Search for content in message boards

Cheney in IL ca 1870

Cheney in IL ca 1870

Cynthia Philllips (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 2000 5:21PM GMT
Seeking information on Lewis H. Cheney and wife Mary Elizabeth West of McLean Co, IL, Bloomington area. They had at least one child, Orion H., b. 1869. They were still in the area in 1877 as I have a carte de visite of young Orion by a Bloomington photographer. Orion may be the same Orion Howard Cheney mentioned in Notable People of 1913, as a prominent lawyer/banker in NYC. Mary West Cheney is my great-grandfather's half-sister. I'm really seeking info on the West family. Please respond if you know anything about these people.

Orion H. Cheney, IL 1869

Cynthia Phillips (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2001 9:47PM GMT
Just an update to say that I have found Lewis H Cheney and wife Mary E. West in Monte Vista, CO, 1884 - 1911. Mary died in 1892 as the result of an accidental shooting by a four year old boy at a picnic and Lewis Howard died in 1911 in Monte Vista. Lewis was from New Hampshire and immigrated to IL after serving in the Civil War, later moved family to Conejos (now Rio Grande) County, CO.

Apparently 5 of their 6 children died young. Orion H. Cheney appears to have been the only child who survived past 1911. Seeking Orion's descendants to round out family tree.

I have also determined that Mary West Cheney was the daughter of my greatgreatgrandmother Nancy (Perdue/Perdew?)West McAllister with her first husband (probably Alexander West of Piqua, OH). Mary West Cheney was the half-sister of my great grandfather Edward McAlister.

Re: Cheney in IL ca 1870

Sara Cushing (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2001 1:04AM GMT
Cynthia;
We may be able to help each other. I live in Bloomington and work at the genealogical library. I am doing research on Cheney Thomas, the first sheriff of McLean County. I'm trying to find out if he connects to the Cheneys of Cheneys Grove which is just east of here. I believe they came here from Champaign County, Ohio.. and before that, maybe West Va.
I'll be glad to look up anything you want on either family. Let me know exactly what you are looking for.
I believe Cheney's mother may be Temperance Cheney who married Ezekiel Thomas in Harrison County West VA in 1793. There is a small Cheney book in the library here. That's where I found Temperance. I know there are Cheneys in Riverside Cemetery.

Re: Orion H. Cheney, IL 1869

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 1:11AM GMT
Cynthia;
I just remembered..I actually know an Orion Cheney, If he's still living in the area. He worked for GTE.
I believe I saw an obit for an Orion Cheney in the old Pantagraph newspaper files when I was looking for Cheney Thomas( who I originally thought was Thomas Cheney) I assumed that, because there were some prominent Cheneys in the area in the early days.Anyway, I will be happy to look up births, deaths, marriges, probate, census, etc for the county.

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 2:30AM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2002 6:35AM GMT
Surnames: Cheney, Sproat, Nickerson, Housh
Hello,

I am reseaching Julius David/David Julius Cheney and family living in Adams county Ill. from just prior to Civil War to 1920's. HIs father was Peter Cheney, mother Johanna Sproat. Also David had two brother Allen Henry and Jesse/Jasper. I am looking for any relatives of David or Jasper.
I believe David was married to a Maria. I need last name and
dates of marriage and death.

Thank in advance

Linda Cheney

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 4:56PM GMT
Linda;
My area of research is mainly McLean County, but we do have a few records on other counties. Will check to see if I find anything on yours next time I go to library.
saramuse9@aol.com

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 8:14PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 11:47PM GMT
Surnames: Cheney
Hi, let me check what I have on Lewis Cheney. I did eventually find them in Colorado after 1880. His wife, my great-grandfather's half sister, was accidentally shot (by a small child playing with a rifle) and killed at a picnic in the early 1890s. Lewis wasn't there, but her two sons were. She died in the arms of one. It was horrible. I believe have an obituary for Lewis Cheney I can send to you. I don't remember much about him off the top of my head, but believe he served in the Civil War.

I was really trying to track down my great-great grandmother by following her children, and I did finally find her b/c although she died in Kansas, her obituary was in Colorado newspaper where her sons-in-law (both daughters then being deceased)lived. However, I would like to have the info on Lewis Cheney's family if possible. Thanks for posting. Will get Cheney info to you as soon as I can.

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 8:19PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 11:47PM GMT
Surnames: Cheney
Hi again, Sara,

I wrote an Orion Cheney living there thinking he surely must be a relation of some kind -- after all Orion Howard Cheney surely isn't that common a name. But the living Orion said he had never heard of this family. I believe he is probably a distant cousin and doesn't know it. The name is just too much of a coincidence. But I do know there were other Cheneys in the area from genealogy hits. Just who was Lewis related to. As I said in previous posting, I'll send you the obit. I'm not sure it will help, but it might.

linda (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2001 4:58AM GMT
Sara,

Thanks for the offer. I will share what I have with you.

Linda

Posted: 10 Aug 2001 4:12PM GMT
Cynthia;
Thanks. Will check for your Lewis. I know Cheney's Grove Township, McLean County, was named after Jonathon Cheney. I think he had five children, if I remember from the article I found.
Sara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic