Search for content in message boards

Chalman, Chelman, Kjellman (Sweden>NE USA)

Chalman, Chelman, Kjellman (Sweden>NE USA)

Olof Kjellman (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jul 2002 1:35AM GMT
Surnames: Chalman, Chelman, Kjellman
In 1865 my relatives Johan and Henning Edvard Chalman
arrived in Omaha, Douglas county, Nebraska.

Johan got seven Children together with his Swedish wife
Augusta Mathilda:
Emma Mathilda b. 12 nov 1871
Jenny Alida b. 23/11 1874
Hulda Amalia b. 29/2 1876
Georg Emil b. 30/12 1878
Augusta Eleonora b. 24/2 1882
Harry Alfred b. 12/5 1884
Suzie Edith b. 15/4 1887.

According to census they still lived in Omaha (West) in
1910 and also in 1915.

Do you have any further information?

Chollman, Kjellman

Olof Kjellman (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Chollman
In documents from 1915 my relatives name themselves
Chollman. Most of them lived at 2122 Charles St., Omaha.

Re: Chelman, Kjellman (Sweden>Sydney Australia)

Posted: 12 Feb 2005 6:04AM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2005 11:40AM GMT
Surnames: Chelman, Kjellman, Chellman
Hello, my great grandfather Ocean (Ossian ?) Chelman (Kjellman ?) from Gotenberg Sweden came to Australia 18...? and married my great grandmother at Port Macquarie New South Wales Australia in the eighteen sixties. His Father's name was Christian Chelman and Mother's name was Olina Sorrensdotter (could be Torrensdotter) can you make a connection with this Chelman? I have got my fingers crossed.
Cheers......Nouvelle from Sydney Australia

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 12:54AM GMT
Surnames: chelman
Hi Nouvelle. My name is cheryl chelman & I live in Coffs Harbour NSW. i was doing a search on the family name & came across your query. i strongly believe that we are direct decendants of ocean Chelman as we have a fairly good record of the family tree. we have information about the marraige in port maqaurie / telegraph point etc and lots of other information relating to this family. if you would like more information please contact me, i would be happy to pass on whatever we know. I realise it has been a long time since your request but none the less you may still be interested in the information.awaiting your reply, cheryl

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 3:41AM GMT
i have info on ocean carl chelman b.26 May 1836 m.jane Elizabeth wilson 25 mar 1868 had 15 kids oceans parents were christian Chelman 3 Jul 1787 Lovstad Malmohus Sweden m.olena Sorensdotter 22 Apr 1814 Foss gotenburg sweden she was born 16 Feb 1794 they had 1 child Ocean. Christian last name was really Christiansson not Chelman/Kjellman thow his fathers name was Kristian Kjellman 1720 Lovstad Sweden d.21sep 1796 a week before his last child was born there were 11 of them he married Katerina Charlotta Lindstrom 6 Apr 1781 ihave more info on children starts getting tricky being Sweden you need to add son/dotter to the first names like christians/son christians/dotter for girls ossiansson-dotter ect...happy to help

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 12:31AM GMT
I'm a descendant of Ocean [no Carl in records I've found] Chelman & Jane [no Elizabeth in any record I've found] (nee Wilson)'s dau Christina who married Joseph Davis Rowsell. I wrote to a search organisation in Sweden many years ago & they advised that the family name of Chelman wouldn't have been correct as there were no Swedish surnames starting with 'Ch' & that his name would have more probably been Ossian Ksellman or Kjellman. Where did you find your info? One of Oceazn & Jane's sons was Ocean Carl Chelman & Elizabeth was the name of Jane's mother.
Aileen Trinder
aileenjt@tpg.com.au

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 12:32AM GMT
I'm a descendant of Ocean [no Carl in records I've found] Chelman & Jane [no Elizabeth in any record I've found] (nee Wilson)'s dau Christina who married Joseph Davis Rowsell. I wrote to a search organisation in Sweden many years ago & they advised that the family name of Chelman wouldn't have been correct as there were no Swedish surnames starting with 'Ch' & that his name would have more probably been Ossian Ksellman or Kjellman. Where did you find your info? One of Ocean & Jane's sons was Ocean Carl Chelman & Elizabeth was the name of Jane's mother.
Aileen Trinder
aileenjt@tpg.com.au

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 12:53AM GMT
I am a descendant of Ocean Chelman [no Carl] who m. Jane Wilson [no Elizabeth, that was her mother] via their dau, Christina who m. Joseph Davis Rowsell. The Chelmans had 14 chn in NSW from my list. I am interested in your info & where you found it. I knew about the naming of sons/daus with the sons having either 1st or last of father's name with 'son' added & the dau either her mother's or father's 1st or family name with 'dotter' & means 'daughter of'. I was advised yrs ago when I wrote to Sweden that there wouldn't be any surnames commencing with 'Ch' & it would probably be 'Kjellman' or 'Ksellman'. Please contact as below.
Aileen Trinder
aileenjt@tpg.com.au

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Kjellman
I am related to Christan Kjellman, grandfather of Ocean Chelman (his real name was Ossian Kjellman). Christian Kjellman had a son also called Christian Kjellman, and his son Ocean (Ossian) left Gothenburg in Sweden 1853-1855 (not sure about the date). I know a lot about the Kjellman family before 1850.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic