Search for content in message boards

Stephen Matovich

Stephen Matovich

Posted: 10 May 2012 12:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Matovich
This is not my family but I am making inquiries for an acquaintance. I have a U.S. Naturalization Record for Stephen Matovich (b. 2 Feb 1891 Hungary) and his wife Mary (b. 11 Mar 1900 Hungary). They arrived at the Port of New York on 3 Sep 1922. I cannot find them through the Ellis Island Immigration site and I assume it is because the spelling of their names changed. I found out that Stephen was actually spelled Istvan in Hungarian and the last name could have been spelled Matijasevic, however I still cannot find the couple. Any suggestions please? Thanks!

Re: Stephen Matovich

Posted: 10 May 2012 2:17PM GMT
The Ellis Island site mostly just has the passage records. It's a myth that they changed people's names.

I'd check out the 1930 US Census for them. Plus Hungarian Census records for before they left.

Good luck!
Cyndi

Posted: 10 May 2012 4:54PM GMT
MBlocker5857

MATOVIC^ and MATIJAS'EVIC' are Slavic surnames with only MATOVIC^ showing up in Slovakia's phone book.

Stephen's naturalization intent and petition should have name of a ship, date of departure, port of departure as well as his place of birth.

did you try one step/ gold form www.stevemorse.org

Posted: 11 May 2012 10:33AM GMT
Thanks! I found him in the US 1930 census but not his wife or family. I am waiting for the 1940 to be indexed and hopefully I will find the family together. I have the international access version to ancestry.com but nothing for Hungary seems to be available.

Posted: 11 May 2012 10:46AM GMT
Thanks! Both very good suggestions. I have tried searching for both since I received your suggestions but so far no luck.

Posted: 11 May 2012 11:53AM GMT
You're welcome.
His naturalization intent and petition provide a name of a ship and still not finding him arriving NY EI using one step? What signature is on his naturalization? Did he as for a name change?
The location :Debroekoez [Döbrököz] Tolna, Hungary is what he had the clerk put down?

Posted: 11 May 2012 2:18PM GMT
jewishgen.org has several Hungarian censuses for Jews only. If your family isn't Jewish, I'm not sure where to find the censuses but they're out there (there are some Hungarian sites for sure).

Also check familysearch.org. They have a bunch of digitized indexed records that Ancestry does not. They also have many records that are digitized but not indexed (you'll need to know the town) and then a ton of records you can order on microfilm to view in a local family research center (for about $6/roll).

My family is from various parts of Slovakia (mostly Trencin), and then from Budapest. But they're all Jewish, so the records are often separate.

Cyndi

Posted: 12 May 2012 10:54AM GMT
Thank You! I have no idea if the family was Jewish. I found a record for a Stefen Matovic (that is how he signed his name) in New York but there is only a # and a signature, no date, etc. I searched the Ellis Island site wih this name (and various versions) but no hits!
-?U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes [?Naturalization Intent and Petition]: Name: Stefan Matovich [Matovic] [#287884]State: New York Locality, Court: Southern District of New York, District and Circuit Court Note from the author: There is no date, perhaps Stephan filed his Naturalization Intent and Petition from Ellis Island before the couple continued on to Indiana. Thanks again!

Posted: 12 May 2012 11:07AM GMT
Thank you! I did not find the type of record that you described. I found a record for a Stefen Matovic (that is how he signed his name) U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes [?Naturalization Intent and Petition]: Name: Stefan Matovich [Matovic] [#287884/no date/no additional information] State: New York Locality, Court: Southern District of New York, District and Circuit Court in New York. I searched the Ellis Island site wih this name (and various versions) but no hits. There is no signature on the final naturalization form. The 1942 U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards: Stephen Matovich Birth Date: 2 Feb 1891 Birth Place: Debroekoez, Tolna, Hungary Residence: Lake, Indiana. I added the [Döbrököz] after I looked it up.

Posted: 12 May 2012 12:03PM GMT
You're welcome.
http://www.archives.gov/research/naturalization/index.html

Since you have a location than check in LDS-Mormons {Family History Center} site for church records. You should be able to find him there.
Anyone in the family has his naturalization certificate? Unfortunately, no place of birth only country but at least would tell you which courthouse is the petition filed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions