Search for content in message boards

Edward Rutledge

Edward Rutledge

Anna (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2000 6:32PM GMT
does anybody know who Edward Rutledge married??? i think i might have an idea because i think thats how i am related to Edward Rutledge but if you know who he married it would be a great help to me...it might be my missing link...so please reply if you know..thank you so much! -anna

Edward Rutledge

Bill Procter (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2000 9:04AM GMT
Edward Rutledge had two wives, Mary Shubrick and Henrietta Middleton. Henrietta's father was in the revolutionary army and their son was in the army I believe. Edward had a brother by the name of John that signed the constitution and was elected to the Continental Congress. Their father was Dr. John Rutledge born in Tyrone County, Ireland. Mother was Sarah Hext. Edward was born, 11-23-1749, in Charleston, SC and died 01-23-1800. You can find out more on his siblings and family on ancestry. com or on the Ladder Day Saints (marmons) family research web site. I am suppose to be related to John Rutledge but are unable to find a link between John and Lorenzo Dow Rutledge.

Edward Rutledge

Anna (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2000 2:26PM GMT
Thank you so much for your information. Though i do not have anything on Lorenzo Dow Rutledge. I'm sorry...but if i do come across anything than i will be sure to tell you. If you find anything then please pass it on to me..and I will do the same for you.
-anna

Edward Rutledge

Angie Palmer (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2000 5:53PM GMT
Somehow I am connected to Edward Rutledge. My mother is a Rutledge. I have some papers that were copied from someone in my family, that list John Rutledge Sr, born Oct 17,1738 married his first wife, Hannah ? Rutledge, born May 16, 1746. They had thirteen children. A Jane or Jean, Edward, Rebecca and Elizabeth whom are twins,Richard, John jr, Penelope, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Fanny, and two others that I cant make out the names. John then married his second wife Elizabeth Downs, born Aug 28, 1769. They had two children, Mary and Nancy. John then died on Feb 8, 1800 or 1803. If there is any connection please email me. Angie

Edward Rutledge

Anna (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2000 3:19PM GMT
i am also realted to Edward...i'm not sure if this is all correct but i will tell you anyways. if you kinda far down the Rutledge path you will notice that a Rutledge named
Aquilla Idafrances Rutledge married William Franklin Monroe Baggett and then his daughter or sistor or something i'm not quite sure of married a Coker and thats my last name...my Great Great Grandmother was a Rutledge also..so i don't have to go very far to be related to them...that is all i know...
-anna

Edward Rutledge-Lorenzo Dow Rutledge

Posted: 7 Dec 2000 12:51AM GMT
Edited: 26 Apr 2004 11:42PM GMT
Hello Bill,
I tried to contact you once before from a very old message and never got a reply, anyway, I too am from the Lorenzo Dow Rutledge1813VA line. Have family bible record from his kids to share (Jackson Middleton Rutledge>Lorenzo Dow Rutledge>Elizabeth J. Rutledge is my line>Baugher>Eggimann>me)
Have info from Rutledge mailing list on Rootsweb and several genealogy files there. That line too is trying to get back to SC but they tell me Jackson Middleton Rutledge +Singleton are Lorenzo Dow's parents. They thought his mother possibly wasn't married to his father. Jackson Middleton Rutledge +Singleton parents of Thomas, Emmanuel, Lorenzo Dow, Lucy according to what I have heard.
Most of our line went to TN Hawkins Co. and Bledsoe Co. 1840ish census, before going on to Hardin County, IL (Harrisburg, IL and down to the KY border at Crittenden Co KY) Don't remember if it was my Rutledges or Ratcliff's that also went on to Sikeston, MO.
Finding a direct link to the Decl signers is important quickly for me since I have 2 kids in college next fall and there is a scholarship for decendents of signers of decl.
Contact me at Light60466@aol.com and I will share what I know.
Sincerly, Barbara Eggimann Krupa
(Light60466@aol.com)

Rutledge Ancestry

Bill Procter (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2000 12:02PM GMT
Barbara,
I got your message earlier in the month. Sorry I was unable to get back with you sooner. I haven't had time to look back at some of my aunts records and stories yet but plan to do it during the holidays. I was good to her from you and I look forward to doing some family research with you. I have kids in college also.

Bill Procter
origtees@aol.com or bluff5@aol.com

Re: Edward Rutledge

Benjamin B. Smith (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2001 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Anna: Edward Rutledge (and his older brother, John) are both my fourth great grandfathers. Edward married Henrietta Middleton, daughter of Henry Middleton, a member of Continental Congress, and sister of Arthur Middleton, who along with Edward, signed the Declaration of Independence. Edward's brother John signed the Constitution, and was first Governor of South Carolina, and second Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. I have proved that their father, Dr. John Rutledge, came from County Kilkenny, Ireland. Mary Shubrick was Edward's second wife, no children. Edward and his first wife Henrietta had one son, Henry Middleton Rutledge, who moved from Charleston to Nashville - married his first cousin Septima Sexta Middleton. All of Edward Rutledge's descendants come from this line. I doubt that you are a descendant.

Benjamin B. Smith (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2001 8:25PM GMT
You got it almost right! Henrietta Middleton's father was Henry Middleton, a member of Continetal Congress. Her brother was Arthur Middleton, signer of the Declaration of Independence from South Carolina. Edward and Henrietta (my ggg-great grandparents) had a son, Henry Middleton Rutledge, who married his first cousin, Septima Sexta Middleton, and they moved from Charleston SC to Nashville, TN, to settle 75,000 acres given by a grateful Congress. Mary Shubrick was Edward Rutledge's second wife, and had no children. Edward's older brother, John Rutledge, was elected President of South Carolina, then Governor; signed the Constitution, and was appointed by President Washington as second Chief Justice of U. S. Supreme Court. Their father, Dr. John Rutledge, came from County Kilkenny, Ireland, and I have proof!

Alice Cebula (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2001 11:49PM GMT
Did Edward Middleton Rutledge have a daughter, Catherine, who was married to James Simpson? Did she live in Orangeburg District, SC?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions