Search for content in message boards

John P Hodges/Rocky Mount, Virginia

John P Hodges/Rocky Mount, Virginia

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodges
I am looking for anyone that can give me information about this Hodges family. My grandmother was born and raised in Rocky Mount. Her name was Sallie Lee Hodges, Born 8/18/1902. Her father was John P Hodges and Mother was Bettie. She had 3 sister, Bessie or Bittie, Carrie and Mary and 3 brothers. George, Wilson, and Joseph. I know that her father and brothers (I believe) were sheriff's in Rocky Mount and were involved in the Liquor Trial in the 1930's. I would love to have more information about the family or if there are any relatives still alive I would love to meet them. My grandmother died 12 years ago and would talk often of her brothers and sisters. Her husband's name was Jacob Vernon Hodges and they had 3 daughters, Reva, Frances and Peggy. Frances was my mother. Thanks so much and I hope to hear some news.

Re: John P Hodges/Rocky Mount, Virginia

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 8:30AM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2012 8:30AM GMT
Surnames: Hodges, Jones, Joyce, Joice, Poor, Poore
Your John may be my 1st cousin, three times removed -- I don't have the paper trail to prove this, so I might be wrong. But, I do know that your grandma Sallie's father, John Peter Hodges, and her brother, D. Wilson Hodges, were Sheriffs of Franklin County (they were mentioned in a 1935 newspaper article about Bettie's testimony during the Liquor Trials; John had died by then). I don't know yet if any of Sallie's other brothers were Sheriffs.

John was listed as Peter Hodges in the 1900 and 1910 censuses, and as John P. Hodges in the 1920 census (he and his family lived in Franklin County, VA in all 3 censuses). John was a Farmer in 1900, a Deputy Sheriff in 1910, and Sheriff in 1920. Your grandma Sallie was age 7 in 1910, and age 17 in 1920. John's wife Bettie was listed as divorced in the 1930 census (in Franklin County; her son Wilson lived with her, he was age 21 and a Sheriff).

I'm not 100 percent certain, but it looks like John Peter Hodges was the son of the William Hodges who was the son of Albert/Elbert Hodges and Missouri Adaline Jones. And William's wife was Margaret Joyce, daughter of Allen Joyce (Joice) and Sally Poor (Poore). I have much info, so feel free to contact me for anything you might need.

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 12:48PM GMT
Thank you so much for providing me with your information. It is great to know that I might have relatives from my mother's side still living. But is is also good to know about the ones who have passed. My Grandmother Sallie had 3 daughters, Reva who is still alive, lives outside of Memphis, Tn. My mother Betty Frances and her sister Peggy have both passed. My grandmother would tell me stories about her father who was a sheriff, and how he would bring prisoners home with him to keep them safe. And how he still rode a horse back and forth to his job. She talked about her brothers...not too much about her sisters. She never mentioned anything about the Liquor Conspiracy Trial. I learned about that on my own when I was doing some research about the family. I was a little shocked that she never told me anything about it. Do you know if any of her brother's or sister's have family still living in the area? I was born and raised here in Texas. I did visit Rocky Mount once years ago and did find the graves of her brothers. It was at a cemetery in town by a church. I do not recall what the name of the cemetery was. I do appreciate any info that you might have about our family. Thanks so much. Carla

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 2:09AM GMT
Oh my goodness. I know exactly what you want to know. My grandfather is Ed Hodges, Your grandmother's oldest brother. Half brother actually. I have so much I would like to talk to you about. You and I are third cousins. I have been doing ton of research on our family. Went to Rocky Mount three times. Going again in October. Please call or contact me. I live in Frederick,MD. My phone is 3018985129 my email is thhagy@gmail.com I have pictures of your grandmother and her siblings

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 1:39PM GMT
Hi Carla, I Just realized I did't give you my name. I am Theresa Hodges Hagy. I so hope you read this pist soon. The previous person that gave you info was completely wrong. Perhaps because you asked for info on John Hodges. His name is Joseph Peter Hodges. Sallie (your grandmother) youngest brother Joe was a junior. If you found the graves of Wilson and Joe their Dad is buried right there also. Maybe you dod't notice if you were looking for John. Also, your great grandma Bettie is buried beside Sheriff Joseph Hodges, but there is no headstone. sad. I know because I have her obituary that says where she is buried. Also I have pics of Bettie when she was young and when she was old. Please contact my email soon. Can't wait to talk to you. You have lots of relatives in Rocky Mount and all over. Love, Theresa PS my birthday is the same as Bettie Aug. 18

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 7:54PM GMT
Theresa, just so that Carla and other Hodges descendants in her line will know...the information I stated in April 2012 about her "John" wasn't COMPLETELY wrong, only the part where I named John's possible father and grandparents (but I did preface my statement with "I'm not 100 percent certain").

All of the other information I gave about John is correct, but thanks for letting us know that his true name was Joseph Peter Hodges Sr.!

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 2:51PM GMT
Hi. The mistake is easily understandable. One of the census records listed his name as John. Another listed his name as just Peter. The news paper articles I have read about him, address him as Pete Hodges. Sorry if I may have offended you by saying your info was wrong. Part of it was correct. I just got so excited when I saw a post from my great aunt Sallie's family. Our branch has been looking for those Texas people for a long time. J.P. Hodges' father is Josiah and grandfather is William. Thank you for your help. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, who are the parents of the John Hodges that is your 3rd cousin? Thank you, Sincerely, Theresa Hodges

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 7:56AM GMT
My grandfather was John Peter Hodges, Sr. Born in 1897 in Rocky Mount, VA. He married Cora Lee Hodges. Are any of you familiar with this information?

Posted: 18 Aug 2013 2:13AM GMT
John Peter Hodges was married to my father's sister, Cora Lee Hodges. They were first cousins, John Peter being the son of my father's uncle Filmore Hodges. John Peter is not directly related to the John Peter Hodges of the Great Moonshine Conspiracty Trial (although I'm sure they sold some shine in their time).

John Peter and Cora had eight children, one of whom, Bobby Eugene, was a mentor to me when I was in school at VCU. I believe he was the very first person in the family to attend college. He died a year or so ago.

Posted: 18 Aug 2013 12:12PM GMT
shodges1156 he and my grandmother Cora, lived with us from the time I was about 5 until they both died. Uncle Eugene was very dear to me and upon his passing as well as his first wife Esther, I conducted both of their funeral services. I live Callaway now (until my Bishop) gets a wild hair and sends me further on my journey. I would love to find out more about generations prior to my grandparents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic