Search for content in message boards

Balfour Plantation Information?

Balfour Plantation Information?

Posted: 22 Jan 2005 4:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi!

I am currently continuing research on my family, who heavily inhabited the Lake Providence, LA area from the mid to late 1800's and early 1900's to about 1930. (Quite a few relatives still live there to this day!) Our main surname is Atlas, but that also includes the Lucas and Phillips lines.

I am trying to locate more information on the Balfour Plantation, as I have found that my Great Great Grandfather, King Atlas (listed as King Atlass on the 1870 US Census) was there. In addition to him, I believe that his mother's family was there too, their last name is Day, but I have yet to find a connection on that end.

I have located a website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ajac/lacarroll.htm that lists slaveholders for Carroll Parish, which lists the estate of William S. Balfour (who held 103 slaves, and also held land in Mississippi). In doing even more research, I found another website http://www.rootsweb.com/~msissaq2/balfour.html, which had information about William S. Balfour's family and how they inhabited Issaquena County, MS which is directly west of Lake Providence, LA and East Carroll parish heading across Lake Providence.

Unfortunately, because of the vagueness in the 1860 US Census, only ages, genders, race (and other elements) are listed for slaves. If anyone has any records from Balfour Plantation, or could point me in the right direction, that would be great!!

Thanks in advance!
http://www.atlasfamily.org

Re: Balfour Plantation Information?

Posted: 5 Jun 2005 2:01PM GMT
It is your last name that drew my attention. I am related to the Sewells of Lake Providence, La. But also I have a lot of family in Lake Providence and East and West Carroll Parish. The last names are Davis and Marks..any connecrions?

Re: Balfour Plantation Information?

Nicka Sewell (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2005 8:04PM GMT
Hi Connie!

My father's side of the family came out of New Orleans. His grandfather was named James Benjamin Sewell and died before his father (my grandfather) was born. He was only 25. My great grandmother's name was Theresa Holmes Sewell. I believe she stayed in New Orleans until her death.

I did find some Sewell's in East Carroll parish, and I found that odd. :) I've barely scratched the surface regarding my father's side of the family, but you just gave me the iniative to find out more about them! I have done a lot of work on my mother's side, which is the one that originated from and still lives or near in Lake Providence, LA.

Lake Providence

Posted: 8 Jun 2005 4:24PM GMT
Hi Nicka!
Thanks for responding. My father's side of the family is based out of Lake Providence, LA .Both his maternal side(Davis) and his father's side(Marks)
have strong ties in East Carroll Parish and West Carroll Parish

The Sewells that I am related to came from Concordia Parish around Vidalia,Louisiana and then made their way to Lake Providence. Some currently live in California.

What names on your mother's side would you be researching?

Connie

Re: Lake Providence

Nicka Sewell (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2005 9:12PM GMT
Wow. I live in CA. I was raised in the south and now live in the north. The irony!

My main surname is Atlas. The family has been in the Lake Providence area since about 1840. The prominent men in the family were named King Atlas, Sr., his son King Atlas, Jr., his son Louis Bareford "Babe" Atlas, Sr. and his son Francis Joseph Atlas, Sr. Uncle Joseph (as we called him) was involved in the voter registration fight in the Lake Providence area and testified for the Civil Rights Commission which helped get the Voting Rights Act passed. He was very involved civically until his death in 1999.

We are also related to the Russells, Scotts, Facens, Nervous', Phillips, Wilsons and Rosbys from the East and West Carroll parish area. What are the names you're researching?

You can also check out our website at http://www.atlasfamily.org.

Posted: 22 Nov 2007 4:48AM GMT
Surnames: Sewell, Atlas
Hi Connie.

I was going back through old messages on the East Carroll Parish Board on Ancestry.Com and I saw an exchange we had a couple years ago.

I'm not sure if you still are using this email address, but I have confirmed that my great grandfather came from Concordia Parish, LA, which means that we may have a connection! Please e-mail me as soon as you can so we can compare notes!

Posted: 24 Nov 2007 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Marks, Davis
Hello!!

Yes I am still here. Hoping for a small clue. My regular e-mail address is CRMarks@aol.com. I would love compare notes!!

Connie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions