Search for content in message boards

How to add children's notes

How to add children's notes

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 10:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to add research notes in an ancestors report but in the options, the children's notes is greyed out. How do I get it to allow me to check that oprion?

Danny

Re: How to add children's notes

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 3:10AM GMT
It appears that printing the children's notes is not an option for the Ancestor Book report (is that the report you're looking at?). The Options screen is the same for all reports, so it's a catch-all rather than what's possible for any particular report.

I have to wonder, though, why you would want to print the notes for the children in the section for their parents? You can select the notes to be printed in the next generation where the children are listed.

I'm not the last word in all things Legacy, I'm just the admin of this board who's had a little practice with the program and tries to help where I can. You may have good reasons for wanting to include these notes with the parents, and I'd be interested in hearing your arguments here on the board if you care to share.

In any case, if you would like to make a suggestion to the programmers, see the link "Suggest a new feature" on the Home tab in Legacy to do so.

Kind Regards,
Wendy

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 1:26PM GMT
Hi Wendy

Maybe I am not at the right place in the report then. One ancestor's brother I have included research notes on him. When I preview the ancestors report (book), I don't see those notes. It is those notes I am trying to get the report to include. Thanks

Danny

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 5:00AM GMT
Hi Danny,

Your ancestor's brother is not your ancestor, so he will not appear in any ancestor report of your ancestors.

You may find a descendants' report more useful to include the information you want to show.

If a report from your current database will pick up more people than you want to include, consider making a copy of your file and unlinking the unwanted from the wanted, or exporting a focus group, or using tags to export the wanted people.

I don't want to flood you with a whole lot of instructions here, so do take some time to look up some of the terms I've used in the Help file in Legacy, and come back here and ask more questions if you need to.

I've "talked" before about the unlinking bit, along with deleting them, too - see the Legacy User Group archives at legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com/msg19210.html" target="_blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com/... for a post where I've described my use of it.

If that link doesn't work (I've had problems posting links to this archive in these boards before), go to http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LegacyLists.asp and scroll down to find the link to the archives. Then once there, search for a thread with the subject line "Gedcom file for a specific family surname only - I don't understand how to do it" and that will find it for you.

Hope this helps. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 6:32PM GMT
Hi Wendy

Thanks for this informtion. I will review it.

Danny

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 8:29PM GMT
Not to poke my nose in here, though I am. Let me ask you this: do the brother's notes include information on your ancestor? If so, and if you're using Legacy 8 then maybe you can consider moving the notes to an event, then sharing that event with the brother that is your ancestor. I'm fairly certain that the shared event will show up in the ancestor report.

I understand your problem though. Many times notes include information on other family members. For years, I've wondered why we can't share certain notes. To fix the problem, I've created a new "event" called Notes with absolutely no sentence definitions. This way I can do what I want with it. I move those to the top of the events unless a date is necessary.

The only problem with sharing is that it also includes a "role". To alleviate that problem, I created a role called Notes and then I left the sentence definitions to that blank as well. So when you share John's notes with Tom's, then Tom's role is Notes.

Hopefully that makes sense.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions