Search for content in message boards

Barzillai Benjamin Buck

Barzillai Benjamin Buck

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Buck, Barzillai...Named in “Report of Persons recommended by Paul Averill, with the Lots subscribed for by them” in Townsend Township, Norfolk County prepared by Acting Surveyor General David W. Smith dated on 5 Apr 1797 [Upper Canada Land Petitions LAC “A” Bundle 3, Petition Number 62]
Grantee: Buck, Barzillai authorized by Paul Averill on 3 Jan; Oath of Allegiance sworn on 5 Jan [1797] by William Dickson; Lot asked for: Lot 18 Concession 9
Receipt issued at the Receiver General’s Office at York (Toronto) in 1820 attached to the Townsend Report
“Robert Nichol Esqr as Agent for Barzilla Buck has paid into this Office, the Surveying Fees on Two Hundred Acres of Land, under Regulation of 9th of July 1796. for the Actg R. Genl [Signed] G. Hamilton £1.7.6 Surveying Fee Prol Currency. No 198 York 20th June 1820 Received the Land Granting office fees £3.5.2 Curry[Signed] Saml Ridout” [Upper Canada Land Petitions LAC “A” Bundle 3, Petition Number 62u]

Certificate of Robert Nichol dated at York (Toronto) on 19 Jun 1820 attached to the Townsend Report
“I Certify that Barzillai Buck of Townshend being within the limits under My Command of the Regiment under My Command Conducted himself with loyalty & that propriety throughout the late War [Signed] Rob Nichol late Commg2 Norfolk Regt” [Upper Canada Land Petitions LAC “A” Bundle 3, Petition Number 62u]
Lieutenant Colonel Robert Nichol of the 2nd Regiment of the Norfolk Militia

In the 1842 Census of Townsend Twp. B. B. Buck Senr was listed with a household of 3 of Canadian British origin and 3 born in the US and one of them had been in Canada for 50 years. There was 1 female under 5, 1 male over 60, 3 unmarried females 14-45 and 1 female over 45. One person of the household was absent.

From: Barzillai Benjamin Buck of Townsend Township, Norfolk County Upper Canada, Compiled by R. Robert Mutrie
A Long Point Settlers Genealogy
On 16 Oct 1817, a charge was brought against Benjamin B. Buck and Miram Herman for living in a state of adultery and the London District Court ordered that a bench warrant be issued to apprehend and bring them to the next Assizes. The couple were indicted for living in a state of adultery on 16 Nov 1817 and bonds posted for the appearance of Miram Herman to answer an indictment found against her and to appear and answer at the next Assizes. Miram posted a £50 bond, Matthias Steele £25, and Christopher Oakes £25. Benjamin B. Buck was left in the custody of Caleb Wood, Constable. On 13 Jan 1818, B. B. Buck put up a bond of £50, and Leonard Clouse and Josiah Rice each put up a recognizance of £25 at the next Assizes of the London District Court.

Census records for Cynthia Buck, daughter of Benjamin, has her mother born in Connecticut and her father born in Vermont. Benjamin Buck Sr. living 1844 Province of Ontario; County of Norfolk and Place was Townsend Township, and 1851 census Benj Buck Canada West (Ontario). After Benjamin's death, his land went to Joseph. Benjamin, Robert and a small amount to Levi , son of Robert. In Dec. 1861,the Sherriff seized the land of Benjamin and Joseph for debt.

Brothers Benjamin Buck & Joseph Buck resided at Waterford, Norfolk Cty, Ontario and emigrated to Berrien County, Michigan in 1872 from Waterford, Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada

I am beginning to think the parents of Barzillia are Beriah Buck and his wife, Sarah. Beriah Buck was born 25 Oct 1738 in New Milford, Litchfield Co., Connecticut. s/o Ezekiel Buck Jr. and Lydia Brownson. Moved to Pownal, Bennington Co., VT...was a Loyalist and the Court of Confiscation took his land 23 Apr 1778. Died June 1780 in Montréal. He is on a list of United Empire Loyalists, served with General Burgoyne and as Quarter Master in a corps of provincials (Anderson Company).

Re: Barzillai Benjamin Buck

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 9:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barzilla Benjamin Buck
Thanks for all of this info. I am probably not related but
I have been searching for more info. of he and his family.
I am trying to find the name of his wife and where and when
she died ???, also Barzillas Death date .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions