Search for content in message boards

RAOGK is back!!!

RAOGK is back!!!

Posted: 25 May 2012 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've just seen that after a long closure, the website is back. Http://raogk.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Acts_of_Genealogical_Kind... . It has all the volunteers on but the email addresses have been lost so currently very few are linked up. If you ever volunteered, or have had contact with somebody else who did, get in touch with them so they can relink your email address up again.

So it is very much a work in progress - I noticed there are no links to the England page yet and even when you find it through search, the first page doesn't load but it's back, take a look!

Jack

Re: RAOGK is back!!!

Posted: 25 May 2012 9:21PM GMT
What great news! RAOGK helped me so many times in the past - in the U.S. and Canadian provinces. Thanks for posting about the new website.

Posted: 25 May 2012 9:35PM GMT
Just a quick update: I now realise this a temporary site and at the end of April Doc started making the new site. It will provably help if you use the wiki short term as its easier than the Facebook pages but it won't be long until the official website is up and running again

Posted: 25 May 2012 11:42PM GMT
Thanks for the update.

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 4:05AM GMT
Sadly, the RAOGK site has been down nine months.

Just to let everyone know, the RAOGK wiki is a workaround for the RAOGK site being down.
http://raogk.wikia.com
(Wiki is new to most everyone so, think of a website like using/reading a PDF file [read only] ... and a wiki is like getting a [editable] Word doc.]

There are two ways to activate a link on the wiki ...
1. Click the Wiki Admin link (raogk_mcowan @ yahoo.com) on any page ... send your name, country/province/state , email address, and description of services
2. "Do-it-yourself" with instructions on the wiki

The wiki has been up 4.5 months (since Mar 2012) and has about 375 volunteers ... averaging about 80 volunteers/mo.
Each volunteer who returns helps make the wiki one person stronger toward the 4,000 original volunteers on the old site.

Essentially, the wiki works the same as the old site ... find the state or country page ... then the county or provinces ... then the desired volunteer.
Click the volunteer's link and it will open an email form ... you fill it in and the volunteer receives your request.

The wiki is growing/maturing ... it has chats, blogs, wiki email, etc. If a person (researcher or volunteer) creates a wiki account, it's possible to follow page(s), etc. Soon to have forums and some other features.

Check the wiki out ... and consider re-volunteering until RAOGK is back up.

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 12:44PM GMT
Surnames: Gosnell
When I tried to set up an account, it asked me to read a "fuzzy word"; I am leaglly Blind and can Not read fuzzy words;
My computer Could Not read it.

Is there a way to set up an account for people with poor vision?

Thanks

Harold Gosnell

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 3:29PM GMT
harold
usually next to that box is another box that you can press for it to be read to you. hope they have one
linda

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 5:00PM GMT
Thank you Linda for the response: I went back and checked and tere is no other box available.

I supose that people with low vison will be unable to requst look ups on the RAOGK site site.

And that's sad because there are a lot of people with poor eye site.

There was a Voleenter (?) who was willing to to look ups in Allen Co., KY., Library; And I wanted to request a look up of a Obituary in that Library; but I can't because I can't read the "Fuzzy Letters".

Thanks again Linda.

Harold

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 5:03PM GMT
Her email address is inallenco@yahoo.com Harold so you can contact her that way. I just found her on the Wiki

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 5:18PM GMT
On the sign up page of the RAOGK, there are "fuzzy letters" that you have to read in order to sign up: That elamates thousands of people with low or poor vision who can't read "fuzzy letters".

There should be another way created for people with low or poor vision to sign up: other wise we will be left out and not be able to partisapate (?).

Thank you

Harold Gosnell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions