Search for content in message boards

Blood test reference on Connecticut birth certificate

Blood test reference on Connecticut birth certificate

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 9:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jul 2012 1:02AM GMT
On my Connecticut birth certificate, under the heading for "Father" it asks "Was blood test made?" - the answer is "Yes" and then the date of the blood test is 4-5 months before I was actually born.

What does this blood test refer to?

Re: Blood test reference on Connecticut birth certificate

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 3:01PM GMT
Were your parents married at the time of your birth? Every state handles it differently. My husband and I weren't married yet when our daughter was born in California in 2005 but fortunately we didn't have to do anything special for the birth certificate as we were both present when the clerk at the hospital took the information. I believe there may have been one extra form to sign though.

In your case, the blood test may have been blood type for determining parentage or it could have been for determining RH status (if mom has negative blood (O- or A- for example) and the baby has positive blood (B+ or AB+ for example) then there are medical consequences. If mom and dad are both negative then the baby will be too and there are no medical consequences to that.

I'd look on the Conn vital records website and, if you can't get any answers from there, call up the state or city/county clerk's office and ask. Post the answer here (I'm curious to see what it means).

Cyndi

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 4:07PM GMT
Cyndi,

I should have Remembered to post my own follow-up. Based on my research it was common at the time that fathers we're tested for syphilis

For the record Yes, they had been married for like 20 years (I was an "oops" baby lol) and he was syphilis free lol

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 4:21PM GMT
Ahhh...

Thanks for the update. I love historical tidbits like that.

Cyndi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic