Search for content in message boards

Marie LE ROY, Barbara & Regina LEININGER, Owen GIBSON, David BRECKENRIDGE,Indian Captives/Escape

Marie LE ROY, Barbara & Regina LEININGER, Owen GIBSON, David BRECKENRIDGE,Indian Captives/Escape

Posted: 25 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2004 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: LE ROY, LEININGER, BRECKENREACH, BRECKENRIDGE, BASTIAN, POST, GIBSON
The Narrative relating to the capture and escape of Marie LE ROY and Barbara LEININGER is told by the two girls. Marie LeROY was born at Brondrut, in Switzerland. About five she arrived, with her parents, in this country (22 Nov 1752). They settled fifteen miles from Fort Schamockin (Fort Augusta, now Sunbury). Half a mile away from their plantation lived Barbara LEININGER with her parents, who came to Pennsylvania from Reutlingen, about ten years ago. The girls were captured on the 16th of October 1755. As the narrative consists of seven pages I will not attempt to rewrite their story of their escape from the Indian county and their return to Philadelphia, PA. If, however, this is your family, I will make a copy.

Others mentioned:
Regina LEININGER, sister to Barbara, captured;
LEROY, brother of Marie, captured;
Little girl, staying with the family, captured;
BASTIAN, a neighbor killed;
David BRECKENREACH (BRECKENRIDGE), Englishman, captive who also escaped;
Frederick POST, a German assigned to make peace;
Mary, a prisioner, a German woman who was the wife of a miller from the South Branch of the Potomac;
Owen GIBSON, a young Englishman captive, who also escaped;
Other prisioners captured on 16 Oct 1755: one man, one woman, five girls, three boys.

PA Genealogist and Historian, August 1990, Number 12, pp 10-16

Miriam

Henry Lininger

Posted: 18 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2006 8:25PM GMT
Surnames: LININGER
Hi I have been searching for the parents of Henry Lininger and I beleve ther is a conection to Barbara.I would like a copy to see.
thank you
susan

Re: Lininger

Posted: 21 Dec 2001 12:49AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2004 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Lininger, Fike, Sylvester, Bonheimer
The only Henrys I have found are (1) son of Lewis and Margaret, who married Mary Fike in 1869 and his son (2)Henry Sylvester born MD 1877 married Matilda Bonheimer and died in Louisville OH, buried at Forest Hill Cemetery,Canton Stark Co. OH in 1968.

Re: Marie LE ROY, Barbara & Regina LEININGER, Owen GIBSON, David BRECKENRIDGE,Indian Captives/Escape

Posted: 13 May 2002 12:28PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2004 1:35PM GMT
Surnames: LE ROY, LEININGER, LICK
Upon reading about Marie LeRoy and Barbara Leininger, indian captives, I notices others that were captured with them. What ever happened to Peter Lick and his 2 sons? Did they escape also or were they killed? Rissa

Re: Marie LE ROY, Barbara & Regina LEININGER, Owen GIBSON, David BRECKENRIDGE,Indian Captives/Escape

Vicky Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2002 11:57PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2004 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: LEININGER
My great-grandmother was a Leininger. We recently became aware of this story. I would love a copy of the article. I am gathering all the info I can. I plan to present it to my Dad as a Christmas gift.

Not sure how you want to send, so I'll provide a variety of contact info:
Vicky Nelson
1706 330th St
Titonka, IA 50840
Fax: 515-928-2897

Thanks so much.

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Leininger, Groome
My husband is a direct descendant of Barbara Leininger. I would love to have a copy of the narrative to share with his family. Hoping I'm not too late!
Vicki Groome in York County, PA

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 8:27PM GMT
I read this book years ago in school and loved it. We went on a field trip and visited the actual house Regina lived in. I would love to go back and visit, since I am much older now I would love to see it again. Does anyone know where it is located? I want to go for historical reasons only..i am interested in Pennsylvania history. Please email me at ashleyleech31@yahoo.com

Posted: 15 Nov 2010 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: Leininger
Are you speaking of the book: "Alone, But Not Alone" I think the author is Tracy Leininger. Or was there another book written about this story?
I would also like to know the location of the homestead! My husband is a direct descendant of Barbara Leininger, but I'm also also a fellow history nut!

Miriam Reyburn-Steele's Obituary

Posted: 22 Dec 2013 2:31AM GMT
Miriam Reyburn-Steele
March 26, 2011
The Inter-Mountain
Save |
Miriam Reyburn-Steele, 82, of St. Simons Island, Georgia, passed away on Tuesday, March 22, 2011, at her home, following a six-month illness.
She was born at New Kensington, Pennsylvania, on July 16, 1928, the daughter of Alfred Reyburn Steele and Grace Mildred Hendrickson Steele, who preceded her in death.
She was married to Robert Goff "Bob" Phillips for 25 years before they were divorced in 1974. During that time they owned and operated a number of successful businesses in Randolph County. Residing on a large farm, they raised Tennessee Walker horses and registered polled Hereford cattle and were actively involved in politics. Miriam was appointed to serve two four-year terms by both a Democrat governor and a Republican governor on the State Welfare Advisory Board in West Virginia. She was raised in the Methodist Church and later became a member of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Elkins where she sang in the church choir.
Article Photos

Reyburn-Steele
Miriam was employed by the West Virginia Division of Highways in the engineering department. A 1945 graduate of Elkins High School, she studied at Davis & Elkins College and obtained a bachelor's degree from Glenville State College. She also earned her real estate degree, an archaeological certificate, appraisal certificates and a paralegal degree. She worked for two years as an assistant forester. Later, she was an active real estate agent and a real estate appraiser for the West Virginia State Tax Commission. She retired from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the Pittsburgh Real Estate Department in real estate acquisition and as an appraiser for a 10-year field project for two locks/dams on the Monongahela River.
Miriam excavated at various historical and Indian archaeological sites in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Georgia. When she retired to St. Simons Island, Georgia, she continued to pursue her archeological interests as she recorded the graves at the African-American Cemetery on Sapelo Island, Georgia, for publication and recorded, plotted and compiled Volume I of the Graves of the African-American Village Cemetery and Musgrove Plantation.
Miriam was a member of the Fort Frederica Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution being proud of 10 patriots, John Boyd, Philip King, Robert Allison, John Allison, John Haft, Patrick Callan, William Thompson, Daniel Besore, George Rummel and Jacob May. She was also a member of the St. John's Parish Chapter of Daughters of the American Colonists, a charter member of the St. Simons Island Chapter of the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, a charter member of the First Families of Western Pennsylvania, a member of Daughters of the Union and a member of the First Families of Ohio.
A prolific writer and researcher, a number of genealogy/history books compiled by her have been shelved in various research libraries and the U.S. Library of Congress. Five remaining books are currently being edited by her daughter for publication.

Posted: 27 Apr 2014 5:06PM GMT
Contact me if you are interested in attending the private screening of the soon to be released movie:
Alone Yet Not Alone
At the Campus Theater in Lewisburg, PA on May 16, 2:00pm
Produced by Dr. James Leininger
The producer and lead actress Kelly Greyson will be in attendance
dpherbst@bfsf.org
I am Dominic Herbst
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions