Search for content in message boards

Stalnaker - Peck Area Early 1900's

Stalnaker - Peck Area Early 1900's

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 3:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just found a newspaper article dated 1908 about Ira Stalnaker drowning in the Clearwater River between Lenore and Peck. It says he had a son-in-law residing in Peck and a son named George. It gives his age as approximately 77 years old. This would make it very possible that he is a brother/cousin to Oliver Cromwell Stalnaker b. 1831 and buried at Southwick Idaho.

Any ideas on this line of Stalnakers?

Re: Stalnaker - Peck Area Early 1900's

Posted: 31 Dec 2013 3:23AM GMT
I wonder if Oliver was in fact the one who died- there is a death record transcription for him at family search, date of November 29 1908 at Peck, age 77 years. He had a son named Ira.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FW8Y-6PB

Re: Stalnaker - Peck Area Early 1900's

Posted: 3 Jul 2014 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Stalnaker
Oliver is my 3x great grandfather and there is no son named George. I am from the area and have not found any of the family settling the "North Fork section." However, the dates do match and it is possible that they confused names. What a find, if this is the story of my grandfather. Thanks for the lead! Here is the information on Oliver's son Ira, who died in 1929:

Lewiston Morning Tribune - April 23, 1929.

IRA STALNAKER DIES FROM HEART ATTACK.

Pioneer of Central Idaho Region Stricken Yesterday on Streets Near Postoffice Building.

Ira W. Stalnaker, 60, a resident of the central Idaho region since 1892, and for the last eight years making his home in this city at 506 sixteenth street, dropped dead in front of the Andrew Preisz home at the corner of Twelfth and F streets yesterday morning at 10:00 o'clock from a heart attack. He had just left the postoffice and was returning to his home when the end came..

Employees of the postoffice were first to notice Mr. Stalnaker reel and fall, his prostrate body lying half way on the lawn and sidewalk. Several persons rushed to his side and gave first aid while a doctor was being summoned, but life was extinct within a couple of minutes after the attack. He had not been known to complain of feeling ill..

Mr. Stalnaker was born near Wilkins, W. Va., and with his parents came to Idaho and homesteaded a place near Russell. Later he was engaged in farming at Southwick and left that section to reside in Phoenix Ariz., for a period of eight years. He was very well and favorably known throughout the central part of this state..

He is survived by three brothers and three sisters, Lou Stalnaker, of Orofino, who reached this city yesterday; John G. Stalnaker, Marshfield, Ore.; James Stalnaker, Ahsahka, and Mrs. Rachael Weinmann of Ahsahka. The other two sister resided in West Virginia..

The body is at the Brower-Wann parlors awaiting arrangement for the funeral. Burial will take place at Southwick alongside the bodies of his parents and a sister.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic