Search for content in message boards

Isaac Thomas Cherokee Name

Isaac Thomas Cherokee Name

Larry Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2002 4:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
In order to trace Isaac Thomas Cherokee family I am looking for a possible Cherokee name for the Trader Isaac Thomas of Tenn. Isaac Thomas lived with the Cherokee for over 45 years. The Cherokee had to have a Cherokee name for him. If you can be of help please contact me at lumberlink2000@yahoo.com thanks Larry Thomas

Re: Isaac Thomas Cherokee Name

LouAnn (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2002 2:04AM GMT
There was a Isaac Thomas in Marion Co Tn I have a book that shows Cherokee Indian Agency Pass Book Tennessee Records 1801,1804 by Return Joathan Meigs at Southwest Point Tn now Kingston it shows a Isaac Thomas and a Jesse Thomas also in this book it says that in July 1776Nancy Ward
Told Isaac Thomas That Dragging Canoe,The Raven,and Oconostota would be Attacking the Whites,Isaac Thomas left Echota to warn the Settlers.Hopes this helps,LouAnn

Posted: 20 Nov 2002 12:10AM GMT
Thanks this is a great help!!! I did not know about this book. Isaac Thomas was a trader with the Cherokee and this book may be the only source I know of that traced the goings and commings of the traders.Also during all my research I have not run across a Jesse Thomas.This may have been another of his Cherokee Children like my 4th great grandfather John Thomas. Do you have a Mary Catherine Thomas,Nancy J.Thomas or a John Thomas. Thanks so much. I have been fighting an uphill battle proving Isaac Thomas' Cherokee family. Thanks again Larry Thomas

LouAnn (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2002 5:58AM GMT
Larry, This is all I found Isaac and Jesse Thomas permitted to
pass through Cherokee Nation on way to Franklin Co GA April 28,1803 Found this in Mcminn Co Tn web site.I have not seen the other names you are looking for but will let you know if I find them, I,am trying to find Mary A.?that married a McCanless it said she was Indian,Hope this Info Helps You.
LouAnn

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 11:09PM GMT
Louann
Thanks for the Info.I will look at the Mc Minnville web site.I found a Mary Thomas on the Cherokee Hester Rolls 1883 in the book Cherokee Roots by Bob Blankenship,if this is any help. Thanks Larry Thomas

renee Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2006 3:00AM GMT
hello Larry
I was wondering if you had any idea who your thomas married in the cherokee nation?
you see I too have seen the name thomas's and it is a name that my great grandma said is a relation I sure think. but I have never seen anything that tells what the relationship might have been , and of course I do not remember what it was that grandma said the relationship was.. i just have the Thomas name in my head as a possible related name.. it sure isn't a very common indian name.. but I do think that oneof your grandpa may have married someone in my family. any way do you have dates and or any names of the indian women that your Thomas family married? or has any one done DNA to se eif it is a native Y line? renee

Posted: 23 Jun 2006 3:49AM GMT
Isaac Thomas Cherokee wife's name as called by whites was Elizabeth Mulligan. One of their son's name was Jesse/John. As for as DNA I doubt that there would be little or no trace since this took place in the 1700's. By the way the information I have accumalted is being written into a screen play based on actual facts and with a lot of writen and recorded orginal dialog.
Thanks Larry Thomas

renee Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2006 3:57AM GMT
well I don't know the name mulligan so maybe someone closer / in years to us married someone from your family.. hum. but thomas is one of names I have my eyes peeled for.... but so far I havent' found any connections. .. so maybe someday I will figure out what grandma was talking about concerning the thomas's .
or if you ever find how your mulligan is native do let me know. thanks renee

Posted: 23 Jun 2006 1:32PM GMT
Where was your Grandmother from and what was her maiden name. I may have something that may click for you. you can e-mail me direct at lumberlink2000@yahoo.com

Posted: 23 Jun 2006 1:36PM GMT
It is very confusing but a lot of eastern band Tribes had white names even in the early 1700's. Their was a Creek Cheif named Mc Givilray. White names among the Cherokee and Creek are very common.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic