Search for content in message boards

Lewis Cemetery outside or Orrick, MO.

Lewis Cemetery outside or Orrick, MO.

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 6:57PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 1 Oct 2005 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Maddox, Broadhurst
I am trying to find an address and or phone number for the Lewis Cemetery just outside of Orrick. Doing a genealogical search for James Daniel Maddox and his wife Virginia Sylvania (Broadhurst) Maddox and know that they are buried in the Lewis Cemetery. I live in California and can't get back there. Trying to get pictures of their graves and of cemetery. If you can help me in finding an address I can most likely find someone to go do the site search for me. The Lewis Cemetery is about 43 miles from the Kansas boarder, and just a wee bit north east of Orrick in Ray County, MO. Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Re: Lewis Cemetery outside or Orrick, MO.

John Pritchard (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2003 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
If you will visit this site you will find some helpful people. Just scroll down to Ray County and contact one of the volunteers.

http://www.raogk.com/missouri2.htm

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 11:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Feb 2010 4:18AM GMT
Hi. My mom and her family back to the originally settlers are all buried at SouthPoint. A distant cousin and I are driving there this summer to try to find a genealogist or someone familiar with the history to help us with family stories. If you don't find someone between now and then, let me know and we'll try to help you. Kind regards, Donna Hanson (hanson22d@hotmail.com). Good luck.

Posted: 8 Feb 2010 11:59PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 14 Feb 2010 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: maddox, broadhurst
I thank you so kindly for your offer for help. You have been the first to post a willingness to help as you can see since 2003. Of all things, my husband and I moved from California to Missouri about a year later. LONG STORY!! I now live here and my husband, deceased. Before his passing we had the chance to go to Lewis Cemetery and also spoke with the Funeral home that holds the records for the cemetery. What we learned. The original owner of the cemetery sold it and when he did, kept ALL the records to himself instead of leaving them with the cemetery as he should have. Hence, the records are lost. Speaking at one time to a Genealogist I learned that if the death certificate states that is where the person is buried, so they are. The death cert. for James Daniel Maddox and his wife Virginia Sylvania Broadhurst Maddox both state they are buried at Lewis Cemetery. The other thing I learned is the stones they used in that time period and in this area was a lime stone. Over time, lime stone washes off clean and leaves no record of what was engraved on them. The stone is a soft stone. Also over time, sometimes the stones slowly fall over and the taker of the cemetery lets them and then they get coverd over through time and the stone and plot is lost. That would be the situation for the stones we were hunting for, if ever there was a stone in the first place. Anyhow, we know that they are in this very small cemetery, but we will never know where in it. My husband and I have been to South Point. It is quite large and hilly! Have good walking shoes and water with you on your journey through the cemetery. Again, thank you so much for your kind offer to help. God Bless.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions