Search for content in message boards

4 Mile Run Cemetery

4 Mile Run Cemetery

Posted: 4 Jul 2009 12:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfather, Frank Tuttle died in 1931. His obit and his death cert. states he is buried at 4 Mile Run - but no stone and 4 Mile Run caretaker said he is NOT buried there.
Irritating to say the least. I contacted the funeral home and they insisted it was 4 Mile Run.

Re: 4 Mile Run Cemetery

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 2:32AM GMT
I don't know exactly when Austintown Tp. took over Four Mile Run Cemetery from the church there, but probably at a later date. It may have been that burial records were not being diligently kept by the church at the time. I have run into the same problem with another cemetery in another township. Sorry you are so frustrated. I understand.

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 3:30AM GMT
I assume you are aware there is an "old" 4 mile run cemetery next to the Church, and then there is a "new" 4 mile run cemetery across and a little down the street>
I have relatives buried in both.
david

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 12:37PM GMT
yes, I am aware of that - what I don't understand is even tho there isn't a stone there should be a marker of some kind indicating someone is buried there. This was in 1931 so it seems there would be some kind of record. I don't think the caretaker did much looking

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 12:42PM GMT
Does the same caretaker take care of both cemeteries? What is the name of the Church? My gr grandpa was buried as a pauper - from the county home. He would not have been a church member. He died in 1931 so would it have been the old cemetery or the new cemetery where he was buried?

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 11:28AM GMT
the "old" cemetery next to the church was once called Disciple Cemetery... maybe that will help when trying to locate records.

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 12:35PM GMT
bhurst:

I do not know if both cemeteries are taken care of by the same sextant, nor if they are in the same township.

I do not know where you are located, but Allen County Public Library in Ft Wayne IN has several books on file that were produced by the Mahoning County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society.

One of these is ACPL Call Nbr. 977.101M27k, titled:

Austintown Township
Cemeteries & Death Records
Mahoning County, Ohio

Compiled by Koch, Simon, & Wilms.

Mahoning County, Ohio, Cemeteries & Death Records Series, Number 3
Published by Mahoning County Chapter O.G.S., Youngstown, OH, 1996

This book has a chapter that lists "unmarked graves" in Austintown Cemeteries. I have some unmarked ancestor graves.
I photographed the pages for the NEW Four Mile Run Cemetery, pages 61 & 62, surnames "A" through "W", and I do see any "TUTTLE".

I also photographed page 26 from the the OLD Four Mile Run Cemetery, a listing of MARKED graves by location in rows #1, #2, and part of #3, and do see any "TUTTLE". These graves are all in the 1700-1800's.

This book may be of value to you, I suggest you contact Allen County Library, and/or the Mahoning County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society. Both are online.

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 12:44PM GMT
Thank you. Someone did a look up for me in the books and found nothing. He died 1931. No Stone. Funeral home states he was buried at 4 Mile Run and the present caretaker said no he isn't - where is he???

Posted: 18 Sep 2009 3:21AM GMT
Under Ohio law, cemeteries are taken over by the township when they are "abandoned", so the church no longer has any connection to the cemetery. It is now administered by Austintown Tp., probably the road department. Both "Old" & "New" sections are the same cemetery, the old being the original very small church cemetery, the new being the expanded area across the street. Your ancestor likely IS buried there in the new section, but no record of the exact place exists. There may be no stone because he died during the Depression. In an old small former church cemetery where many of my family are buried, at least 1/3 do not have headstones, having died during the Depression and WW II.

Posted: 18 Sep 2009 12:53PM GMT
Since he died in 1931 it would seem there would be a cemetery record of where he was buried - I don't know that a church was involved. 1931 wasn't that long ago - not like it was in the 1800's.... He was living in the "poor house" so evidentally indigents didn't matter so they didn't record where he was buried. How did they keep track of where someone was buried if no stone and nothing recorded? Those little cement or metal markers show where someone is buried and they have a number on them...so you would think a record would show who was buried at the marker number. His daughter paid for his funeral expense and burial, altho I don't think there was a viewing.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic