Search for content in message boards

Thomas POLLITT b 1640 Exeter, England d 1708 Somerset Co., Maryland

Thomas POLLITT b 1640 Exeter, England d 1708 Somerset Co., Maryland

Posted: 5 Sep 2000 8:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Aug 2012 9:55AM GMT
Surnames: Pollitt, Pollett, Polk
I am a descendant of Thomas who was born 1640 Exeter, England and died 12/1/1708 in Somerset County Maryland. He married Martha (Margarett) Polk 12/27/1867 she was born 1632 and died 1711.He came on a ship called The Promise, his bro. John was a 1st mate on ship, set Thomas up in a trading post on Chesapeake Bay. Are you a descendant of this line of Pollitts?

re: Thomas POLLITT b 1640 Exeter, England d 1708 Somerset Co., Maryland

Bryan W. Lane (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2000 4:33AM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2012 9:56AM GMT
Surnames: Pollitt
Hello Thomas,

Yes, I am a descendant of this line ... Thomas Pollitt b. 1640 is my 8th great-grandfather. Thomas is an easy nut to crack, yet at the same time there are inconsistencies that have transposed over time along with other unanswered questions! For example, where did you get Exeter England ... I have not found definitive proof of that? ... I have seen that the ship Promise left from there, but that does not mean HE was from there. Another example is his wife: It is believed she was a Polk ... and his will states Margaret, not Martha. It is thought that there may be a Martha and a Margarett Polk ... but no definitive findings there yet, either. Also, the dates you have for Margaret(Martha) birth and death are inconsistent with marriage and children ... if b. 1632 she would be about 55 when married ... not impossible for children but certainly improbable ... so far, the true b. date is unknown and the death d. of 1711, if I remember correctly actually belongs to Richard Tull, 2nd husband of Margaret. Oh, you can see his will transcribed at my website:
http://www.gate.net/~bwl/ I need to make updates to my site, so contact me direcly for more info in the interim.
Finally, another main point example is: Thomas supposedly arrived in MD around 1668; he didn't marry until 1687 and that is the first, so far, that we see of him in MD records, so where was he for about 19 years before he married.

Well, this turned out lengthy, but I state again, Yes, I am a descendant of this line of Pollitts.

Bryan

P.S. Gee, you name sounds familiar, somehow? ;0) later!

Posted: 8 Sep 2000 8:26PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2012 9:56AM GMT
my cousin Charles )Pollitt( Smith gave me the info onThos. Pollitt. He said he has been in contact with you regarding Pollitt history. Thanks for the added information.

Posted: 11 Sep 2000 7:01AM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2012 9:57AM GMT
Jeanie,

Yes, Chuck and I recently exchange a slew of information. He is currently reviewing my research notes that I made about his work, so that we can discuss ideas and avenues ... Thank you for acknowledging my work.
Say, if you are a cousin of Chuck's, I hope that is the Pollitt side (or else we wouldn't be on this forum, ;0)) anyway, why don't you contact me direcly ... BWL@gate.net ... and we can talk some more ... I would be interesting in adding your branch to my material if I don't have it already.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Bryan

Please note email address change

Posted: 3 Jan 2001 4:23AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 8:10PM GMT
Please contact me at:

bwlane@earthlink.net

My new home page is:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bwlane/

Thank you,
Bryan

Re: Thomas POLLITT b 1640 Exeter, England d 1708 Somerset Co., Maryland

Posted: 12 Mar 2003 4:54AM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2012 9:58AM GMT
I too am a decendant of Thomas Pollitt from England born 1640. Looking for further information of Jonathan Jr.....birth date and place.
Thanks
Jan McRevey
jmc@ezl.com

Posted: 1 May 2003 6:29PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2012 9:59AM GMT
Surnames: POLLITT
Kathryn,

It has been so long since I have been online, I am not sure I have ever answered this question ....
.... Yes, that is the Pollitt Line that I come from ...

if you can still get this msg ... what is your documentation for Exeter, England??

Bryan

Pollitt (Pollett) (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2003 7:03PM GMT
Thos. Pollitt was born 1640 in Exeter, Eng. Came to Maryland 1668 with his brother John. John was First Mate on a hip called The Promise, John set Thmas up in a rading post on Chesapeake Bay. John was later lost at sea. let me know if these are your ancestors. I have more information.
Jeanie

Bryan Lane (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2003 8:12PM GMT
Actually, yes this my line of ancestors .... and my question to you was ... what is your documentation or source for Exeter, England, and the Ship Promise and the brother John... can you elaborate further, please.

Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions