Miller Application # 31550
Redcloud Scruggs
Edna, Kansas

ADMITTED
Cousin once removed of Miller app. # 1723-Fannie Chandler

Special Commissioner of the Court of Claims,
601 Ouray Building, Washington, D. C.

Sir:
I hereby make application for such share as may be due me of the fund appropriated by the Act of Congress approved June 30, 1906, in accordance with the decrees of the Court of Claims of may 18, 1905, and May 28,1906, in favor of the Eastern Cherokees. The evidence of identity is herewith subjoined.

1. State full name-
English name- Red Cloud Scruggs
Indian name- E-lah-ga-lah
2. Residence and post office- Edna, Kansas
3. County- LaBette
4. State- Kansas
5. How old are you? 33 years Born 1874
6. Where were you born? Goingsnake District, Cherokee Nation, I. T.
7. Are you married? Yes
8. Name and age of wife or husband- Cora Scruggs 22 years
9. To what tribe of Indian does he or she belong? Cherokee
10. Name all your children who were living on May 28, 1906, giving their ages
1. David Scruggs 4 years
2. Revord Scruggs 2 years
11. Give names of your father and mother, and your mother’s name before marriage-
Father-English name- Samuel Scruggs
Indian name- was a white man
Mother-English name- Mary Scruggs
Indian name-
Maiden name- Mary Brady
12. Where were they born?
Unknown
13. Where did they reside in 1851, if living at that time?
Unknown
14. Date of death of your father and mother
Unknown
15. Were they ever enrolled for money, annuities, land or other benefits? If so, state when and where-
I know that my mother drew ‘strip money’.
16. Name all your brothers and sisters, giving ages, and residences if possible-
1. Phlury Scruggs b. no date deceased
2. Henry Scruggs b. no date deceased
3. Gideon Scruggs b no date deceased
17. State English and Indian names of your grandparents on both father’s and mother’s side, if possible-
Father’s side Mother’s side
*( Gideon Morris) *(Rebecca Morris)
No data Evaline Brady
*Note-Gideon and Rebecca Morris’ names are crossed out. They are actually great grand parents,
parents of Evaline Brady nee Morris)
18. where were they born? I think North Carolina
19 Where did they reside in 1851, if living at that time?
No answer
20 Give names of all their children, and residence if possible-
1. James Brady
2. Gideon Brady
3. Mary Brady
These three are on my grandmother’s side.
21. Have you ever been enrolled for money, annuities, land or other benefits? If so, state when and where-
As a Cherokee, for ‘Bread’ money and Cherokee ‘Strip’ money.
22. To assist in identification, claimant should give the full English and Indian names, if possible, of their
parents and grandparents back to 1835.-
My Great Grand Father, Gideon Morris-Great Grand Mother-Rebecca Morris, Grandmother was
Eveline Brady, and mother Mary Brady, before marriage.
REMARKS

Signed- RedBird Scruggs
July 29, 1907
AFFIDAVIT

Personally appeared before me J. A. Stinger and R. T. McGee, who being duly sworn, on oath depose and say that they are well acquainted with Red Cloud Scruggs who makes the foregoing application and statements, and have know him for 6 years and 7 years, respectively, and know him to be the identical person he represents himself to be, and that the statements made by him are true, to the best of their knowledge and belief, and they have no interest whatever in his claim.

Witness to mark Signatures of Witness
J. A. Stinger
R. T. McGee
July 29, 1907

Re: Miller app. # 31550-Red Cloud Scruggs

Posted: 24 Jun 2002 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Catherine,
I just came across your entry for Red Cloud Scruggs. It is very useful to me because his wife, Cora Stinger, is my wife's great-grand aunt. I was in Edna, Kansas, recently and saw the gravestone of Cora's mother, Louisa Stinger.
Brian Milligan
Oakdale, NY

Posted: 24 Jun 2002 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2004 7:07AM GMT
Thank you very much on the gravesite of Louisa Stinger. Do you by chance have her maiden name? I list her as Louisa Unknown at this time. Along way from NY to Edna Kansas! What cemetery would that have been? I live in Kansas myself and have yet to venture that direction. If you need any of the Scruggs line, just let me know. Thanks, cat

Brian Milligan (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2002 3:51PM GMT
Hi Cat, Louisa's maiden name was Louisa Morris and she descends from a Cherokee chief known as Pathkiller. She was married twice, first to a man of Oneida descent named Lewis Denny and then later to David Stinger. She is buried in Elm Grove Cemetary in Edna, KS, (population about 400) along with one of her daughters, Elanor Lena Hawkins and a grandson, Ralph Hawkins. I have photos of the gravesites if you are interested. I have been researching my wife's ancestry for several months and took a drive to NE Oklahoma to look at the area I had been researching for such a long time, visited places like Vinita and Tahlequah, OK.
I would be very much interested in any Scruggs line info you have and, of course, if you would like anything more from me, please feel free to ask. Thanks, Brian

Posted: 25 Jul 2002 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: Scruggs-Cagle-Johnson
my husbands family line goes back to Henry Scruggs....I think this Red Cloud Scruggs is related through this line...I found Samuel Scruggs listed in the line...would love to hear what you have on this Scruggs line...Helen & Jerry

Posted: 25 Jul 2002 7:36PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2004 7:07AM GMT
Was wondering what info you have on Henry and Samuel. I have listed a Henry J. Scruggs being father to Henry and a Samuel. I'm not sure if my samuel B. Scruggs is for sure of this line or not, But Samuel B. Scruggs is the father to Redcloud. any Dates?

Posted: 10 Aug 2002 7:55PM GMT
Surnames: Scruggs, Turner, Heggie
I also have a Sarah F. Scruggs and a John P. Scruggs in my line of family but what I do have is: in the 1880 census of white co. Ark.:
Robert Milton Scruggs-age 35
Sarah Francis Scruggs-age 34
Sarah E. Scruggs- age 11
Mary A. Scruggs- age 9
Jessee M. Scruggs- age 7
Lillian Etta Scruggs- age 5
James Scruggs- age 3
Franklin Scruggs- age 1
Then the 1900 census of same place is:
Robert M. Scruggs- age 54
Sarah F. Scruggs- age 53
Jesse M. Scruggs- age 27
Lula J. Scruggs- age 19
Johnnie P. Scruggs(went by John)age-17
Joseph I. Scruggs- age13
Eugene Talmage Scruggs(went by Talmage) age-10---he is my grandpa I never knew
The 1910 Census of same place is:
Talmage Scruggs-age 20
Hettie Heggie Scruggs-age 19
Faye Scruggs- age 1
-----------------------------------------
John Scruggs- age 28
Lizzie or Linnie Scruggs-age 22
Corbel? son- age-2
------------------------------------------
Robert M. Scruggs- age 63
Sarah F. Scruggs- age 62
Jessie Scruggs- son- age-31
Irvin Scruggs-son- age-24-------------Talmage Scruggs was born Aug. 21, 1892 and died Feb. 1977 in Mississippi anyone with information about any of these Scruggs please email me at lkoster@alltel.net

Posted: 22 Feb 2003 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2005 1:46AM GMT
Surnames: Scruggs, Box, Blue, King
I am decended from Henry J. Scruggs, father of Sam Scruggs, who is the father of Red Cloud and Nathaniel Pendegrass (N.P.)Scruggs. N.P. and Belvadora Box were my great grandparents. Their daughter Bessie Lee Scruggs married to James Alfred Blue were my grandparents. Do you have any information about Henry and his ancestors? I only have the information that N.P. gave to the court of claims on his application. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If you would like any info on this line I will be glad to share. Thanks!!

Posted: 22 Feb 2003 8:13PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2005 1:46AM GMT
OOpps!! I meant that Henry and Sam were brothers, not father and son. Sam and N.P. were brothers.

Posted: 27 Jun 2003 7:10PM GMT
Were any of the Scruggs married to a Lily Fay Humphreys. Lily Fay was my grandmother. They divorced & then she married a Charles Cloud.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions