Search for content in message boards

Afro-American Briggs in Louisiana

Afro-American Briggs in Louisiana

Posted: 22 May 2011 8:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Briggs
Hello,
I am trying to locate anyone that may have any information on the Afro-American Briggs family that came from Mouton Cove in Vermilion Parish, LA. My 5 son's great great Grandfather was Charles (or perhaps Charlie) Briggs from Mouton Cove (or also known as "Big Woods"). They are related to his son Ludwig Briggs. I have hit a very sturdy and incredibly high brick wall here. It is so very difficult to locate records for black families during the time period of the early 1900's and earlier.
If anyone has ANY knowledge of these families OR even hearsay, it would be more than what I have to go on right now. My goal in this is to trace the family back to the slave owner that gave them their last name. It's a large undertaking;but, I am going to give it my best shot.

Thanking everyone in advance.
Sincerely,
Deena Broussard
Abbeville, LA
lagranny50@cox.net

Re: Afro-American Briggs in Louisiana

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 9:23AM GMT
Hi Denna,
I am a descendant of the Briggs Family of Abbeville, LA. My 2nd great grandfather was Lofty Briggs My grandmother was the daughter of David D Briggs. He was the son of Alexander. What is it you want to know? I do have a Family Tree with a lot of information regarding the Briggs and what's not on there I have in my possession. My Family tree is named Saundra Sweetwyne. Please feel free to contact mw with any questions and I will be happy to assist you in anyway I can. Saundra Sweetwyne

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 6:32PM GMT
Surnames: Briggs
Hi,

I have to admit I was shocked that I finally received a response to my post.
This is all that I have thus far on my son's Father's family. Their Dad is Donald Briggs, Sr. (no middle initial or name. He told me that his Dad was Ludwig Briggs and Ludwig's dad was Charles or Charlie Briggs. He had no idea what his paternal Grandmother's name was. He said that they lived in Big Woods (Mouton Cove). He said that, "Charlie's wife was a big red faced woman that looked Indian and wore long braids down her back." That is the extent of what I know about the Briggs family.
I do know that his father, Ludwig, died in the late 50's or early 60's either in Orange or Beaumont, Texas from "alleged poisoning" from his live in girlfriend. How true that may or may not be is the question.
I think it is rather sad that you were never interested enough to know more about your family than that;but, it is what it is.
My son's have always asked me a mountain of questions concerning their father's family. Now their kids are asking for information for genealogy reports for school.
ANY information about the family would be greatly appreciated.
Is Lofy Briggs perhaps the sibling of Charlie Briggs or is he the father of Charlie? I am eager to hear.
You can send information directly to me to my E-Mail address lagranny50@cox.net.
Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.
Sincerely,
Deena Broussard

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 8:50AM GMT
Hi again Deena,
Give me a week to gather the information about the Briggs family. I just had surgery last week and I'm recovering a little slower than I expected. But in the meantime you can start with Lofty Briggs in the 1860 Census. He was born 5/1822. Write down all his children's name and start gathering information on them, such as their children's names, then 1 by 1 start checking each child. With doing that you'll find out who they married and how many children they had. Start with the 1870 census and proceed forward.
Here is a little info: Lofty Sr. was biracial born to a slave mother and her slave owner. He had 6 children (1 daughter, 5 sons) His occup: was a masterful brick mason. He built the Briggs United Methodist Church as well as donated the land to the church. He lived to be 93 yrs and died 6/15/1915 in Abbeville. He had over 50 grandchildren and we've lost count of great grandchildren (2nd 3rd & 4th great grandchildren. We are still working on how he got the name Briggs, because we have a copy of the Rice Bible showing the birth of his mother and siblings in their family Bible. He nor his family was ever sold. However the family lore is that his mother was leased out to Thomas Briggs to help with his getting his household together. But, again we are still working on it. I will email you soon with some information. Have fun. talk to you soon.
Saundra Sweetwyne

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 3:17AM GMT
Hello,

I come from the Briggs family in Mounton Cove. I have gotten back to 1822...it looks like our slave ancestry may not actually be Louisiana. I'm still researching.

Herman Lyons (son of Delphine Briggs)

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 3:19AM GMT
Very Very Interesting...I am going to look at your tree immediately. I am Delphine's son, Kinet was my grandfather, Cyrus my great grandfather, and Lofty sr. my great great grandfather from what I've been able to map out.

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 7:17AM GMT
It is quite interesting. Through my family tree I have met several relatives. David Briggs was my great grandfather, Alexander was my 2nd great grandfather and Lofty Sr., was my 3rd greatfather. I have met your aunts, Marjorie Briggs Casimere and Hildred Briggs Lewis. If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Posted: 10 May 2012 11:58PM GMT
hi

I am a descendent from Reason Briggs and Ellen Briggs was my great-grandparents lived in abbeville LA.can email me at tinabradleyparker@yahoo.com.

Posted: 23 May 2012 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: Hardy Briggs
Hi there Lofty T Briggs is also one of my great grandfathers, I am also trying to complile Briggs/Hardy family history. Perhaps we can exchange what we know.

Posted: 23 May 2012 7:26PM GMT
I am also a Lofty T Briggs great grandchild I would love to speak with you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions