Search for content in message boards

CHRISTOPHER JAMES O'RORKE/O'ROURKE, DUBLIN

CHRISTOPHER JAMES O'RORKE/O'ROURKE, DUBLIN

Colette O'Rorke (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2004 5:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Rorke/O'Rourke/Carty/Timmons, Dublin, Ireland
Hello all!
The above named Christopher is my grandfather (paternal). For the past 20 or so years I've been trying to trace his date of birth and details of his parents, but to no great avail. What I do have is the following:
- 27 June 1902 at Westland Row Church, Dublin, married Julia Carty whose parents were Michael/John? & Kate of Clonmessan (?), Co. Meath. They had two children - Michael born March 1903 and Bridget born 1905. Julia died September 1907
- 24 May 1909 at the Pro Cathedral, Marlborough Street, Dublin married Elizabeth Timmins of Britain Place (father Michael) Both were "full age". Had children Christopher (Kit) born December 1910, Tommy born November 1911, Dermot born October 1913, John (MY FATHER!) born May 1919, Mary (May) born 1924, and Rosie born 1925?
- April 1, 1911 - CENSUS record found. Christopher's age then was listed as 39, meaning he was born c.1872
- 10 january 1935 - Christopher died. Age on cert. is 72, meaning he was born c.1863! So which is correct???

Christopher was a carpenter/joiner, as was his father Michael. His mother's name was Bridget.

I'm trying to find a DOB for Christopher, a marriage cert. for his parents so that I can get his mother's maiden name, or to find any relatives of Christopher's as my uncle Dermot, who is still alive, doesn't remember ever meeting an aunt or uncle or cousin!

Any help or leads much appreciated!!

Re: CHRISTOPHER JAMES O'RORKE/O'ROURKE, DUBLIN

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 6:07PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 4 Feb 2013 12:55AM GMT

Colette O'Rorke (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2005 4:59AM GMT
Hi Deborah

Sorry, but I can't help you with your JAMES ROURKE - at least, not at the moment 'cause I've only managed to get back as far as c.1865 with my Christopher (grandfather). Do you know where in Ireland your JAMES was born? You probably know by now that the worst place in Ireland to be born is Dublin - in almost anywhere else in the country there is a much better chance of finding at least a Parish record. By the way, was he RC or of some other religious persuasion? I am constantly on the lookout here in Dublin at the various institutions for O'Rourkes/O'Rorkes/Rourkes, etc. and if I ever come across information which might be of relevant to you, I will certainly let you know. In the meantime, if I can help you further, let me know!
Good luck.
Regards, Colette (O'Rorke)

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 2:59PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 4 Feb 2013 12:53AM GMT

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: TIMMINS/KEALEY
Hi Colette: It's Carol Kealey/Timmins Husted tracking you down on the message boards. If you allow, I'd like to send the info you posted to our cousin Marge Kealey in California who has been doing geneaology for 20 + years. She's very good at it and goes often to Salt Lake City to do research and.or to speak at conferences. Let me know. Your names are so interesting. Hope to hear from you. Carol

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 11:14PM GMT
The 1911 Dublin census is online and shows Christopher and his family as you mention on Britain Place:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Moun...

There's an entry in the Ireland civil registration birth records index for Christopher Rourke in 1872 in the Dublin South Registration District. You can request the civil birth cert from the Ireland General Register Office http://www.groireland.ie and click on "apply for cert".

Once you get his civil birth cert it will include his specific birthplace in Dublin South as well as his parents names including his mother's maiden name. You can then search for their civil marriage record when you have that detail.

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 11:16PM GMT
Christopher didn't give his age on his death record, someone else did and they may not have known how old he was. He did give his age on the census record so you would generally use the age or age range given by the person himself.

Posted: 15 Oct 2009 8:53AM GMT
Most of the Church of Ireland parish records that survive were transferred to the Church Archives which is now in Churchtown, Dublin 14. You can contact the Archives about whether St. George's records survive and if so how they might be accessed, here's the link to information about the Library with contact information:

http://www.ireland.anglican.org/index.php?do=information&...

St. George's closed in 1990 and was combined with St. Thomas Church which had to be rebuilt following a fire in 1922 during the Irish War of Independence. The parish now is the combined St. Thomas/St. George's Parish. The Rector is also chaplain of the Temple and Mater Hospitals as well as Mountjoy Prison so as you can imagine responding to genealogy pursuits would have a much lesser priority than her religious duties.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions