Search for content in message boards

Applying for an Irish marriage certificate before 1920

Applying for an Irish marriage certificate before 1920

Posted: 17 Oct 2010 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking to apply for my great-grandparents marriage certificate. They married in County Clare in 1911. I have found the record on the Civil Registration Indexes on FamilySearch.org so I have the volume and page number. The marriage was registered in Ennistimon.

Every website I get to for ordering certificates (I am not in Ireland) says that marriage certificate can only be ordered for marriages before 1920 as that was when civil registration began. I however have the details, does anyone know where I can order this or some contact details for someone who may be able to help.

Many thanks,

Niall McMahon

Re: Applying for an Irish marriage certificate before 1920

Posted: 18 Oct 2010 8:52AM GMT
I just got one from Emeraldancestors.com, you have to join, but you can see if they have the record listed first, if so joining was on 6 pounds, the copy of the certificate was more, but worth it I got is in less than a week. If was not the original though, only a transcribed copy in the registery form. But it suited what I needed.

Posted: 18 Oct 2010 9:13AM GMT
I think that site is only for Northern Irish records. I am looking for somewhere to order certificates for the Republic of Ireland. Thanks anyway.

Posted: 18 Oct 2010 9:55AM GMT
I think you can order marriage certs right back to 1845 from GRO Roscommon.

www.groireland.ie/

Ask for a research copy (a photocopy) as this is much cheaper than a full cert. If you give them all the info they need it should cost €4. Don't worry about leaving boxes blank on the order form if you don't know what to put in, they are fairly flexible and will help you a bit.

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 6:37PM GMT
Hi Niall,

I stumbled across this thread after trying to order a pre 1920 certificate myself. Did you have any success with the GRO in Ireland in the end? I'd appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

Jenny

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 8:00PM GMT
Hi Jenny

You can download the form from here http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

fill in SECTION 1 - Tick the Email option if you want the cert emailed to you
Leave SECTION 2 blank
Fill in SECTION 3 - Tick the photocopy box for the €4 research option (same info a cert, but it's an image of the actual register)
Put the info from Familysearch onto another sheet, making sure you give the Volume and Page number..

Post it all off or scan it back into the computer and fax it to them on this number 90 6632999

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 10:45AM GMT
The site for the General Registration Office in Roscommon mentioned above as gro..... will certainly have it. I have ordered many certs from them prior to 1920.

Definitely ask for the photocopy, unless you need a certified one.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 12:53PM GMT
Thanks guys.

I filled in the form and received a photocopy by email. Didn't really help so much in the end, but now I know it works, i think I'll be ordering a few more!

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 2:26PM GMT
just to note that the website for downloading the GRO order forms has changed, and it's now on part of the HSE (Heatlh Service Executive/Department of Social Protection) website :

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

Posted: 9 Mar 2014 3:34PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 9 Mar 2014 4:22PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions