Search for content in message boards

South Idaho Insane Asylum

South Idaho Insane Asylum

Posted: 4 Jan 2006 3:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi everyone,

Ive got a free database online for the South Idaho Insane Asylum in Bingham county, its an index of insane patients there for the year 1930.

You can view it at:

http://blacksheepancestors.com/usa/idaho_insane.shtml

Re: South Idaho Insane Asylum

Shirley Brewer (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2006 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: harrington
Hi:
How can I get this information for the year 1900 for a Harrington

Juvanne Martin (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2006 10:34PM GMT
Shirley, did you try checking the census?
Juvanne Martin

Posted: 21 Feb 2006 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: Harrington
No... I did call them a few years ago and they said that i would need a lawyer to get any records .. But I will try this census ..never thought of that !!!

Posted: 22 Feb 2006 1:00AM GMT
Why does everyone accept what the hospital has to say at face value? Is it not true that where public records are concerned in Idaho that exempt and non exempt information are to be separated when requested? No doubt much of the information you seek is non exempt. Check out Idaho public law concerning your information. It should apply to the hospital too.

Posted: 22 Feb 2006 2:09AM GMT
What do you mean? Where do I check. I am very interested in getting this information on my relatives grandmother.
Thanks
Shirley

Posted: 22 Feb 2006 2:34AM GMT
I'm sorry. I think I got you confused with someone who said they were going to visit the asylum. Please accept my apology!

Juvanne Martin (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2006 4:37AM GMT
Nope, I'm not visiting. sorry.
Juvanne Martin, CG
Nampa, Idaho

Sandy Scruggs (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2006 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: William Bowlin
How do you get information about family member who died there and the hospital won't give any info other than he is buried in there cemetry. He passed away in early 1900's.
I have checked death records and cenus but nothing.
Thsnk you.

Posted: 17 Nov 2006 2:43PM GMT
This is a tough question because Idaho makes it that way. For me this all "boils down" to the state attorney general allowing the hospital to let their administrative rules supercede public law. The state attorney general doesn't seem to have the control of the situation that he should have. Public law basically says that where restricted records and unrestricted records are stored together, the unrestricted records are to be released to the public. Officially, the hospital will tell you absolutely nothing about a relative. Does that sound right to anybody? State Hospital South's administrative rules override state law. The state attorney general's answer is to let you settle the matter in court. Apparently, the law will only be obeyed if the time and money is spent in Idaho courts. The current governor's administration was very helpful, but they can only do so much. The last governor's administration was no help at all.
My recommendation to you is to "beat the bushes" and "shake the trees" any way you can. Myself, I've written newspapers, state and federal representatives, governor's offices. If enough people would do the same, somebody, someday might do something about this. The freedom of information act just doesn't do enough yet. I'm not finished, and I'm not going to spend time and money in court. Yes, these folks that we're interested in were wards of the state but the information about them is strictly personal family informtion that no one has a right to permanently withold from family members. I'll get down off of my soap box now and good luck to you. Making any headway with information about you family member will not be easy. Hopefully, ancestry.com will allow this message to stand.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions