Search for content in message boards

Stone Family

Stone Family

Posted: 8 Aug 2003 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Also in reference to my previous posting I find a WILLIAM STONE who owned land on or near Totoskey Creek in Richmond County in 1706.
Does anyone have information on this William?
Thank you,
James Stone

Re: Stone Family

Posted: 25 Sep 2003 7:58PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2006 8:20PM GMT
WILLIAM STONE-1666 POYNTON MANOR CHARLES,MD
DEATH-JAN 13 1707 RICHMOND VA
SPOUSE-SARAH-1645 PENNSYLVANIA
FATHER-THOMAS STONE-1635 ACCOMACK, VA DIED-MAY 1,1717 RICHMOND,VA
SPOUSE-MARY
FATHER-CAPT WILLIAM STONE-1603 DERBYSHIRE,ENGLAND-DEATH-1659 MARYLAND
SPOUSE-VERLINDA GRAVES

Posted: 23 Dec 2003 12:38AM GMT
Edited: 23 Dec 2003 9:39PM GMT
This is definitely my Stones. I have been hitting a deadend for years on William. Thank you. Do you know if any more information exists on this STone branch? My grandmother was Letitia Mae Stone (b. 1899, d.1983). My uncle had been tracing the family tree, but he was only interested in names and dates. I would like other information -- such as where they lived, what they did, etc. I am trying to put together a family history for my dad's birthday, so any information would be appreciated.

Posted: 23 Dec 2003 2:44AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2006 8:20PM GMT
YOU JUST HAVE TO KEEP DIGGING.EVERY TIME I AM ABOUT TO QUIT I UNCOVER SOMETHING.I HAVE A POST ON THE MESSAGE BOARD.I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WILLIAM DAVIS FOR A LONG TIME AND DID NOT THINK I WOULD EVER FIND HIM BUT I JUST DID.NOW I AM HOPING SOMEBODY WILL HELP ME FIND HIS FATHER.WHEN YOU LIVE FAR AWAY FROM THE COURT HOUSES IT MAKES IT HARD SOMETIMES.JUST STAY AFTER IT AND ONE DAY YOU WILL HIT THE JACKPOT. GOOD LUCK

Michael Rawlings (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2004 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Stone
Jim, I'd like to know if you have any references for the connections you've made from William Stone (died Richmond County) to birthdate and place in Maryland, his parentage, etc. We know that this same William Stone purchased land in Old Rappahannock County (later divided into Richmond County and Essex County) in the 1670s and was then referred to as William Stone, Planter, Gloucester County. The birthdate you site of 1665 and location of Maryland do not match what we know about this William. He would not have been over 14 years old at the time of this land purchase, so it is highly unlikely that this is the same person. There were numerous Stone families living in Tidewater Virginia and Maryland at the time, and the name William is common.

We'd all love to connect the William of Richmond County with the prominent Stone family of Maryland, but I have yet to see any proof of that connection.

Please provide any proof or sources that you may have.

Thank you.

Michael Rawlings, Accredited Genealogist and current resident of Essex County, Virginia
(decendant of William and Sarah Stone of Old Rappahannock County and Richmond County)

Posted: 4 Dec 2004 9:49PM GMT

SORRY I AM NOT RELATED.JUST TRYING TO HELP.I HAVE NO OTHER INFORMATION JUST WHAT I COULD FIND ON THE INTERNET.I HAVE FOUND THAT MOST ANY SITE YOU GO YOU WILL FIND ERRORS FOR DATES.BUT IT DOES GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO GO ON.GOOD LUCK.

Posted: 4 Dec 2004 10:37PM GMT
Thanks. While internet searching for genealogical information is enjoyable and easy, it is typically devoid of references and sources - the key to accurate genealogy.

This Stone line is of interest to many people, and if there are sources out there that confirm the parentage, birthdate, etc of William Stone, husband of Sarah, who died in Richmond County, then many of us would appreciate seeing those references. Otherwise, the information is confusing and not helpful and it perpetuates "bad" genealogy and is counter to the intention of the field.

I'm very curious to know if there is any evidence that William Stone in this string of posts was born in Maryland in the 1660s. To date I have not seen any such evidence. The only thing we know about this William Stone prior to his arrival in Old Rappahannock County (later Richmond and Essex - where he owned property on both sides of the Rappahannock River) is that he was living in Gloucester County, Virginia and was a "Planter" there. Gloucester is two counties further east/southeast from Old Rappahannock County, and it was one of the original counties of 17th C. Virginia - thus one of the places where many early immigrants began. The Maryland connection, while very appealing, just hasn't to my knowledge been proven - but I'd love to see any evidence.

Thank you.

Committed to excellence and accuracy in Genealogy.

Posted: 4 Dec 2004 10:59PM GMT
Hi, Jim,

A lot is known about this William Stone and his wife, Sarah. Let me know what you've found out and what you want to know. What we don't know (unless someone is holding out on sources that have alluded the rest of the serious researchers - which is my hope) is his parentage.

All we know is that when he bought the land on Totuskey Creek he was listed in the deed as "Planter, Gloucester County, VA" which is the county just two counties to the east/southeast of Old Rappahannock County. There was a dispute over his will, so there is quite a bit on him in the papers of ORC (now in the Essex County courthouse) and on later transactions which fell in Richmond County (where Totuskey Creek is located). I live right across the river from Totuskey Creek and often take my boat up there to visit and try to pinpoint the 1,000 acres 'plantation'. He also owned a couple of hundred acres across the river on Hoskins Creek - near modern day Tappahannock, Va, but he sold that in about 1700.

William and Sarah and their children and grandchildren belonged to North Farnham Parish (Anglican), and the parish church still standing in great condition was built in the 1730s.

My branch of the family left Richmond County in the 1740s for Amelia County, VA, then central NC, the by the American Revolution they were in Low Country, SC (Georgetown County, later Williamsburg County).

I hope this helps and is of interest. Please let me know if you have more info or if there is anything else I can assist with.

Michael

Posted: 28 May 2005 3:05AM GMT
Michael, maybe you can help me with my Stone line. Supposedly my line moved from Richmond County, Virginia to Warren County, Kentucky. Matilda Stone who was born December 31,1810 in Warren County, and married Archibald Kifer, Sept. 9, 1835, was the daughter of Samuel Stone. He and a Daniel and John are all listed in the Early Tax Lists for this county. Samuel was born probably around 1779. Samuel's father is supposed to be Benjamin Stone, born September 26.1747 in Virginia and died in Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio. His father Josias, was born October 26, 1716 in Richmond Co. His father is supposed to be Josias or Joshua, born about 1685 - 1689, and his parents are William & Sarah. In this same source it says William's parents were John and Sarah Fleet Stone.
I have no facts to back up any of this info, except for Matilda and her father's name being Samuel. If you have any info that could help me proof this line, it would be greatly appreciated. you can e-mail at the address above. Thank you Ellen

Michael (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2005 11:25AM GMT
Hello. Could you please tell me the source that you are using? I'd like to check a number of the things reported.

I may be able to provide you quite a bit about your Stones (the Richmond County generations). William Stone and Sarah moved to Old Rappahannock County (later Richmond County and Essex County - two sides of the Rappahannock River - the county was divided in the 1690s) from Gloucester County, VA. Unfortuntately, nearly all of the Gloucester County records were burned.

I'll have to check my records, but my memory is that they did have a son named Joshua. There were three families of Stones living in Richmond County in the early 1700s, but the info you've provided links your family to the same one from which I'm descended.

Again, please provide the source of the material you're using so that I can check. The parentage of William and the maiden name of his wife have long been an unsolved mystery, but there are several theories floating around, and I'd like to read your source to see if it reveals anything.

Thank you. Feel free to e-mail me directly at SCMcDanielFamily@aol.com. BTW, I currently live in Essex County, VA just across the river from Totuskey Creek (a very broad creek like small rivers in many places) where William and Sarah lived with their children on their 1,000 acres.

Best,

Michael
per page

Find a board about a specific topic