Search for content in message boards

FREEMAN, JONES & STOKES FAMILIES

FREEMAN, JONES & STOKES FAMILIES

Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: FREEMAN, JONES, STOKES
I am researching the ancestors and descendants of Arthur FREEEMAN (b. ca. 1715 SURRY CO. VA., d. ca. 1750 Lunenburg Co. VA) who married Agnes STOKES in SURRY CO., VA ca. 1740 and left four children including Henry Freeman and Keziah Freeman. Believe Arthur's father to be Henry Freeman son of John Freeman of SURRY CO, VA who married Prudence Jones, dau. Arthur Jones of SURRY CO., VA. Any information on John Freeman, Jr. of SURRY CO, VA (b.ca. 1680 d. ca. 1725 Surry Co., VA)and his ancestors would be appreciated. Will swap copius information on FREEMAN descendants to present time.

Freeman Family

Posted: 3 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman
I was wondering if maybe John had a brother names George b.abt 1680 D. 1735 in Henrico Co.

Freeman Family

Thomas J. Reed (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: FREEMAN
Samuel:
Saw your inquiry on John C. Freeman's brothers. So far as I know, John C. Freeman did not have a brother named George, at least no one by that name is listed in his father's will (Thrower Freeman died ca. 1823 survived by two sons and three daughters, I believe --I am at work so don't have all information to check here). His onlby brother I am aware of was Edward who married into the Watkins clan and dissipated his inheritance. John C. Freeman guaranteed some of his brother's debts and I think the ensuing legal battle over his liabilty for those debts helped him to make up his mind to emigrate to Tennessee. Enjoyned your comment, would like to know more abourt your Freeman line.

Freeman Family

Posted: 27 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 2:32PM GMT
My Line is; George of Henrico B. Abt 1685, Holman of Wiulkes Co. Ga. b. abt 1714,James Of Wilkes co. b. abt 1749, Franklin Of Al B. abt 1792, Franklin of La. B 1824, Soloman of La B 1868, Paul b. 1897 then Me Sam freeman B 1929 would be interested in your family contact me at dsamdsue@aol.com

Re: Freeman Family...E.A. (Edward) Freeman Gibson Co TN

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2002 5:35PM GMT
Do you know where Edward went in TN? Could he be E.A Freeman who was in Gibson Co TN?

I believe E. A. Freeman had some kind of relationship ot Reeds from down in middle TN., althought I don't know much about it, this Reed were supposedly Indian who came up to Gibson Co from middle TN with Davy Crockett. Our Shade Wilson m. into the family of Davy's wife.

Shade Wilson was his admr or exr. there. The Wilson family seems to have relatives in Surry VA which I have not quite figured out yet, but another message of yours I believe mentioned Surry, VA.

Marilyn

Re: FREEMAN, JONES & STOKES FAMILIES

Laird Chadwick Moore (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2005 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Jones/Stokes/Moore
I have yet to find a Moore/Freeman marriage in Sussex but I know the Freeman's live close to the old Moore place . The Jones and Stokes families are a little different ,,, there was a Robert Moore who married a Priscilla Jones and I would like to know her family. Robert son of Thomas Moore and Pheobe Loftin

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 1:23AM GMT
Surnames: FREEMAN, JONES, STOKES
This is an update to my 2000 posting. I am still working on the ancestors of Arthur Freeman & Agnes Stokes of Surry & Lunenburg Counties. Arthur was the son of Henry Freeman and Prudence Jones, who was in turn the son of John Freeman. All this is proved from original records. I am still searching for John Freeman's spoiuse, his birth and his parents & grand parents. According to Garland Hopkins 1942 Freeman Forbears, John Freeman was a lineal descendent of Col. Bridges Freeman of James City County, but he cited no records in proof of the relationship.
Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Posted: 14 Dec 2006 5:49PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Lewis, Pitts
If what I have is correct, you are right that John Freeman descends from Col. Bridges Freeman. John was his grandson. John's father was James Freeman and his mother either Mary Hancock or Sarah Merrick. His wife was Elizabeth Stokes d/o Sylvanus Stokes and Mary Bishop. Agnes Stokes, wife of Arthur Freeman, was the d/o Hamlin Stokes, grandson of Sylvanus and Mary Bishop Stokes (sometimes these family lines can get complicated!)Prudence Jones, wife of Henry, was d/o Capt. Arthur Jones and Prudence Baldwin whose 1st husband was Robert Webb. I have not researched these lines in depth but am interested in this area. My lines of interest are the Pitt/Pitts and Williams families. All these folks were in the same area. Hope this will help.
Billie

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: FREEMAN, JONES
Thank you. I have verified the relationship between Arthur Jones' dau. Prudence and our line, thanks to Surry Co probate records showing that Arthur Jones willed a slave to his daughter Prudence, whenever "old John Freeman" transfers title to the land where Henry & Prudence live to Henry. Two years later, John Freeman executed a deed to a parcel of Surry land on Blackwater to his son Henry.
What sources do you have for John Freeman's ancestors? Is it Garland Hopkins, or one of the LDS posted lineages for the Freeman family, based on Hopkins? I am looking for a will, probate record, deed or other documentary evidence showing the descent from Col. Bridges Freeman.

Re: Freeman Family

Posted: 6 Dec 2008 3:07PM GMT
Would appreciate any info

George Freeman jr.
b.1684

m. Jane Holman
b.1689
d. d.1825 Wilkes County,GA

Hannah ca.1710 John Freeman
b1757
George 1712 d.1-7-1807
Holson Freeman
Allis or Ailsie b.1759
d.prior to 11-3-1807
John William Freeman

Joseph 1720
Rebecca

Family tradition says that Frances
Taylor Freeman was a descendent
of George Taylor who signed the
Declaration of Independence

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions