Search for content in message boards

Five Sullivan Brothers, Lost 1942 Aboard The "U.S.S. Juneau"

Five Sullivan Brothers, Lost 1942 Aboard The "U.S.S. Juneau"

Jean Rice (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2002 6:23PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Sullivan
The five Sullivan brothers, Albert, Francis, George, Joseph and Madison, were born in Waterloo, IA, between 1914 and 1920. In 1937, George and Francis enlisted in the Navy. They were followed by their three younger brothers shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor plunged the U.S. into war. In February 1942 all five were assigned to the light cruiser, the "U.S.S. Juneau." After service in the Pacific, including combat actions in the Guadalcanal Campaign, they were lost on November 13, 1942, when a Japanese submarine torpedoed and sank the ship. The tragedy received extensive press coverage in the United States, resulting in a new Navy policy prohibiting family members from serving together in the same ship. The story of the Sullivan Brothers was commemorated in the patriotic film, "The Fighting Sullivans." The Navy commemorated them by naming a destroyer in their honor. The "U.S.S. The Sullivans" served the Navy until final decomissioning in 1965. The second "The Sullivans" was launched in 1997 and is homeported in Mayport, FL.

Iowa Commerative Quarter

Posted: 3 Sep 2002 1:40AM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2002 8:07PM GMT

Re: Iowa Commerative Quarter

Shyanne Sullivan (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2002 11:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Huzzah!! I hope they DO put the Sullivan boys on the quarter. I wish ancestry.com would do one of their "famous people" family trees on them. :-) They are certainly my heros!!

-Shyanne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions