Search for content in message boards

Ancestry

Ancestry

Abbie DeShazo (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dowdy, Wilson
I am looking for ancestral info on the following:

James Dowdy, born circa 1826 perhaps in Obion Co., married Jane(maiden name unk.) circa 1850 Obion Co. Father of Malinda Jane Dowdy, born circa Pemiscott Co., Mo.circa 1860.

John Wilson, born circa 1748 in Rowan Co., N.C. died Obion Co. after 1830. Married to Rebecca Sara Boone circa 1784 in Rowan Co.N.C. Father of James Wilson. born circa 1792 Rowan Co., N.C. died circa 1860 in Obion Co.
Posted: 10 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: WILSON
I think the John Wilson you mentioned above was at one time in Williamson County, TN possibly with several brothers. In fact I think there might have been six Wilsons in Williamson County, TN who were either brothers or if not brothers, related since they all seemed to know each other and each others business. Two are mentioned as living in Obion Co. TN - John & William Wilson and a third, Thomas Wilson moved to Obion Co. where he died in 1831. There is some information on them on my website, WILSONS IN WILLIAMSON COUNTY, TN. The page is called "Six Wilson Brothers". I'd like to know more about these families.

1860 Obion Co TN Census, Dist 10

TnObion (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dowdy
P.O. was Silvertop, which is now Tiptonville in Lake Co.

James Dowdy, 41, m, farmer, GA
Josephine, 30, f, GA
Catherine, 16, f, GA
Martha A, 14, f, GA
George W, 12, m, GA
Elizabeth Bennett, 6,f, GA
Henry Smith, 16, m, farmer, GA
Clark (?) Whiteworth, 30, m, farmer, TN

Wilson Family Obion Co. TN 1850

Posted: 12 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: WILSON, MOORE
I'm not positive but there is a Wilson Family listed on the 1850 census Obion Co. TN p. 385B who could be the ones you are looking for.

Perry Wilson 30 KY
Lucretia 22 TN
Jane 03 TN
James 1/12 TN
Louisa More 21 TN

Perry Wilson married Lucretia Moore, 6 Sep 1846 Obion Co. TN

On the 1860 census it seems his name is listed as "C.P. Wilson"

Wilson Family

Jean Juchau (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Lippard
My g-grandfather was James Walker Wilson, aka, "Finger Jim", b.11-12-1849 in Hornbeak,Obion Cty.,Tennessee, he died 5-6-1926 in Raton NM, and is buried there. On 7-25-1877 he married Annie Marier Lippard, b. 2-14-1854, in Western Tennessee, d.7-2-1897 in Hornbeak Tenn. She is buried in Cobb's Chapel Cemetery in Hornbeak. They had 4 children that they raised in Obion Tennessee. Children: Daisy Ella (or Ellen), Vera Loxie, Frank(?), James W., Jr.(Boot). Other than their marriage notice, and a Deed to 1 acre in the 5th District, dated 8-5-1895, and noted in book #4, pg. 239, recorded 8-12-1895, I have been unable to find any records or family connections for them. I know that there were several Wilson families in the area, and several Lippard families too, but can't connect. On his death certificate his father's name is listed as "William Willson (sp??). Other than my grandmother, Vera Loxie, I know nothing of the where abouts of the other children either. Appreciate any information or help. Thanks

Wilson Family -Mess#11720/11714

Jean Juchau (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Lippard
Thank you for your reply......
I found the Perry Wilson family on the 1850/1860 census' some time back, noteing that they had a son born that they called "James" in 1849. I believe they later showed up in Kentucky(?), but since the father's name is shown as "Perry/C.P.", I have kept the record, but set them aside in my files because they do not seem to fit my Wilson's profile. Also on the 1850 census the family of James Madison Wilson had a son born which was named "James", and he seemed to fit except that with later research I found that this "James" married an "Oyer", and my James Walker only had one wife who was "Annie". He did not re-marry after her death in 1897. Interestingly, going back over my notes on the Tiptonville census for 1860, I found a William L.(?)Wilson, a farm laborer with an 11 yr. old son named "Walker". No wife or other children were shown, and I do known that there was at least one other son, his name is unknown, but believe his nick names was "Hands". This may fit since my Wilsons later fished commercially from Reelfoot Lake. Perhaps this added information will lead to something. Thank you again. I appreciate your effort.

Jean Juchau's Lippard family

Posted: 22 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Lippard, Lee, Wright
Jean -

I've been searching for Sampsons and this obit showed up linked to the Lee family. I know it's probably not one to light up your day, but it IS a Lippard:

John Calvin Lee 7/23/1897---9/27/1942
Posted by G.Mathis on Wed, 09 Feb 2000
Surname: Lee, Bell, Miller, Mays, Cain, Sampson, Hooten

Funeral Services for the 2 officers who lost their lives, Sunday, morning attempting to arrest Clayton Lippard, 34, were held this afternoon. Services for John Calvin Lee, 45, of Elbridge, were held at 3:30 p.m. at the Elbridge M. E. Church with the Rev. H. H. Royster of Obion officiating. Interment followed in Cobb's Chapel Cemetary. Pallbearers were Sheriff W. O. Walker, H. M. Blevins, and Aud Gill of Obion, Elbert Burcham of Woodland Mills, Hubert Vaught of Clayton, and R. A. Everett of Union City. The King Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

Mr. Lee, who was regarded by Sheriff Walker and his wide circle of friends throughout the county, as one of the best deputy sheriffs to serve in Obion County in many years, was the son of Mr. James Robert and Rebecca Isabell Perry Lee, who live a mile from Troy on Hornbeak road. He was born in the Shaw's Store neighborhood, District 12 (Shawtown).

On 4/15/ 1917 married to Eula B. Bell who survives him. After serving 4 years as a constable in District 9, he became a deputy sheriff serving 4 yrs. under Sheriff Charles Brush, 6 yrs under Sheriff John S. Burcham and on Sept. 1 under Sheriff Walker. He had served as a deputy tax assessor under Mrs. Scott Easley and Clint Adams. He had been a farmer all his life and his farm home was just a quarter mile east of Elbridge.

In addition to his parents and wife, he is survived by 7 children, Mrs. Donna Miller of Minnick, Mrs. C. L. Miller of Steele, Mo, Mrs. Ezra Mays, who is a bookeeper in the Bank of Elbridge, Earl Franklin Lee,17, Robert Edward and Hazel Lee all attending school at Cloverdale, Loretta Lee 4 yrs. old; 3 brothers, Lonnie and George of Chester, Pa., and James of Troy, and 4 sisters, Mrs. Lola Cain of Obion, Mrs. Ora Sampson of Virginia, Mrs. Mary Hooten and Miss Susie Lee of Troy.

NOTE: John Wright of Dyer County was the other officer who lost his life that night. Excerpt taken from UC Messenger

Sharon Cunningham

Jean Juchau's Lippard family

Posted: 22 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Lippard, Lee, Wright
Jean -

I've been searching for Sampsons and this obit showed up linked to the Lee family. I know it's probably not one to light up your day, but it IS a Lippard

Sharon Cunningham
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions