Search for content in message boards

newspaper microfilms - old days

newspaper microfilms - old days

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 11:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am interested in early Lake County newspapers as a source for family information that has not been available in other standard sources. My family members lived in Deerfield twp, Libertyville and then Waukegan. They were Irish Catholics. Years of interest - 1830s to 1885

Would like to hear from local residents, your advice for reading microfilms - Waukegan public library? Waukegan genealogy society? Lake County genalogy society? or Newbery in Chicago? Chicago public library?

I have people who died before the years deaths began to be officially recorded in Lake County;(and we were told the church book was "lost in basement") I have a couple 1856 Lake Co. naturalizations indexed on ancestry as Lake Co. dist. court but the records for these that now exist only start in 1864; I have known deaths for which no tombstone and no cem. record (one in 1857 and another in approx 1885) ... and so forth. I cannot think of any other source than newspapers so I hope to hear anyone's advice on what and where to read. I don't know anything about the early county newspapers, whether they had any personal news items at all, or if anyone has indexed vital statistics from them? Would be glad to hear comments from any who have worked with newspaper sources for Lake County. I thought at least if I was reading papers I would learn something of the place and times in which they lived.

Re: newspaper microfilms - old days

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:34PM GMT
The Waukegan Library has the Waukegan News Sun newspapers that go from about 1890 to present that covered Waukegan and the surrounding area.

The Cook Memorial Library in Libertyville actually has all the old Lake County newspapers (you can email them for look ups) that cover the whole county. The Lake County Independent and the Lake County Register were the newspapers at that time.

Also, the Lake County Historical Society located in Vernon Hills has a lot of clippings from the newspapers going back to about 1950 to the present. Chicago and Newberry has a lot of Chicago land newspapers but mainly for the Chicago area and Cook County papers. Highland Park and Deerfield should have some copies of their old newspapers as well.

But I would start with Cook Memorial and check out their website as they do have some information indexed there. I have found a lot of articles and obits for people at that library.

Good luck!
Kathy
Posted: 24 Sep 2012 3:17PM GMT
This is so helpful. I really was interested in the oldest papers so this is good to know where they are (Libertyville). Thank you! I will be in Chicago for other reasons but hope to get up north in my free time, for family history research.

I have been reading about both the Waukegan gen. soc. and Lake Co. gen. soc. and wish I could hear anyone's descriptions about the collections - what do you like best about both? I have seen their lists of materials. It all sounds great and am really looking forward to being up there.

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 3:00AM GMT
the lake county Historical society in Libertyville has mirco film rolls of the Waukegan news papers from the the early 1850's. They also have a binder of index of names of obits and marriages of those films.

They also have an obit index with the obit in the file. It saves alot of time from searching the miro film rolls.

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 12:34PM GMT
Don't forget to check in the History of Lake County books. If you ancestors have been in Lake county since the early 1800's it is possible they may be listed in there too.

The Lake County Genealogically Society in Vernon Hills (and like the one in Libertyville) does have some very old documents including probates and wills and some birth certificates as well as newspapers on Microfilm and in library card index drawers. Worth a trip to one or both locations.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~illcgs/

Good luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions