Search for content in message boards

SLIGO HERITAGE & GENEALOGY CENTRE

SLIGO HERITAGE & GENEALOGY CENTRE

Posted: 23 Mar 2004 3:25PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 11 Apr 2004 9:50AM GMT
Surnames: PHIBBS/FIBBS
Hi,
I have a massive lookup to ask anybody who is willing. First of all, for anybody who has not already seen it, there is a great website at www.sligoroots.com, which has a free search for records. I have been using this and found several records related to my family research, mainly held at the Sligo Heritage and Genealogical Society (As well as a few at the Leitrim counterpart). I am very keen to see a copy of some of these records, but I can't get to the centre myself at the moment.If anybody has seen teh records I am after. or will be seeing them soon, I was hoping you could let me know what they say? I don't know if they charge for going and looking at the records, so if anybody knows, please let me know. I am interested in the birth record of a Matthew Phibbs born ca.1822, of a Toby Phibbs born ca.1774 and the marriage records of a Matthew Phibbs and Gormley Connor (ca.1820) and of any records pertaining to an Eccles Phibbs born ca.1799 and died ca.1867.
Hope to hear from somebody with experience of the records held there.
Thanks,
Sarah

Re: SLIGO HERITAGE & GENEALOGY CENTRE

Posted: 28 Mar 2004 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 May 2005 3:31PM GMT
Research undertaken at Sligo Heritage Centre

Matthew Phibbs
birthdate 18220305
baptism date 18220319
i.e. born 5th March, baptised 19th March 1822
no address indicated.
Father: Matthew Phibbs Mother: Jane Clifford
Ref: File S5
Church of Ireland Baptisms for Union of Sligo 1801 - 1899

Another reference
File S6
Marriage Report for Emlaghfad Church of Ireland 1762 - 1894
Matthew Phibbs - no parish indicated married Mary Irwin - no parish indicated and no marriage date indicated.

Hope this is of help.

Posted: 28 Mar 2004 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: PHIBBS/FIBBS
To whomever posted that record,
Thank you so much. it was immensely helpful and very kind of you to look into it for me. If anybody happens across the other records I mentioned, please get in contact with me. Also, if anybody knows about records of emigration to Scotland, please get in contact with me. I am trying to trace a man who emigrated to Scotland 1835-45 and I am not sure how to go about doing it. Does anybody know if records of people who went to Scotland were kept? As it is not very far, I think it doubtful, but if anybody knows better, please let me know.
Thanks again for all your help.
Sarah

Posted: 28 Mar 2004 8:35PM GMT
If you want more info re your Irish ancestry then let me know what you are looking for, be more specific. Can't help with Scotland as I have done no research but if you have any idea of names, dates and areas then the surveys held every ten years since 1851 (I think) may be of use. The Church of the Latter Day Saints have a fantastic website of genealogical information.

Posted: 28 Mar 2004 9:08PM GMT
Sorry, clumsy fingers sent email to wrong address.

If you want more help with the Irish connection get back in touch. Can't help with Scotland as I have done no research there.

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 6:50AM GMT
Surnames: Phibbs/FIBBS/ECCLES
Hi,
Thanks for your post. I am interested in quite specific names, but you didn't leave an email address to contact you with? I am particularly interested in an Eccles Phibbs born in Sligo ca.1799 and died ca.1867. I am also particularly interesting in A Patrick Phibbs born about the same sort of time, a richard Phibbs born ca.1804 and a John Phibbs who married a Miss Anna Rebecca Eccles - he would have been born ca.1773 I think. I have checked the LDS website but it doesn't have much on this information. Anything you or anybody could find would be useful.
Thanks,
Sarah

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 6:56AM GMT
Surnames: Phibbs/Fibbs/Eccles
Hi,
I am interested in a number of specific names but you don't give an email address I can contact you with? I am particularly interested in an Eccles Phibbs born ca. 1799, died ca.1867, married a Miss Jane Gawly.Also a Patrick Phibbs born about this time, a Rihcard Phibbs born ca.1804 and a John Phibbs born ca.1773, who married Miss Anna Rebecca Eccles. All in Ireland. If you or anybody has info, please contact me.
Thanks,
Sarah

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: PHIBBS/CONNOR/ARMSTRONG/FIBBS
Hi,
Just an addendum to my post of yesterday to say that there are two further records held at the Sligo Heritage Centre which I would be interested in..
1. A John Phibbs' marriage to a Jane Armstrong in 1818
2. A Matthew Phibbs' marriage to a Gormly Connor in 1820
If anyone can get access to these or comes across them, please let me know.
Thanks.
Sarah

Posted: 20 Apr 2004 10:29PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2005 7:35PM GMT
You can look at all the Scottish census from 1841 onwards just write 'scottish census ' in google ,and that should lead you to it.My Irish relations(gaughans and Hunts (well;im Irish myself),went from Sligo /Mayo in about 1950a and they went toDumfries and Galloway on the west coast.After that they moved to the Durham coalmining area ,some stayed and others went to the U.S.A Good luck

Anne Burgess (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2004 10:22AM GMT
Joan, I was so interested to read of your ancestors going to the Durham coal-mining area in 1850. Do you know what drew them to that area? My Gallaghers went from Sligo (and my McPadens from just over the border in Leitrim) to Newcastle/Durham about the same time, but we can't figure out what the attraction was. Did the coal mine owners recruit in Sligo? I'd be grateful for any information.
Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions