Search for content in message boards

Castleberry/Pangle Families of Dade Co. Ga

Castleberry/Pangle Families of Dade Co. Ga

Posted: 8 Jan 2006 3:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jan 2006 3:37AM GMT
Looking for descendants/ancestors of Mark and Mary Warren Castleberry, especially Frances Marion "Cul" Castleberry, who was my gg-gfather. I believe Mark's father was also Mark from Hall Co. Ga. There were Mark and Mark, Jr. on the 1830 census, and they won the Georgia Gold Lottery. Mark, Jr. came to Dade County, Ga. and was one of the first settlers in that area. Anyone have info?

Re: Castleberry/Pangle Families of Dade Co. Ga

Gene Rooks (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2006 6:32PM GMT
Surnames: Castleberry, Tallent, Tedder, Putnam
Diane, Your Mark Jr. who md. Mary Warren I am showing as the son of Odian Castleberry. Odian is a brother of Mark Sr. Please remember back then Jr. didn't necessarily mean son of, it just meant younger than two members of the same family with the same name. Here is info I show on Odian:
The will of Odean Castleberry made 31 Mar 1841 is on page 4 of the Ledger covering May Term 1844, for Forsyth Co., GA
Executors: William Castleberry, B. W. Castleberry, Timothy Castleberry, Henry Tedder, David Putman
Heirs: wife Margaret in her widowhood at her death or remarriage divided among my children to their satisfaction if not equally divided.
Children: Mark Castleberry
David Castleberry
Sarah Tedder
Liry Putman
John Castleberry
Odum Castleberry
William Castleberry
Benjamin W. Castleberry
Timothy Castleberry
Witnesses:
William Heath, David Tallent Jr., David Tallent, Sr.
These records are in the Probate Court, Forsyth County Courthouse, Cumming GA 30040.

Posted: 10 Jan 2006 3:08AM GMT
Thanks for the information. I have been searching for years, and don't have any information, except what I have been able to get in Dade County. Most of my relations are buried without stones in cemeteries around the area. My mother descended from the son of Mark, Frances Marion, who went by several nicknames. I don't have too much on him either, except some of the downline.

Gene Rooks (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2006 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: Castleberry
Diann, if you have access to a copy of Vol. II, Castleberry and Allied Families, by Dr. Jesse Castleberry, it will take you all the way back to the emigrant, Heinrich Kesselberg. I believe Dr. Castleberry still has a few copies for sale. Gene Rooks, Gotha, Fla.

Posted: 10 Jan 2006 3:55AM GMT
Gene,
I might be interested in the copy. I don't believe he has any of the information on Frances Marion down, but it is possible. My cousin and just in the last several years, have actually put FM with Mark and Mary. We were working with a minimal ability of information from the locals, who would or did not know the information. How do I contact him? Which family have you descended from?
Diann

Gene Rooks (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2006 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Castleberry
Diann, no, the book has no info from Francis Marion down. It only shows a comment from another researcher of Mark having a son Francis among a list of children. However, it does have information all the way back to the emigrant on Mark, his father Odean, his father John (killed by the Tories), his father John, son of the emigrant Heinrich Kesselberg. Some of that lineage lacks specific documentation, but I believe it is the best source of clues and information you are going to find. Dr. Castleberry can be written to at jcastleberry@cfl.rr.com. In the interest of full disclosure, I assisted in compiling that information into family groupings, and do not claim infallibility. Any further primary data to assist in verification is always greatly welcomed.
I have two CASSELBERRY connections to the family, coming from the ones who stayed in Pennsylvania. All the CASTLEBERRY families in the early South came from their brother William, with his seven sons, who migrated out early, and his nephew John, son of John, another brother, who unfortunately is the less well proven of them. Gene Rooks

Bill Powell (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2006 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Castleberry, Pangle, Powell
I have some Castleberry/Pangle in my line and it may be this line from Dade County, GA you are talking about. I have a Martha Castleberry b. 1869 I believe, that was married to George Thomas Powell b.1866. I know they lived in Rising Fawn/Trenton, GA area. Martha Castleberry had a sister that married a Pangle. I believe this sisters name was Sarah, that married Thomas Pangle. I have a picture of the four of them together if that would help. I would be glad to share any information I have. wgp2@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions