Search for content in message boards

The Alcock Family of Kingsley in Staffordshire

The Alcock Family of Kingsley in Staffordshire

Posted: 21 Dec 2007 11:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Alcock, Empson, Locker
Hello,
Does anyone have any information on the Alcocks of Kingsley, Staffs. I am especially interested in the famous potter Samuel Alcock, b 1799, son of Thomas and Katherine. I am keen to find out the maiden name of Katherine and that of Samuel's wife, Elizabeth. Does anyone know how they were linked to the Empson and Locker families? Samuel's eldest son was Joseph Locker Alcock. I am a direct descendant of Samuel's son Thomas, who became a civil servant in India. I have much information already on this family and am willing to share it.

Thanks,

John

John

Re: The Alcock Family of Kingsley in Staffordshire

Posted: 24 Dec 2007 11:30AM GMT
Surnames: Alcock Locker
Hi John,

I have some information about Samuel Alcock from Dianne Shenton:
http://www.bmsgh.org/MembersInterests/A.htm

Katherine's maiden name was Locker. Unfortunately, I can't find answers to your other questions.

Merry Christmas!

Rob.

Posted: 24 Dec 2007 2:44PM GMT
Many thanks Rob. I have a great deal of info of subsequent generations if anyone is interested.

Merry Christmas.

John

Posted: 4 Sep 2008 1:32PM GMT
Dear John,
I am Samuel, the Potter's, great, great grandson and am well aware of the connection with the Empsons as my grandmother and father often mentioned them as a 'well-to-do' branch of the Alcock family. I had understood that they had hyphonated their name into 'Empson-Alcock' but have never been able to find any of them.
I was born in Portland House in Burslem which was built or bought by the Alcocks around the middle of the nineteenth century. I think it is now a Probation Office but it was a family home until we left for Africa in 1948.
Let me know what details I can help you with.
Kind Regards,
Philip (Alcock)

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 12:44PM GMT
Dear Philip,

Thanks for getting back to me. So you know where I fit in, my great, great grandfather was J C Bailey, Manager of Doultons in Burslem. His wife was Sidney Marie Josephine Alcock, daughter of Thomas Alcock. Thomas was the son of Samuel, the potter.

I am trying to work out how the name Empson came to be tied to the Alcocks. Throughout various branches that originated in Kingsley, Empson appears as a first name, middle name and as part of a surname. Whilst Samuel, the potter, named his son James Empson Alcock there are other Alcocks listed in census data for Burslem using Empson at that time too. I know that there was a Burslem solicitor by the name of Joseph Alcock who named his son Empson Alcock. I would love to know how he is related to Samuel.

If you are descended from Dr John Alcock I have a good picture of him as well as Mary Bowers, his second wife. I believe he lived at the house you mention. I discovered these whilst clearing my grandmother's house.

Kind regards,

John

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 1:54PM GMT
Dear John,
I am afraid that I cannot help you regarding how the Empson name fits into the family except to say that my father and grandmother always told me that the 'Empson Alcocks' were direct relatives and were the wealthy part of the family. I am the great grandson of Dr John Alcock and I have pictures of him, probably the one you mention. I understand that the original stands or stood in one of the board rooms of the North Staffordshire infirmary.
Dr John Alcock's various children included Samuel King Alcock, my grandfather. He was a GP practising from Portland House. He was a local expert on porcelain and was a certifying physician and a medical referee in the local courts. He was mayor of Hanley in 1924 or thereabouts. He had three brothers who were all surgeons. I think two were half-brothers via Dr John's second wife. His direct brother was Reginald ('Reg') who was a surgeon and who gained an OBE for some reason. Then there were Arnold and Frank, the two half brothers. Both were surgeons, Arnold in Gloucester and Frank in Lincoln. Each served in World War I and each was a significant rugby player. Arnold played one match for England vs Springboks in 1906. Many said that Frank ( who played for Sussex I think ) was the better of the two players and that Arnold was picked 'by mistake'. Arnold help found the Gloucester rugby club.
The Baileys remained very close friends and my mother who is now 93 has fond memories of one or more of them from 1946 -47 before we sold Portland House in 1948 and left for Africa where I remained until abandoning the sinking Zimbabwe in 1986 and returning to UK with nothing except 3 children and a wife and mother. I was a lawyer there and a partner in a good law firm that still struggles on. At 42 in 1988 I requalified as an English lawyer and prosecuted with CPS until 2001 when I joined the UN and prosecuted war crime in Kosovo. I still do the same thing in Bosnia where I plan to work for another year or so before retiring.
Reg had a doctor son, Rex who had a son, Micheal. They were all pretty well off and went to Rugby. Michael has two children by his second wife and is a publishers agent. I think he is pretty well off and his son, Edmund, is destined for Dragon School if my gossip is accurate.
I have three children, none yet married. My son, Colin, is a lovely boy and retains interest in the family.
Well, that is a bit of update but I will try to do a little more digging on the Empsons.
Someone who may be able to help is the BBC war historian, Peter Caddick-Adams. He is the adopted son of John Caddick-Adams whose mother was an Alcock. He had a very keen interest in the family history.
Best Wishes,
Philip

Posted: 14 Oct 2010 2:13PM GMT
Surnames: King Alcock
I am John Lucas and my mother was Francis Violet Lucas(nee Hollinshead) who was in service to Dr and Mrs King Alcock for well over 20 years at Portland House and until her marriage in 1938 she lived there. As a child I often went to work with my mother and can remember the doctor sitting me on his knee and teaching me to play the piano. I also know that he could speak chinese which he learned from the old gramaphone tubes.
I am curious to know if you are one of the twins who I played with as a boy. Also which of the sons was your father? Your mother would surely remember my mother and possibly me. In the 1911 census there is a Col King Alcock living at Portland House listed as the doctor's son - do you know who this was? He was born in 1880.

Posted: 14 Oct 2010 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: King Alcock
Dear Mr Lucas,
I am one of the twins. My father was Colin King Alcock and the man who taught you piano was my grandfather, Samuel King Alcock. I was born in Portland House in 1946 and my twin is a girl named Anne. My grandfather was a doctor and also a Justice of the Peace. He had been Mayor of Handley in 1924 I think. He did speak some Chinese and I still have various pieces of far eastern porcelain that came from Portland House. My family went to Rhodesia after 1948 and I grew up there. My dear father died there in 1976 and my mother, Helena (who was born in South America) is still alive and is living in Ireland with my twin.
I am a lawyer and spent nearly 39 years in Africa. I came back to England in 1986 and then joined the UN in 2001 and spent 8 years in Kosovo and Bosnia prosecuting war crime. I was awarded an OBE in June's birthday honours ( I don't say this to boast but to allow you to be truly up to date with the fortunes of the King-Alcocks. In fact I am very poor. I left Africa with nothing and had to rebuild my family from scratch. I have three children, two daughters in UK and a son who is a teacher in Kenya.
I hope that this information is helpful to you. My mother often spoke of your mother and will be thrilled to hear your news.
Very sincerely,
Philip (King) Alcock

Posted: 18 Oct 2010 6:02AM GMT
Dear John,
I passed your email to my 94 year old mother, Helen (Colin's wife) and she was so excited to hear your memories.She remembers you well and says you had lovely little red cheeks as a young child. Your mother helped her collect her first cooking receipes.
Mom (Helen) begs you to phone her. She is with Anne, my other twin, in Cork and the number is 00353212398590.
Best Regards,
Philip Alcock
per page

Find a board about a specific topic