Search for content in message boards

Rosenbaum Bank

Rosenbaum Bank

Posted: 13 Feb 2011 6:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Feb 2011 8:26PM GMT
I found records that my Austo-Hungarian ancestors had accounts at Rosenbaum Bank, but I thought they were Lutheran. Was Rosenbaum Bank only for Jewish Immigrants?

Re: Rosenbaum Bank

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 4:55PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2012 2:18PM GMT
Admin note:
If you'll provide more information about the bank, such as where it was located, perhaps someone will be able to help.

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 11:13PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2011 1:15PM GMT
Rosenbaum Bank was located in Philadelphia. Although I don't know much about it, I read that accounts were started at some ethnic banks, of which Rosenbaum Bank was one, in order to bring immigrants over from Europe in the late 1800s, early 1900s. I always thought my grandparents were Lutheran, but it appears that both of them held accounts at the Rosenbaum Bank, which was a Jewish Bank. I was just wondering if my gparents were really Jewish, or did the bank hold accounts for all ethnicities. My gparents came from Austria/Hungary.

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 3:47AM GMT
I also had Lutheran ancestors who had an account at Rosenbaum bank and questioned if my relatives had been Jewish as well! Knowing another person of Lutheran heritage has records in Rosenbaum leads me to believe there must have been some other ethnicities, perhaps friends of Jewish co-workers or neighbors, who used it for their relatives as well.

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 11:33AM GMT
Thanks Bunny. Can you tell me more about your ancestors? Did they live in the Philadelphia area? What ethnicity were they? etc.

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 1:15AM GMT
I'd be happy to! They were from Balbierischkas (sp?) Lithuania which I've seen listed as being in the provinces of Kovno Lithuania and Suwalki Poland (due to border changes). They were originally of German ethnicity. Balbierischkas was a large Jewish area from everything I've found but my relatives were Lutheran. Because of the Rosenbaum records, I've wondered if they had Jewish friends that had also immigrated to Philadelphia who referred them to the bank (or i'm going to find out they were Jewish originally!). My g-grandmother's brother funded through the bank the passage for their mother, her and 2 of her siblings who then arrived in 1890. Their father and another brother had all come over together a couple of years earlier for work, I'm assuming. They moved to Brooklyn shortly thereafter for reasons unknown. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Janet
per page

Find a board about a specific topic