Search for content in message boards

Ireland to Castle Garden

Ireland to Castle Garden

Posted: 27 Jul 2006 2:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barbour, Moore, Hoyle, Havens
Still searching for a connection in Ireland. Brick wall. William and Ellen Barbour leave Ireland with 7 year old son James in 1863 - settle in Pittsburgh, PA. Exhausted all available records to learn Town name but theorize its Northern Ireland. Found a close match in County Antrim, Killead Parish, Upper Ballyhill. I believe that is now the present location of Belfast International Airport. Anyone connected to these Barbours or that area?

Re: Ireland to Castle Garden

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 8:44PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Barbour
Hello,
Currently researching my Barbour family - father's side - only just getting started. Am living in N. Ireland, but have no information from my tree of any value - can only document back 2 gens! Records here are definitely not centralised. Did find some info. whilst doing my searches.
=============================================
1851 CENSUS - PARTIAL TRANSCRIPTS - EXCERPT

11 Ballyhill Upper Townland , Killead County Antrim (1851)
Fanny Barbour, Head, W, 70, Farmeress, Ant,
=============================================
11 Ballyhill Upper Townland , Killead County Antrim (1851)
Jane Barbour, Daughter, U, 40, None, Ant,
Sarah Barbour, Daughter, U, 38, Sewer, Ant,
Robert Barbour, Son, U, 36, Labourer, Ant,
Grace Barbour, Daughter, U, 26, Flowerer, Ant,
William Barbour, Grandson, U, 18, Labourer, Ant,
=======================================
12 Ballyhill Upper Townland , Killead County Antrim (1851)
Margaret Barbour, Head, W, 41, Flowerer, Ant,
William Barbour, Son, U, 15, Labourer, Ant,
Robert Barbour, Son, U, 13, Labourer, Ant,
=========================================
Hope this helps some.

Please note that although -our is the way we insist on spelling Barbour, it has been interchangeable in records with -er for many reasons.
I will be concentrating in Co Antrim, although have had many "hits" from other counties in Ireland which I will be following up.
One well researched Barbour family tree connected will the Linen Mills in Lisburn Co. Antrim, is up on Rootsweb. My branch does not seem to be as "fortunate" and may have been a more recent migration from Scotland.
If I turn up anything relevant to Killead during my research will post more. Let me know exactly what you have iro names and dates if you still need help.
Best of luck, Diane

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 1:03PM GMT
Thanks Diane.

William Barbour is born c. 1828, in some local records possibly c. 1832. The census record you forwarded is what I also found on the internet, Antrim is one of the few available on line. Every record that I've ever come across gives his and wife (Ellen Moore)place of birth as "Ireland". Still looking for that big break to narrow it down. Not sure if Upper Ballyhill is my William or not but it was a start. Couldn't find Ellen in that census. My Barbours came to America in 1863, unsure why. Other Barbour families in the Pittsburgh area during that time. Contacted their descendants but never could make a connection. My theory is that William and Ellen were from somewhere in N. Ireland, were not Catholic. They had a 7 year old son when they left (James) but I never found any other records of him. Please keep me in mind while you research the Barbours. Marriage record, birth record......Thanks.

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 2:36PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Barbour
Hello and greetings from N Ireland,
Will certainly keep a look out for anything similar in dates or names.

Barbour families here will have a connection with the Presbyterian Church, and the predominant Protestant denomination of Church of Ireland; although I did find some Catholic Barbours in Belfast c. 1901. It's a good guess though that your William was not Catholic.

I know there are Barbours from Eire - for certain Dublin & Co Cork.

Just to let you know I may not be keeping up my account here, as my research seems to be too obscure and varied for most traffic and also too recent to be of interest to most researchers. Will also be some time before I go to any Public Records Office, as the info on my Barbour branch is nowhere near that stage of research.
Have some contacts who are on look-out for me on other business - will let them know.

Good luck,
Diane

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 3:24PM GMT
email anytime to babarbour19@yahoo.com

Posted: 6 May 2007 1:38PM GMT
As it turns out, may not be locked into the Belfast area afterall. 1930 census of William and Ellen's daughter - Mary Murphy reports that her parents are from the "Irish Free State" while her husband reports in the same entry that his parents were born in "Ireland". It appears my Barbours are from the Counties that separated from Northern Ireland. Maybe......

McKee Family in Westmeath On 1851 Census

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 7:50PM GMT
Surnames: McKee-Moran-Roche/Roach-Bresnihan/Brosnan-Downing
I have a Patrick McKee b May 1830. He may be from County Westmeath. Any chance you can look on the 1851 Ireland Census and see if he is there? Or any McKee family in Westmeath. Can I find this census online?

Barbara J Andrejkovics Callahan

Ireland to NY reserearch:
McKee-Westmeath;
Roach/Roche-Tralee, County Kerry; Bresnihan/Bresnahan/Brosnan-Tralee, County Kerry; Burreen/Breen- County Kerry, Maybe Tralee or surrounding area?
Moran- Dorrha Parish, County Tipperary;
Downing-Location unknown

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: McKee-Moran-Roche/Roach-Bresnihan/Brosnan-Downing
I have a Patrick McKee b May 1830. He may be from County Westmeath. Any chance you can look on the 1851 Ireland Census and see if he is there? Or any McKee family in Westmeath. Can I find this census online?

Barbara J Andrejkovics Callahan

Ireland to NY reserearch:
McKee-Westmeath;
Roach/Roche-Tralee, County Kerry; Bresnihan/Bresnahan/Brosnan-Tralee, County Kerry; Burreen/Breen- County Kerry, Maybe Tralee or surrounding area?
Moran- Dorrha Parish, County Tipperary;
Downing-Location unknown

Re: McKee Family in Westmeath On 1851 Census

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 12:43PM GMT
The only free Irish census I've seen on-line is county Antrim. Did you try the Griffith's land valuation? That's available and is helpful.

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 5:39PM GMT
I will. Thanks for your reply.

Barb Callahan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic