Search for content in message boards

Dean Bishop (?-1864), Washington, CT USA Civil War soldier

Dean Bishop (?-1864), Washington, CT USA Civil War soldier

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 9:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bishop
I am seeking any information concerning Dean Bishop (?-1864)who enlisted for service in the USA Civil War on 8 Nov 1861 from Washington, CT (13th Infantry Regiment Connecticut Volunteers). The only Dean Bishop I have found in the Washington, CT area is a Dean Bishop (Age 7, Born CT)in the 1850 USA census in Roxbury, CT in the household of Marcus Bunnel. Unfortunately the Dean Bishop who enlisted for Civil War service from Washington, CT died on 27 Dec 1864 at a Confederate Prisoner of War camp in Salisbury, NC. I am researching this Dean Bishop for the Gunn Museum in Washington, CT.

Re: Dean Bishop (?-1864), Washington, CT USA Civil War soldier

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 3:21AM GMT
There is a Dean Bishop who married Polly J (surname unknown). She died in Salisbury in 1949. Dean is shown as 29 yrs. old in the 1850 census in Salisbury - alone. He married 2nd, Maria Lucas and in 1860 census he is in Sharon, CT with their children, Jane, age 2 and Maria, 10 months Also living with them is a Sheldon Bishop, age 48 who was born in New York (I'm assuming Sheldon is the older brother of Dean). After researching Sheldon, I found out Sheldon was born in Northeast, NY. There is a Dean Bishop (I'm assuming Sr.) in Bethlehem in the 1800 census then in Northeast NY in 1820, 1830 & 1840. This Dean could be the father of Sheldon & Dean (amongst others). Taking this information into account, it looks like Dean b. ca 1821 was born in either Northeast NY - or possibly CT since it seems the family traveled back and forth. Dean's second wife, maria applied for pension in 1866. It also shows she was guardian of M Pettit. It looks like Maria (mom) married Thomas Pettit of Bridgewater after Dean's death, and their daughter (Maria, age 10 months in the 1860 census) may have been adopted by Thomas Pettit.
Hope this helps you in continuing the search for the information you need.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:43AM GMT

Do you know of any further information on Polly J, and if they had children? I show her death was in 1849 on July 9. And had two children Myron G, and Edwin Dean Bishop, who both were in the civil war, for the Connecticut 5th E regiment. Trying to confirm I have a match to this Dean Bishop.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 10:58PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 10:59PM GMT
I don't know much about Polly. other than she is supposed to be buried in the Mt. Riga cemetery in Salisbury. I looked for the grave a month or so ago and couldn't find it. Dean Bishop Jr. and Sheldon and Nelson Bishop were all sons of Dean and Esther Bishop. Dean and Esther are buried in the Spencers Corners Cemetery in millerton NY. I couldn't fid their graves either. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Bi...; I did find Angeline Bishop's grave. She was Sheldon's wife. I believe they were divorced. Don't know where Sheldon is buried. I just started working on the Bishop line. As I learn more I will share what I find.

Posted: 26 May 2013 11:17PM GMT
I have Bishops in my line. I also have Polly Bishop who married a Thorpe. I also have Sheldon G, who shows as a brother to William W and I believe that particular William is my ggf. Do you think we could compare some 'notes'? I know William's 2nd wife was a Thorpe, then his 3rd was her cousin. I have Bishops, Thorpe and Winters marrying back and forth going from NY to CT and back. I just can't connect all the Bishops definately. I also know William was in the civil war and spoke of that prison. He was born in 1844. So far, I haven't been able to find him with parents. I'm not sure but you may have the other half of this.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions