Search for content in message boards

Clarkes from Armagh, Ireland

Clarkes from Armagh, Ireland

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 2:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am the great-great grandaughter of George Clarke and Elizabeth McGriffin (or McGiffim...can't make out letters). They had 4 children: Sarah, Viola, George and Thomas. I believe the only child who came to the states (New York) was my great-grandfather Thomas William Clarke (1887-1978). He married Mary Jane Kelly and they had 3 children: Thomas, Rose and John (my grandfather). If you think you are a link please email at sswb95@aol.com
Sincerly
Stacey Searles

Re: Clarkes from Armagh, Ireland

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: Clarke, Searles
Hi Stacey,

I am the great granddaughter of George and Elizabeth Clarke from Bessbrook in Co. Armagh. I remember your great grandfather Thomas very well. He was the brother of my grandmother, Sarah. Please get in touch. I think I can give you any information you want on the Clarke family. My mother is still alive, 86 years old, she met your great grandfather twice when he visited home. I met him once when he came to stay with us in Belfast. This message could go on to fill a book!! If you want to contact me direct my email is annewallace7@hotmail.com

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 12:13AM GMT
Ah ! that is the nicest contact made that I have seen...
P. in Canada.

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 2:19AM GMT
Since leaving this message my email has changed. My contact email is smsearles@yahoo.com

Posted: 7 Sep 2009 6:16PM GMT
Good Afternoon:

My name is Allen Clark, I line in Gananoque, Ontario, Canada.

My Clark ancstors came to Canada from Co. Armagh, through the United States in 1833.

John and Mry, along with 3 or 4 chikdren, My g.g grandfather William E. Clark being one of them.

Mary was pregnant and she had twin sons born a sea.... One lived, and one died.

The living son was named Daniel Marron Clarke.

Now, I don't kow when they left Ireland, and I do not know when they landed in the United Sates, but I do know that Daniel Marron Clarke was born on April 19, 1833 at sea.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

I also have 3 questions for the group.

What is the distance between Bessbrook and Newtownhamilton?
What is the distance between Bessbrook and Altnaveigh/And What parish is Bessbrook in?

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: Clarke
Hi, None of that information rings a bell with me re the Clarkes that I know of, ie my ggrandparents.

Newtownhamilton is about 7 miles from Bessbrook
Altnaveigh is only 2 miles or so from Bessbrook, I always considered it as part of the immediate area. I will check this with my mum who knows the area well and get back to you if I was wrong with my mileage.

If I can be of any more help please let me know.

Kind regards, Anne Wallace

Posted: 10 Sep 2009 9:21PM GMT
Good afternon.

I have been told tat ther is a cemetery in Newtonhamilton called Clarksbridge Presbyterian Church, wih lots of Clarke Stones .... Does any one on he list know anything about it

Allen

Posted: 7 Dec 2009 8:13PM GMT
Good afternoon:

My name is Allen Clark, and my Clarke Ancestors cae from the Bessbrook, Newtownhamilton ,Newy area of County Armagh.

The only thing is they left County Armagh in 1833.

I believe John Clarke and his wife Mary (Killroy) brought 4 or 5 children with them. One of the children was was called William E. Clarke, my G.G.Grandfather. William E. Clarke was born July 12, 1830

Mary was pregnant and had a twin boys born at sea on April 19, 1833. One child lived and one child died. The livung son was called Daniel Marron Clake.

The ship could not dock in Canada bcause of a Colera epidemic in Quebec Ciy, so he captain took he ship to the USA.. I still think they landed in New York, but I can't find any records.

Now I know this is a long shot but I can use all the help you can give me.

Posted: 8 Dec 2009 1:12AM GMT
Hi,

I am related to the Clarkes from Bessbrook, Co. Armagh. There were a few Clarke families in the area but I have not traced mine back as far as you have. The records I have are for George Clarke and Elizabeth McGiffin, but recently I have come across a copy of an early census and George (my ggrandfather) seems to have had his father live with him and his family. I will have to look up my records to see what his name was and I will get back to you. My mother is a Clarke to her maiden name. She will be 87 in February but she is very sharp and remembers loads about Bessbrook and I have heard her mention Clarke cousins who lived in College Square, Bessbrook. I would say that your relation and my ggrandfather were probably related but what that relationship would have been I think would be pretty hard to find out. Some of these days I am going to go to our local Public Records office in Belfast because I have a lot I would like to look up. It is in Balmoral Avenue, Belfast if you would like to get in touch with them, they may be able to help. In the meantime if I find anything out I will let you know. If you want to contact me my email address is annewallace7@hotmail.com.

Kind regards, Anne

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 9:05AM GMT
some Clarkebridge baptisms, sorry bits of pages missing. more will follow
May 5th
Wilson Clarke had a son named ---- baptised
August 3rd
---- Clarke had a dau. baptised Agnes
27 July
David Clark had a son bapt. David
23 April
Andrew Clarke dau. bapt. Margaret
31 december
David Clark had a son bapt. David
---- Clarke had his 1st child bapt. Samuel

23 November
David Clarke 5th child son baptised James
December
----- Clarke 1st child & 1st dau. bapt. Mary

3rd August
Alex. Clark had 1st child bapt Mary Jean

12 July
---- Clarke 2nd daughter & 2nd chil Eliza Jean

Andrew? Clarke twin children William and Sam?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions