Search for content in message boards

"The Inquirer" Newspaper, Lancaster, PA

"The Inquirer" Newspaper, Lancaster, PA

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 4:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone tell me where I can find copies of this newspaper? I'm searching for a death notice from January 1879. I believe "The Inquirer" was in print at that time.

Re: "The Inquirer" Newspaper, Lancaster, PA

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 3:10PM GMT
Do you mean the Lancaster Intelligencer newspaper? Civil War era newspapers are available on-line, but do not include newspapers as recent as 1879.

http://lancasterhistory.org/index.php?option=com_content&...

Only the Columbia Spy or the New Holland Clarion are available on-line for the year 1879. You can also write to the Lancaster County Library and ask for a copy of the death notice from microfilm.

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 1:57AM GMT
The paper was called "Inquirer" or "Lancaster Inquirer" and was in print from 1859-1886 (according to the information I have found).

Thanks for the advice about the death notice. Death notices would have been in the local newspapers, correct?

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 2:55AM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2011 2:56AM GMT
Here's another good place to look for information about newspapers. There is information about when the newspaper was published, and sometimes you can find digital images of some of the issues. In this case, the Lancaster Intelligencer is available from 1880 to 1890. There are also useful links to lists of all newspapers published in Lancaster City, Lancaster County, PA, etc.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 1:32AM GMT
Unfortunately, I'm looking for an issue from January 1879, but thanks for the info!

Posted: 7 Jun 2011 10:01PM GMT
The Lancaster Historical Society has copies of all of the papers and will do it for you, for a fee.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic