Search for content in message boards

Boswell MD >> NC

Boswell MD >> NC

Posted: 23 Jan 2001 8:04AM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2004 11:09PM GMT
Can anyone tell me whether the North Carolina Boswells of Currituck, Pasquotank, and vicinity originally came from Maryland?

Verbal tradition suggests that Caty Gambrel married a Boswell. I suspect this happened in Hamilton County Ohio sometime around 1820, but have found no evidence. I have found Boswells in Hamilton County that were from Maryland, and other Boswells in nearby counties of Indiana that were from the northeast corner of North Carolina. Verbal tradition also places the Gambrel family in North Carolina around 1789. There are a few hints of Gambrels (var sp) in that part of NC a little later. There are also a ton of Gambrills in Maryland.

I am wondering if branches of both families may have originated in Maryland, migrated to North Carolina, and then eventually to the Miami Valley of Ohio and Indiana? Can any one confirm this?

Re: Boswell MD >> NC

Edward Boswell (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2003 4:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been researching the Boswell family for more than 10 years. I am relatively certain that the first Boswell's in the colonies arrived in Virginia about 1630 and perhaps several years earlier. I have records of a ships captain named Edward Boswell who was bringing settlers to the Virginia colony in the 1620's.

It is my belief that there are three lines of the family who first appear in the Virginia colony. Although I have not yet been able to prove the connection I believe they are all related back to Francis Boswell of Scotland (circa 1590).

My own family ancestors were some of the first settlers of the North Carolina colony. I know that members of the family migrated from the Virginia colony to the later established Maryland colony as well as the North and South Carolina colonies.

These early Boswell's were very prolific and reasonably long lived. This resulted in a need to find new land and farms if the sons were going to have any chance of building their own futures. It appears that they were willing and able to accept the challenges of the frontier and often moved with other family members, or moved to areas where other members of the family were already established. Friends and family working together. Or perhaps the fact that Scot's and Boswell's tend to be hard-headed and often ill tempered they just couldn't stand too many realatives in one place. In any event they moved alot.

I believe that this explains the similarity of names from generation to generation. My own research indicates that the Maryland group moved west through West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. The Virginia Boswell's moved west through WV, TN, AR,TX . The North Carolina Boswell's moved west and south into SC,GA, AL, MS, LA, and TX. Of course this is only an outline. I am sure that there was plenty of shufling around that only adds to the mix.

My mission is to find the connections between the three groups that I have identified. Once I fill in the last few remaining bits I will try to compile a more complete picture of the family from the 20th century back to their arrival in the colonies.

There are Boswell's who came from the old world to the new via the northern colonies. I know very little of these Boswell's but I suspect they are related as well. These Boswell's also moved west but they arrived in America quite a bit later and I will let other family reasearchers tackle them.

Bottom line your Gambrel ancestor may have married a Boswell but trying to untangle where the Boswell ancestor came from is going to be very difficult without some specific names and dates. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Edward Wilson Boswell Jr.

Posted: 8 Jan 2003 3:38PM GMT
I read your post with interest since I have had little success in finding any info on my great grandmother Mary Elizabeth Boswell Hammond. She had a sister named Sarah who, I believe was a spinster. Both were from the Chestnut Hill area of Penn. I have been told that my great grandmother left my grandfather the family Boswell estate/castle in Scotland to him but he gave it up due to the taxes. Any information you may have acquired would be greatly appreciated.

Candice Underwood (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2003 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: Boswell - AL, NC
I am having trouble locating our Thomas Boswell on an 1860 or 1850 census in Alabama and earlier in North Carolina. I do not know his birth year. His widow, Mary (Cook) is on the 1870 and 1880 census of Crenshaw County, AL. She was born abt 1817 in NC. Their children were born in Alabama as early as 1848. Their names are: Nancy, James, John Wigg (my ancestor), Josephine, and Martha M.
Do you have any information on this line?

Posted: 12 Feb 2003 1:46AM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2004 11:09PM GMT
Deeper searches of this forum reveal other queries from years ago suggesting that Catherine Gambriel married John Boswell ca 1797. They had a son William b. 1808 in Rowan County NC.

Catherine, if she is the same, had 4 brothers born in Virginia between 1779 and 1795. That does not necessarily mean that the family stayed in Virginia the entire time. I have seen evidence of a Gustavus Boswell from Charles County MD, who migrated to Cullpeper Virginia, then to SC, then back to MD, then to Rowan Co NC and eventually to GA. Unfortunately he does not seem to be a close relative of John Boswell who m. Catherine Gambriel.

It could be possible that the Gambriels may have had a similar pattern, but instead of going on to Georgia, they turned back north to Wood County VA and eventually to Hamilton County OH.

Posted: 26 Nov 2006 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Boswell/ Winn - NC
Correction - I now know that the parents of our John Wigg Boswell of Alabama were given to me incorrectly. His parents were NOT a Thomas Boswell and a Mary Cook, but instead a William J. (Jefferson?) Boswell born between 1812/ 1820 in North Carolina and Mary Jane Win (Winn) born between 1816/ 1820 in North Carolina.

Posted: 3 May 2010 6:16PM GMT
Surnames: Boswell, Tippet, Foster, Rogers
Hi my Name is Michelle and I am attempting to resurch my father's family for him. My father spoke of a cousin named Ed Boswell but I beleive that is was a couson to my Great Granddather Howard F. Boswell of Zebulon. Any relation? My grandparents moved to NJ when my dad was about 7 so I don't know any of the family. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Michelle

Posted: 4 May 2010 4:16PM GMT
Would your grandfather be either Earl or Eric? I have looked up the lineage of Howard F. Boswell, and if this sounds right to you I can possibly be of help.
Howard Boswell

Posted: 4 May 2010 6:06PM GMT
My grandfather was Earl. His brother was Eric and there was at least 1 sister named Eileen. Any information you have would be a great help. Thank you, Michelle

Posted: 5 May 2010 3:49PM GMT
Michelle:

If I had your full e-mail address, I would sent it directly, as there is quite a bit.

Howard Boswell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions