Search for content in message boards

Stimac/Vranic

Crnilug, Crni Lug

Charles Wardell (Webmaster) (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Definitely not Lower Austria.

Crni Lug is in today's Croatia -- which was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Please use Croatia-L mailing list:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~hrvwgw/mailing.htm
and/or:
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Croatia/General

Note: there are other Crni Lugs in Serbia and in Bosnia and Herzegovina too. See:
http://www.jewishgen.org/shtetlseeker/loctown.htm

Stimac/Vranic

Posted: 6 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2002 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: Stimac, Vranic
HI!
My great great grandparents came from Crnilug,Austria. I was wondering if there was any information on them there. His name was George Stimac and hers was Mary Vranic. I do not know if Vranic was her middle or last name. They came to the US from a port in France on the "La Touraine" in 1899. The spelling may have even been changed I'm not sure. I was told they came from a village where everyone had the same last names. His brother Joe when he came to the US with him was given the last name "Glova" I was told that the last names they were given were what they did for a living. I don't know if that is true or not. I have been running into some dead ends so if anyone may know of any informtion or can even tell me where I may find some it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

STIMAC/VRANICH

RUDY (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
MY GRANDFATHER, GEORGE STIMAC, CAME HERE IN 1915 FROM CRNI LUG, CROATIA, WITH HIS BROTHER-IN-LAW, JOE RAUKER, TO WORK IN THE COPPER MINES IN PAINESDALE, MICHIGAN. WHEN HE EARNED ENOUGH $ HE BROUGHT HIS WIFE AND THREE SONS, (GEORGE, MICHAEL, & RUDY) OVER TO JOIN HIM. MY FATHER, RUDY, MARRIED HELEN VRANICH IN 1937, AND HER MOTHER WAS MARY VRANICH, BUT MARY WAS NOT FROM CRNI LUG. SHE CAME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE IN CROATIA. I JUST NOTICED A LOT OF SIMILARITIES IN YOUR INQUIRY AND THOUGHT THIS MIGHT HELP.

Re: Stimac/Vranic

Posted: 9 Jul 2003 9:05PM GMT
HI! Kristina Nailen here-daughter of Aleksandra Nailen (nee Vranic)-my mother immigrated to the U.S. in '65 w/ brother and parents--they're from Serbia. Any ideas, connections, etc? Also, my best friend, (yes, I am a lowly high schooler), has a friend w/ the last name Stimac. I know he's Croatian-I'm not sure if this friend of my friend knows that he is or what-but I can inquire if you are interested. We live in Milwaukee and Greendale, WI--I know that Vranic and Stimac are fairly common, but I am willing to try and find out any info. Also, this best friend of mine, her maternal great-grandfather's nameis Vrana-they came from Czechoslovakia/Austria? Any ties??? Whew--that's a lot of info to digest, please respond ASAP! Thanks

Tim (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2003 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Stimac
Hi, I thought I had found the Frank and Mary Stimac I had been looking for on the Ellis island site. I found out later that that wasn't the case...sorry. You might find some info there that could help. Thanks for replying and good luck.

Posted: 24 Aug 2003 6:58PM GMT
Tim

Have you found anything about your STIMAC ancestors? I recently did a seminar for St Nicholas Croatian Byzantine Church in Cleveland. Most folks from this church are from Zumberak area of Croatia. There are many STIMAC in that region both Byzantine Rite and Roman Rite Catholics. Let me know if you need some help in locating info.

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio
PS Lower Austria was not the area that is now Croatia and Slovenia but was actually to the north.

Posted: 24 Aug 2003 7:33PM GMT
Hi Kristina,

VRANA is a common name from several Slavic speaking countries.

For instance in Ellis Island records there are 130 VRANA arrivals from 1892-1924. This is how they listed their Race (what we now call ethnicity0

6- Croatian
30 - Slovak
44 - Bohemian (now called Czech)
1- Romanian
0-Servian

Many of the remaining were recorded on ship manifests that had no Race category.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

There are 7 categories of surnames:

Occupational - such as KOVAC = smith, like a blacksmith or KLOBUCAR = hat maker, etc.

Patronymic from a male given name such as IVANIC son of Ivan (John)

Matronymic from a female given name such as KATIC, son of Kata (Kate)

Geographic such as BOSANAC = from Bosna

Nature such as VRANA = crow, MEDVED = bear, PUZ = snail

From foreign words such as HAJDUK from a Turkish word for a bandit, AMIDZIC, from a turkish word for uncle, DIZDAR from a Turkish military official, POTURICA literally means one who converted to the Turkish way of life

From a nickname such as MALETIC from male meaning small, etc..

What is interesting is that NAILEN is found in Ellis Is records coming from Scotland.

Interesting stuff this family history!

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio
http://www.croatia-in-english.com/rj/index.html

Re: STIMAC/VRANICH

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 5:36AM GMT
Surnames: vranich
Does your Helen Vranich have any relation to Mike Vranich (1887-1975), Anna Vranich and their daughter Elizabeth (Betti) Vranich (1915-?). Elizabeth was born in Pennsylvania but grew up in Detroit area. I have photographs of her with a "Helen."

Re: STIMAC/VRANICH

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:03PM GMT
Where was your Mike VRANICH from?

Robert Jerin

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:04PM GMT
More likely that VRANIC is a patronymic name. Root may be Vrane, a regional dialectical variant of Frane.

Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions