Search for content in message boards

Cemetery Clean Up Project

Cemetery Clean Up Project

Posted: 22 May 2008 10:57AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: OBRIANT POOLE
We are in the process of cleaning up the old Matthew OBriant Cemetery. It's located on Olive Branch Church Road close to Hwy 49. There is A LOT to clean up as it was left unattended for several years. Right now there are only two people working at it and its going slow. The only day to work on the grave is Wednesday. If anyone would be interested in giving a hand pleass contact me. The names in the cemetery are Poole and OBriant. Yesterday we uncovered 12 graves with no markers so there are others buried there, we just don't know who they are.

Re: Cemetery Clean Up Project

Posted: 23 May 2008 10:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Please consider doing a survey of this cemetery and sending it to me to post. See how-to at http://ncperson.org/cemetery-guidelines.htm and other cemetery surveys at http://ncperson.org/cemetery_index.htm.
Contact me off line. You will find my email address at http://ncperson.org/email.htm.
Others are also welcome - and encouraged - to send Person County cemetery surveys.

Posted: 23 May 2008 10:20AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Definitely ! That is my goal once the cemetery is cleared. Hopefully we will be able to find out who else is buried out there. I've taken pics of the headstones that are there but I'll do a complete survey when its all cleared out. ((hope you are doing well, haven't talked to you in a while)) - CINDY BENNETT

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: Poole
How did your cleanup of the Obriant-Poole Cemetery do? I am related to the Poole Family of Halifax/Mecklenburg Virginia area and have mass confusion due to so many families with very similar names in the same neighborhoods. Also, as a side note, I am cleaning up the Barnett Cemetery in Eden, NC, with some help from a few members of the Eden Preservation Society. This is the second cemetery we have worked on in Rockingham County, NC. We post all cemetery listings on findagrave.com.

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 7:25PM GMT
It went well. I helped the first day. The couple that I was helping went back to finish it up later. They did a great job on it. We found many more graves, but no headstones at the graves.

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 6:56AM GMT
That is great but hopefully a headstone will show up. We are working from the WPA Cemetery Census and know there were seven graves at the Barnett Cemetery. So far, only four have been found with the fourth stone lying flat under 2-3 inches of roots and topsoil. After years of neglect, these projects require a lot of time and energy. I grew up in Roxboro and my thanks to all who take the time to preserve these sites.

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 6:48PM GMT
I love Roxboro. I was up there a few weeks ago for a quick ride through the city. Most of my ancestors on both sides of the family are from Roxboro/Person County area. We have one more line to connect to that area. Keeping my fingers crossed that the connection will be made soon.

It is so vital to keep the cemeteries cleaned and surveyed. My grandmother is in a cemetery that desperately needs cleaning. Hopefully one of these days soon it will happen

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 6:59PM GMT
I go back to Roxboro about once a week since my parents still live there. Most of my relatives and ancestors are from the Person Co, NC , Halifax Co/ Mecklenburg Co. VA. area. Luckily I am only 90 minutes away in Rockingham Co., NC.

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 7:10PM GMT
We should compare ancestors. We are probably related some where down the line. Email CABforHIM@aol.com

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 9:15PM GMT
mr. clay my name is albert t. moore i am the great grandson of lucy moore chandler wife of joel chandler i am tring to find where they are buried can you help me thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic