Search for content in message boards

Dempsey Carroll of Wilcox Co, AL, 1830

Dempsey Carroll of Wilcox Co, AL, 1830

Posted: 9 Nov 2002 2:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking information on Dempsey Carroll who appears in the census of 1830 and other records in Wilcox Co, AL. Did he have a daughter, Frances, who married William Jackson Johnson in 1824 in Wilcox Co?

Re: Dempsey Carroll of Wilcox Co, AL, 1830

Posted: 9 Nov 2002 3:37AM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2004 3:12AM GMT
Surnames: Carrell/Carrel/Carroll/Carrol/Karrel
I am also interested in this Dempsey Carroll, but I know very little about him. I am interested in him, because he stated in his application for Revolutionary War pension that he had served in the Rev. from Duplin County, NC. I have formed a hypothesis that he may be a brother to my Alexander Carrell and a son of Dempsey Carrell, Sr. of Duplin County. The part of Duplin where they lived became Sampson County, NC in 1784. If you learn that you are a direct descendant of this Dempsey, I will be glad to send you a couple of documents (a deed and a land grant) that I have on him. I know nothing of his wife or children.

I have noticed an Alexander Carroll later in that area and wondered it he might be Dempsey's son. If so, that would give even more evidence Dempsey might be my Alexander's brother. Since I'm pretty sure the father of this Dempsey is Dempsey, Sr. back in Sampson County, NC, if I could prove he was Alexander's brother, then I would have a father for my Alexander.

Let's stay in touch on this until we prove or disprove the relationship to Dempsey (Demcy/Demy/Demsy) of Duplin/Sampson Co.,NC.

Lura

Posted: 11 Nov 2002 6:16AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2003 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
I am also interested in Dempsey Carroll of Sampson Co.., NC.
Does your deed have any specifics of where the land was located in Sampson or names of neighbors?

Posted: 11 Nov 2002 5:28PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2004 3:12AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
Alexander Carrell bought and sold several tracts of land west of Six Runs Creek in Sampson County, NC, near Rowan/Roan Swamp and Crane/Crain Creek (southeast of present day Clinton, southwest of Turkey, NC). He bought one tract from Dempsey Carrell, Sr. in 1793 and sold one tract to Dempsey Carrell, Jr in 1801. The tract he sold to Dempsey, Jr. is one for which I failed to get the second page when I went to the NC archives. The part of the description I have states the land is on both sides of Crain Creek and joins James Carrell and Spring Branch.

Neighbors of one Demcy Carrol (Sr. or Jr.?), from the 1790 census of Sampson County, NC:
Unknown Township Roll: M637_7
Typed from the image of the page on Ancestry.com

Thomas Gauff
Demcy Carrol
Alexander Oquin
Stephen Carrol
Patrick Kennedy
Alexander Williams
William Jackson
Benjamin Register
Jacob Crumpler
Philip Tew
James Webb
Seth Starling
John Fields
William Kean
Nathan Runnals?
John M. Less?
Jeremiah Tew
Alexander Carrol
Coor Cooper
Daniel Coor
Nathan Jones
Charles Butler
Nicholas Emmanuel
Jesse Carrol
Jacob Goodman
Laban Tatum

There was another "Demey" Carrol and several others listed on other pages.

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 5:08PM GMT
Hi...Dempsey Carroll Sr. died in 1776....His son, Daniel, died before him. His son, Dempsey Jr. died in Kentucky...He was married to Mary Hall

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 10:12PM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2005 10:50PM GMT
Surnames: carroll
who was Dempsey Carroll parents. do you have any carroll's from virginia.

Re: Dempsey Carroll of Wilcox Co, AL

Lura (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2005 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: Caeerll Carroll
Wilma,

I think this thread has been discussing several different Dempsey Carrells.

My Dempsey Carrell, Jr. b. December 22, 1762 fought in the Rev. War from Duplin County, NC and applied for his pension in AL on January 29, 1833. He was in the 1790 census in Sampson Co, NC and lived there until around 1800-1805 and then was in SC before going eventually to Wilcox Co, AL. I believe his father was Dempsey Carrell, Sr. who lived in Duplin County, NC.

I don't know the father of Dempsey Carrell, Sr. I believe he was living in Halifax County, NC in 1752. He was first mentioned in Duplin/Sampson Co, NC in 1769 and was declared to be an "aged and infirm man" and therefore exempted from paying tax in 1789. However, he was still alive in 1793. I estimate his death to be between 1793 and 1800.

I would like to learn the father of Dempsey Carrell, Sr. I am especially interested in knowing if he might be a cousin of Demse James Carrell of VA. I would also like to consider if he might be related to the Carrolls who settled in the 1600's in Isle of Wight County, VA.

Lura

Re: Dempsey Carroll of Wilcox Co, AL

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:02PM GMT
Was there a will for Dempsey Carroll born 1762 who died 1841 Wilcox Co. AL? I am trying to determine whether he was the father of Elias Carroll who bought land from Wiley and Sarah Meeks in 1832 in Wilcox Co. AL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions