Search for content in message boards

ORR's of County Down, N. Ireland

ORR's of County Down, N. Ireland

Posted: 1 Dec 2008 1:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ORR
Hello,

Looking to connect with anyone who has ORR ancestors from the following areas; Glastry, Balleyhalbert, Inishargy and Portavogie. Some or all of this area is also referred to as St. Andrew's.

Regards,
Richard James Orr

Re: ORR's of County Down, N. Ireland

Posted: 2 Dec 2008 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: ORR MCGOWAN MCKITTRICK
Hi Richard-
My gr gr grandfather, ALEXANDER ORR MCGOWAN, (b 1812)came from Ballyhalbert - I believe his mother was an ORR, and his wife's(MARGARET MCKITTRICK, b 1813, in Lisleen)) mother was an ORR as well. Margaret's sister Eliza was married to a JAMES ORR, who was a pastor at a Presbyterian church - not sure which one, though.

Do any of those names ring a bell?

Posted: 2 Dec 2008 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: ORR
Hello Pat,

Thank you for your response.
I have seen the names before. I cannot tell at this time if they are close relations to mine. I am hoping to acquire a few ORR family lists and then hopefully overlay them.
That maybe easier said than done as ORR was a common name however if we can attach a few families then it was worth the effort. There was a Rev James ORR at Newmills. If you Google it you can check it out.
I will keep you advised.

Regards,
Richard

Posted: 3 Dec 2008 1:20PM GMT
Ok Richard, thank you for your response - I will keep this in mind!

I wish you the best on your search!

Pat

Posted: 8 Apr 2009 3:45PM GMT
Hello,
My great grandfather Robert Orr was born in Northern Ireland in 1855/56. County Down is a strong possibility. His parents names were Eliza Black and either James or John Orr. I haven't been able to get any further than these names.

Robert immigrated to Toronto, Canada in about 1880.

Any information you have would be helpful. Thank-you.

Posted: 18 Jul 2009 12:52AM GMT
I am trying to find the way that the Orr family was related to my Russell family of Annalong. I do not have the maiden name of my 3rd great grandmother, Isabel (-?-) Russell, wife of John Russell, farmer of Clesh, Annalong, County Down.

In America, there were "Shea" cousins who were related somehow to the Russells. James Shea (or O'Shea) did NOT come from County Down, but met and married Isabel Orr in NY. I find sisters and/or nieces who are named Jennie and Lottie Orr. Jennie married a Walter Henry, and her marriage and death certificates list her father as James Orr and mother as Margaret Tieman. (One of the witnesses to Jennie's marriage is a Frank Orr.) I find this family in the 1870 census for NYC. With them are children Maria (age 6), Margaret (?AKA Jennie)(age 5), and Charlotte, age 5 months.

In the 1880 census, this family is missing, except for Charlotte, who is living with James Annett and his wife Charlotte (?Orr), and is described as James Annett's niece. She is 10 and attending school. James Annett has a Beer Saloon.

Is there anyone researching this family? I am looking for further info, so I can tie them to my Russells.....the names Orr and Annett are common in the Kilkeel area of Down.

Posted: 31 Aug 2009 4:25AM GMT
I believe my Great Grandfather's mother may have been a Margaret Orr originally from Ireland. Her husband was John McMullian or McMullen (various spellings--McMillan, etc.) who may have been from Scotland or Ireland. They were in Montreal, Quebec, Canada I believe when my Great Grandfather was born in 1847, but I believe they immigrated sometime previous to that from Ireland. My Great Grandfather's name was shown as William John McMullian on the birth record, but when he moved to Ontario and later Minnesota the name was McMillan.

I did find an Irish marriage record for Saul Parish, Downpatrick, County Down, Northern Ireland for an 1844 marriage between a John McMullan and a Margaret Orr. That was from this Ancestry site from the Irish Records Extractin Database which didn't provide a lot of info. I don't know if this could be the ones I'm looking for, but they sound very similar. Would like to know their birth information and parentage if possible.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic