Search for content in message boards

First World War Regiments

First World War Regiments

Cathy McCormick (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2002 9:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

I am at a complete loss as to how I can go about finding what regiment my Great Gradfather fought in in the First Wolrd War. He was from Ardress in County Armagh or possibly Portadown in County Armagh. His name seems to be unusual for this area - he was James Tennyson (known as Jemmy). According to family folklore he was well decorated in the British Army. I believe he died after the war as a result of the gassing he suffered while serving. There must be some way of accessing records that would give me an insight to his time in the army and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,
Cathy mcCormick

Re: First World War Regiments

Posted: 4 Nov 2002 6:24PM GMT
Edited: 20 Feb 2003 7:22PM GMT
Hi Cathy
There is a J Tennyson listed in the Commonwealth war graves site. He died on the 6 January 1918 aged 24. He was serving with the 6th Bn Royal Enniskilling Fusiliers. He was the son of James and Anne Tennyson. He is buried in Benfieldside Cemetry, Consett, Co Durham. This suggests to me that he wasn't killed in action but died from injuries received prior to being brought back to this country. Sorry I can't help more.
Pete.

Cathy McCormick (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2002 9:47PM GMT
Hi Pete,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to look that up for me but it cannot be the same J Tennyson. My Greatgrandfather died here in Ireland. My Mum tells me that he used to have to sleep propped upright as a result, we believe, of being gassed during the war. He died in his home in Annaghmore and is buried nearby. I am really interested in how one finds out to which regiment a soldier was in during the war. I have heard that a soldiers records give lots of details even down to eye colour etc. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I would og about this I would be very grateful.

Cathy

Nev (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2002 7:27PM GMT
Unfortunately to access soldier's records you need to know the regiment and service number first. The records for the First World War which are held at the PRO are far from complete due to fire damage.

Have you looked for a newspaper obituary, photograph of him in uniform etc? Do you know what his decorations were? If indeed he held one of the higher rated awards the records are on line.

Good luck.

Denise Pesic (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2003 5:03AM GMT
Hi Cathy,I've been trying to find out about my grandfather in the same war.Contact Joe at jpc@aol.com.He actually sent me a photo of the battalion my grandfather was in.I actually had the discharge paper of when my grandfather was honourably discharged,due to having his arm shot off,this had a number on it,which may have helped.Don't give up,try anything. good luck, Denise

Elizabeth Welch (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2005 11:05PM GMT
Hello Cathy- Your message was posted quite a while ago but just in case you have had no luck I suggest that you "Google" on to The National Archives site (in UK) then follow the links to the World War I Medal Cards section. Good Luck
Liz wELCH

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 5:39AM GMT
Cathy is this YOU??? This is Ellen Storer Sales from Nevada...if you remember..my familty was from Armagh...I have tried to write to you several times....Please answer so I know it is you....Ellen genieelle@aol.com\775-738-2398
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions