Search for content in message boards

Joseph Greene & Clara - Canaan prior to 1806

Joseph Greene & Clara - Canaan prior to 1806

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 2:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for information on Joseph Green(e) and wife Clara of Litchfield.

Their daughter Lucy, was born 10 Mar 1806 (from death record) in Canaan.

A Joseph Green matching his general age is found in Canaan in 1820 and 1830, and in Colebrook in 1810.

Does anyone have any other information that may help?
Thank you.
Lindi

Re: Joseph Greene & Clara - Canaan prior to 1806

Posted: 6 Nov 2011 8:15AM GMT
I am looking for a Lucy Green that was born in Canaan about 1806. Married Nicholas Peck. Is this the same Lucy?

Posted: 6 Nov 2011 2:09PM GMT
Not the same Lucy Greene. Lucy Greene with parents Joseph and Clara married Samuel Knickerbocker, and did not remarry after he died.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 8:52PM GMT
Hello,

My name is Calvert Green. I am trying to trace my ancestry back to the mid 1700's in Litchfield county and specifically to Cornwall. I have been able to follow my heritage to my 2great grandfather James Green and my great grandfather who immigrated from Ireland to Cornwall in the mid 1800's. Their names were James and Lawrence Green respectively. They farmed and raised families in Cornwall. Later some of their sons moved to Torrington and Waterbury for employment. And some of the daughters married and followed their husbands to these cities. I was born in Waterbury in 1947. I have had no success trying to find my ancestors back in Ireland. I discovered that their were Greens living in Cornwall, Canaan and Bethlehem in the mid 1700's. I recently began to ask “Why cross the ocean to go to a tiny farming town in Connecticut”. So, I am asking the same question. It only makes sense that there is some connection, probably through family. The only names I have in Cornwall are an Elizabeth Green, born 8 Apr 1747 and a Hannah Green, born abt. 1750. There is also a Samuel Green , born abt. 1750 in Canaan and a Lucy Green living in South Canaan in 1824. I also found an Eleazer Green, died before 1835 who lived in Bethlehem. If you have any information or potential leads as to a connection between the 18th and 19th century Greens in Cornwall I would be very appreciative.

Sincerely,

Calvert Lawrence Green III, PhD

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 5:20AM GMT
I am also looking for a Lucy Green born in Canaan about 1806. She joined a church in So. Canaan in 1824. Is this the same Lucy you are referring to? I'm trying to find out who her parents were, and am at a dead end. She moved to Madison and married Nicholas Hemmingway. I have never been able to find a death record for her that might state her parents. Nicholas died in 1860 - but no record of her after that. I do know their children (Hemmingways.)

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 12:23PM GMT
I assume from the dates and location that your Lucy Green is the same person I found living in So. Canaan in 1824.

I have no other information on Lucy. I cannot put her in my lineage as I don't have a common ancestor identified as yet. From my posting you can see that I have also reached a dead end with my great grandfather (Lawrence) who immigrated and farmed in Cornwall.

Perhaps if you can give me some information on how your ancestry gets to Lucy I can see some pattern, someone who may be a common ancestor.

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 12:56PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2012 12:59PM GMT
There must be at least two Lucy Greene's living in Caanan born about 1806. My Lucy married Samuel Knickerbocker in the mid to late 1820s. The last child I have with him is in 1837. Her husband must have died early, and definitely before 1850. Her youngest daughter, born 1837, is adopted by her sister. In the 1870s, the families have moved to Dutchess, NY. They eventually settle in Massachusetts, Lucy still under the Knickerbocker name, where she dies in 1888. Her parents were Joseph and Clara Greene, according to her death record.

Her sister, Betsey Ann Greene, married Herman Chatfield, and died in 1879.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 1:43AM GMT
Yes, because the Lucy Green I am looking for did not have an "e" on the end of Green. And she married Nicholas P. Hemmingway Nov. 24, 1836. Madison, Ct. Have not been able to find a death notice for her. Had hoped to find parents names that way. One of her daughter's death certificate states that her mother Lucy was born in Canaan, and the only other connection to Canaan is in the Congregatonal Church records in South Canaan where she was admitted Sept. 5, 1824. Then she transferred to Cong Church in North Madison in 1850. I have all the records from the time she married Hemmingway.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 4:36AM GMT
Spellings of last names, especially this far back, were very fluid. You'll see the same person's name spelled Greene, Green, Grean, it really depended on who was recording the information, and how that person believed it should be spelled. Greene or Green, in this instance is inconsequential.

The important information is that they married different men. Death records of my Lucy's children also report her born in Canaan in 1806. How can you be sure which Lucy Green was listed in the church records in 1824?

Posted: 11 Aug 2012 10:25PM GMT
Well, perhaps we will never know for sure! I'm stumped as to why I can't find a death record for my Lucy. It's possible that she remarried after her husband died in 1860. I'm in Arizona now, and far from Connecticut records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions