Search for content in message boards

Old version of Family Tree Maker

Old version of Family Tree Maker

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 3:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have an old version on family tree maker and quite a few DVD's with SS, marriages, family tree volumes, verson 3.01 and I have a new XP computer and I would like to start back doing my genealogy research again. I would hate to think that all those stuff I've bought is useless now. Is there an upgrade I can purchase or patch so I can use it on XP?

Re: Old version of Family Tree Maker

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 8:13AM GMT
snjones,

The current versions will run on XP. Version 2008 does not, yet, have the ability to view a CD directly from within the program. Version 2006/16 does.

There is a downloadable / free Family Archive Viewer that will also allow you to view the CDs.

http://www.genealogy.com/abtffiv.html

Russ

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 3:09PM GMT
If you have invested in many FTM data disks, you might want to get a copy of FTM16 now. The collector's edition is still available from online vendors at a very reasonable price. FTM16 will automatically read your old files and data disks and the collector's edition also includes a one-year subscription to Ancestry.com.

>>and I would like to start back doing my genealogy research again...<<

FTM16 has all the tools to help you get back into your research. Once you are caught up, TGN should have an even newer version for you to consider.

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 2:44PM GMT
Important!
Do not download or install the Family Archive Viewer until you have read and understand the following:
If you have a copy of Family Tree Maker between versions 4.0 and 16 (2006), you should not download the viewer. Your version of Family Tree Maker does everything (and more) that the Family Archive Viewer does.

Family Archive Viewer 11.0 runs on Windows 95 and above.

Do not install the Family Archive Viewer into a directory where you have any version of Family Tree Maker installed.

You should make a backup copy of your Family File before opening it with the Family Archive Viewer. Versions of Family Tree Maker before 11.0 will not be able to read it after you open it in the Family Archive Viewer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions