Search for content in message boards

PLEASE HELP! Any former slave owner families or former slave families

PLEASE HELP! Any former slave owner families or former slave families

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore
I am researching a family that were slaves from @1840 until the end of the war between the states.
The male was William Moore b.1829,Person county N.C.
The wife was Sarah Ann Moore b. 1833,Person county N.C.
I have a Cohabitation Record from 1866 that indicates both slave surnames were Moore.The children of this marriage were: Alexander b.1860, Mary b. 1862, Jennie b. 1863, William b. 1865, Aaron b. 1869,Doke b. 1873, Thomas b. 1876.
PLEASE any famlies that may have owned slaves by these names help me find out where they cmae from.

Re: PLEASE HELP! Any former slave owner families or former slave families

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 3:37PM GMT
Hello,
Have you done any research in the census records? If so, did you notice that in 1870 your William & Sarah MOORE were living only a few houses away from the family of A.R. MOORE, b. 1815, a white farmer with a Real estate value of $3600, personal value of $800, an indication that he was wealthy enough to have owned a number of slaves in previous years. These families were living in Mt. Tirzah Township, with William at household #15, while A.R. MOORE was in #11, on the preceding page, and I would suggest that you research this family in earlier census, as well as checking for other records including wills and deeds to see what kinds of transactions that may have mentioned the names of slaves.

Deloris Williams

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 6:04PM GMT
Surnames: Moore
Thanks for responding Deloris,
I have researched the census. I did not find that A.R. Moore owned any slaves in the 1860 slave census.
My hope is that some family may hav records that show they owned slaves, or that they were slaves along with my ancestors. I live in California, my visits to North Carolina are not frequent enough for efficient follow up of each new piece of data. I hope to visit N.C this summer and follw some of the leads I have.
Thanks again.
Willie

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 10:22PM GMT
Willie,
Take another look at the census. In 1860 in Person Co., there was a L. H. MOORE, age 38, who was a slaveholder, wife Arrena, age 38, with several children, the youngest, John T. Moore, age 1. By 1870, Arrena, age 48, was remarried to Stephen Wilkerson, age 70, with her son, John T. Moore, age 11, among the children in the household; apparently, her previous husband had died. (on Ancestry.com, 1870 Person Co.,NC, Olive Hill Twp, Roxboro, Image 28,#219/218). It is possible that A.R. Moore was related to L. H. Moore, and that could be why the former MOORE slaves were living near him in 1870. That is one of the reasons I mentioned that you may want to research the family, to find out who was related to whom, and further records may turn up to show transactions involving the people you are looking for.

Deloris

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 11:34PM GMT
Thanks,
Are you reaserching MOORE? L.H. Moore was killed during the civil war. I agree that I need to research the two white Moore famlies more closely.At this stage I have exhausted the info I can get from the census. There are some other connections that I want to follow up. In 1860 Stephen Moore of the Moore's that founded Mt. Tirzah had a famliy of slave that all the ages fit my family.Stephen had a close association with the Cameron's of Orange county where my family appears in 1880 without William Moore.From 1880 up to the present day most my family has lived in the area of the Stagville Plantation. My grand parents actually lived there in the 1930's. I have had some problems opening your responses on Ancestry. If you don't mind, email me williemo57@yahoo.com. If you are researching MOORES I have accumulated alot of info on several other Moore families.
Thanks again for your responses.
Wilie

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 1:57AM GMT
The most prominent Moore family in the Mt. Tirzah area, where William was living in 1870, was Stephen Moore and his descendants. Stephen died in 1799. He had been a large land and slave owner. I have looked at the slave schedules for 1850 and the names of his descendants. The one with slaves who match the ages of William and Sarah was Lucy Moore, widow of Stephen's son Portius. She had a 21 year old black male and a 12 year old black female. The 1870 census seems to indicate that Sarah was born in 1838. If you go to North Carolina in the summer, look at the estate records at the archives in Raleigh. If Lucy died before 1860, the slaves would probably be named. If she died after 1860, you will not be able to find the names of the slaves unless she wrote a will dated before 1863 that named them. If she inherited the two from her husband Portius, they would be named in his will or estate record. Portius died in 1847.

Sue

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 7:04PM GMT
Willie,
No, I'm not researching the MOOREs, although I do have one MOORE who was related to the family living in Roxboro, but I have done a lot of slavery research with some success. In my research, I have found that a lot can be learned by researching the families nearby a former slave because quite often, you can find some record of them through some of the transactions involving the families, most especially through wills, deeds, estate records, etc. Although while it is true that there were many former slaves who didn't necessarily take the surnames of their former owners, that is often the best place to start, in particular if a family by the same surname was living nearby. I see that another reply has come in for this thread and you may also want to take a look at what is said in that one too, because it goes even further back to Phillips Moore, a prosperous and well-known citizen of Person Co. in the early 1800's for which there are many records available. If you aren't near Raleigh, you may be able to find a Family History Center at a location near you to visit and order microfilm of the various records you would need to research the family.
Yes, I also had problems with Ancestry during the past few days, it seems they are doing some work on their website causing pages to be be inaccessible at times, but it seems to have been cleared up right now.

Deloris

per page

Find a board about a specific topic