Search for content in message boards

Toledo Cemetery

Toledo Cemetery

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Could someone give me the location of Toledo Cemetery. I know it is in Cobden but where in Cobden? I believe that some of my Burton ancestors are buried there. I will be going to Union Co. next month. Thanks for any help!

Re: Toledo Cemetery

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: Burton, Billingsly, Colboth
In the Union Co., IL cemetery book, Vol 2 on page 2o6
there is a listing of the Toledo Christan Church Cemetery
the directions say.... Section 18, Township 11 South, Range 1 west

In another book I find the map of Union Co., IL, It shows the town of Toledo just a few miles north of Cobden between a railroad and a river.....

It gives George W. Burton Sr. Co.K, 9th Ill infantry, military marker
Also, G. W. Burton, Co.K, 9th Ill Inf. infantry marker

There are other Burtons buried in Union Co., IL

One of my ancestors, John Colbroth [Colboth] married a Mrs. Martha Burton..... in 1844, Johnson Co., IL her maiden name was Billingsly.... do you know of any connection?
Louise Erekson

Posted: 16 Jun 2007 12:00AM GMT
I am a descendant of the George W. Burtons mentioned the replies. They were father and son and served in the Union army at the same time. They were both wounded on the same day. If you have a digital camera and locate the markers, would use please email me a picture.

Thank You,
Dave Oliver droliver@pacbell.net

Posted: 16 Jun 2007 12:34AM GMT
Thank you Louise for the info and the reply! The George W. Burton Sr. is my GGG grandfather. He was born in NJ, married and had his children in Indiana and moved to Illinois sometime after 1844. He had 7 brothers I believe and it could be that your Mary Burton Colboth was married to one of them?? Their names were:
Thomas
Henry
Mallory
David
William
Hiram
John
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Bobbie DeBlois

Re: Toledo Cemetery Location

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 1:52AM GMT
From Cobden, take old 51 north toward Carbondale, to Toldedo Cemetery Road, turn right at Toledo Cemetery Rd and cemetery will be on your right.

google maps will find it for you if you type in
Toledo Cemetery Road Cobden, IL

Re: Toledo Cemetery Location

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 2:28AM GMT
Thank you so much for your reply and information, it is very kind of you!!
Bobbie DeBlois

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 9:34PM GMT
The distance north of Cobden is right at three miles, on the right (on east edge of the highway).

George Jr.'s marker is from the 9th reg, co. K. He was the third husband of Mary "Polly" Ferrill, m. on Jan 8 1863, he d. July 30, 1897, and she d. June 23, 1898. There is a military marker for him, but no marker for her so we are just assuming she is buried near him. Polly had five children, and it appears that four of them were George Jr.'s

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 10:31PM GMT
Thank you for your help!! I am coming from California and would like to find as much as I can while I am there. Getting directions to these old cemeteries has been very difficult to say the least. Would you know where Caroline McCoy Burton Wright is buried? I have been unable to find any information on her death or burial. Thanks again for your reply!!
Bobbie

Posted: 19 Jun 2007 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: Frizzell, Smith
Hi Bonnie,

I don't know how big Toledo Cemetery is, but if it's not too large and you just happen to see a stone for Nellie Smith, who was buried there in 1893, I would *hugely* appreciate confirmation that she's there (along with any other Frizzells and Smiths). Photos would be even better ;). I haven't had much luck with my Union County research other than records from SIU Carbondale and I would be much indebted to you if you'll already be at the cemetery.

Good luck on your research trip!

Posted: 19 Jun 2007 2:29AM GMT
I will be on the look out for your Smith and Frizzell ancestors and will take photos of any maker I may find. I will contact you when I return. You might want to send me your direct Email address.

Bobbie
bobbiedeblois@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic