Search for content in message boards

PRITCHARD/GRAGG

PRITCHARD/GRAGG

Posted: 15 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jan 2004 1:31AM GMT
I am looking for information on the Alfred PRITCHARD family. Alfred was born about 1802 and lived in Burke County. He married Elizabeth Gragg and had 3 daughters that I know of. The youngest (?) was Malinda Pritchard who married William "Keith" Blalock. Both Keith and Malinda joined the Confederate Army. Alfred later married
Matilda Penley and had 6 more children. Does any one have information on this family?

Alfred Pritchard family

Jennifer Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Shell, McCall, Davis
Your Alfred Pritchard family is found in Caldwell Co. in both the 1850 and 1860 census. Will give you the specifics, if you e-mail me. I'm surprized no one has responded before this.
Jennifer

Re: PRITCHARD/GRAGG

margaret pritchard clark (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2004 5:39AM GMT
Surnames: Pritchards
I just recently found where Alfred Pritchard married a Betsy Gragg Feb,19,1830 Bucknell Pritchard was a witness .Buckner Pritchard was my gg grandpa and his son Rufus Pritchard was my g grandpa and Rufus's son John Camel Pritchard was my grandpa . My dads name was Jesse Theodore Pritchard.Most of the Pritchards were raised in the Upper Creek township in Burke County and it was so close to the Caldwell line some did live in Calwell County.I think this Alfred is either Buckner brother or his son.I would love to know more.I too, was raised on Uppercreek. Margaret

Posted: 15 Nov 2013 11:36PM GMT
Surnames: Pritchard, Gragg, Blalock, Slaughter
I have absolute proof that the Sarah Melinda Pritchard who married Wm. McKesson "Keith" Blalcok was the daughter of John Pritchard & Sarah Pearce of Alexander Co., N.C. and that the Malinda Pritchard, age 10, in the 1850 Census of Caldwell Co., N.C. was the daughter of Alfred Pritchard & Elizabeth "Betsey" Gragg.
This Malinda Pritchard died on 14 June, 1919 in Ironton, Ohio and was the widow of Martin Slaughter of Ironton, Ohio.

If you have any questions, please contact me at: jpfannin[AT]hotmail.com

Posted: 15 Nov 2013 11:39PM GMT
Surnames: Pritchard
What information do you have on Buckner Pritchard?

Thank you,

Pat Fannin
jpfannin[AT]hotmail.com

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 5:54AM GMT
Surnames: Pritchard, Gragg, Pulliam. Slaughter, Tisdale, Fannin
I have recently uncovered indisputable documentary evidence that Malinda Pritchard (b. 1840) d/o Alfred Pritchard & Elizabeth Gragg of Caldwell Co., NC.(1850 Fed. Census) was not the Sarah Melinda Pritchard who married Wm. McKesson "Keith" Blalock. Sarah Melinda Pritchard was the d/o of John Pritchard & Sarah Pearce of Alexander Co., NC. See 1850 Fed. Census of Alexander Co., NC, including her brother's names.

Alfred & Elizabeth's daughter, Malinda Pritchard moved with her sister Nancy, who married David Moody,
in Letcher Co., Ky. in 1852 and later to Lawrence Co., Ky. There Malinda Pritchard married Emanuel Slaughter on 22 Feb., 1859 at the Peach Orchard Coal Works, a short distance from where David & Nancy Pritchard Moody were living. Emanuel Slaughter died at 2nd Bull Run and Malinda married his brother, Martin Slaughter, in Ironton, Lawrence Co., Ohio, on 2 February, 1863. After Martin Slaughter died in 1916, Malinda Slaughter married James Tisdale at Catlettsburg, Boyd Co., Ky. on 10 Sept, 1918. Her parent's are listed as Alfred Pritchard of NC & Betsey Gragg of NC. in the Boyd Co., Ky. Marriages, Volume 15, page 49.

Malinda divorced James Tisdale in Ironton, Lawrence Co., Ohio on 22 April, 1919 & was restored to her former name of Malinda Slaughter. She died on 14 June, 1919 in Ironton, Ohio at her son Martin's house. Her obituary in the "Morning Irontonian" on Sunday, 15 June, 1919 names her parents as Albert (Aka Alfred) & Betsey Pritchard of NC & states Malinda's age as 79 years, born NC.

Emanuel Slaughter & Malinda Pritchard's first child was born in 1860 in Lawrence Co., Ky. He was named Alfred. Alfred Slaughter changed his name to Albert between 1870 & 1880 and retained that name throughout his life. This is most likely the reason the family thought Malinda's father's name was Albert instead of Alfred & recorded it so in her obituary, which is contrary to the father's name as given by Malinda herself at her marriage to James Tisdale.

Elizabeth Gragg was probably the daughter of William Obidiah Gragg, Jr. & Elizabeth Pulliam of Burke Co. (now Avery Co.) NC an American Patriot of the Revolutionary War. This has not been proven conclusively.

If you have any questions, please contact me at: jpfannin[AT]hotmail.com

Regards,

Pat Fannin
221 N. Fifth St.
Ironton, Ohio 45638
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions