Search for content in message boards

Franco Prussian War

Franco Prussian War

Posted: 7 Nov 2009 6:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schmidt
I have recently discovered my Great grandfather Gustav Schmidt served in this war and was awarded medals. He was born in 1851 at Luben, Schlesien, (then)Germany. He emigrated to Ausralia in 1873. Can anyone help me find his military record and/or the medals he would have obtained.

Thank you
Scott

Re: Franco Prussian War

Posted: 7 Nov 2009 3:36PM GMT
I too am attempting to get a military record (for August Löloff) from that time period. Follow is a quote from a letter written by his sister in 1920:

"...beloved brother August. He was shot in the head while he was eating lunch, between one and two o'clock, in Orleans, France, December 2, 1870/71. He died instantly.

"....August took part in the seige at Metz and Paris and was also killed in action in the Battle of Orleans on December 2, 1870, shot through the head. According to the Army Chaplain Lossel, August is buried in the graveyard at Loigny. Grenadier Lichtwart, lst Company, 89 Regiment, Grenadier Schroder, Company 89, and a Grenadier from the 90th Regiment whose name I don't recall; and Fusiliers Schlieman, Loloff, and Burmeister from the 9the Company, 90th Regiment are all buried in the second grave next to the wall separating the graveyard from the village road. He was a slender noble looking man with fair hair, athletic body, and a gentle, cheerful disposition."

Ironically, she wrote the letter to her brother George in San Antonio, Texas not knowing he had died in the flu epidemic of 1917. Her 42 page letter describes many of the hardships she endured during WWI including the death of one son.

I received a reply to my request for information. These old records are now unavailable until June 2010 since they are undergoing preservation treatment. If you so desire I will send you a copy of the translation of the reply I received.

I would appreciate any information you may have on the battles mentioned in the letter.

Floreda

tallygators@earthlink.net

Posted: 8 Jan 2012 3:30AM GMT
Ancestry.com has the records from some of the books on German personnel from that war.

I just found my great grandfather. It is in Fraktur but easy to translate. Just put in your relatives name and look for hits in the military section...hopefully it will be there. Totally wonderful to find..tells of the battler they were in, what their rank was where they were from and where they served

Posted: 25 Jan 2012 7:21AM GMT
Hi Mary
Could you please tell me whereabouts on Ancestry.com those records of the books are that you mentioned?
Thanks, Lyn

Posted: 25 Jan 2012 6:09PM GMT
Baden > Verlust-Listen der Grossherzoglich Badischen Division aus den Feldzügen 1870-71., 1871 >

It is called Germany and Austria Military and Marine Unit Histories 1760-1930

I put my ggf name Julius Kuhlmann in the search..put country as Germany, bunch of stuff comes up, it is on the second page, about half way down..so I did not find it..it found me...pretty neat though..I do have the library version of ancestry at work..not sure if it looks the same.

Good luck...The man was not my relative as he died in that war.

Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions