Search for content in message boards

Joseph Bourgeois/1March 1898

Joseph Bourgeois/1March 1898

Posted: 7 Dec 2003 2:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info on Joseph Bourgeois b 1March 1898. Married Marie ? had a son Louis born in Canada abt 1924. Emmigrated to Waltham, MA by 1930 Census. Was Canadian/French. No other info is known. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kitty

Re: Joseph Bourgeois/1March 1898

Terri Bourgeois (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2004 2:04PM GMT
Hi Kitty! I have information for you about 4 different Joseph Bourgeois' from Canada. None seem to match the information you gave but hopefully this will be of some help.

1. Joseph Bourgeois b. Aug.28, 1839 at St.Jaques, Quebec. 2nd child of 13 to Jules Bourgeois & Tharsile Richard. He married Marie Tharsile Delima Veine on Nov. 24, 1863 at St. Liquori, Quebec.

2.Joseph Alphonse Bourgeois (nephew to Joseph #1) was the 2nd child of Francois Bourgeois and Rose-de-Lima Beaupre, born in 1872 in Perkinsfeild, Ontario. In 1896 he left for the Manitoba harvest and it was there he met Azilda Bruneau, daughter of Theophile Bruneau and Philomene Marion. Joseph married Azilda on July 6, 1887 in St. Jean Baptiste, Manitoba. Soon after their wedding, the couple left for Cohoes, New York. Joseph's father, Francois, had moved to the United States in the 1890's and it is assumed Joseph went there for employment as it is said that he was an entertainer and step dancer. He spent winters in Massachusetts and New York. The couple returned to St. Jean Baptiste for the birth of their son, Joseph Alphonse (named the same as his father) born April 28, 1898. They returned to Cohoes, New York late in the year and it is said that ater step dancing on New Year's Eve, he got pneumonia and died on January 2, 1899. On January 4th he was buried in Cohoes, New York. At this time, Azilda was expecting a second child. Oscar Joseph was born on March 20, 1899.

3.Joseph Alphonse Bourgeois, 1st child of Joseph Bourgeois and Azilda Bruneau was born on April 28, 1898 in St. Jean Baptiste, Manitoba. On October 3, 1923, Joseph married Aurore Lavallee daugher of Philomene (Lamoureux) and Pierre Lavallee of Letelier, Manitoba. Joseph was a horse breeder and farmer. He and Aurore had 3 children: Mathias Bourgeois, born Sept. 30, 1924, Joseph Alphonse Bourgeois born April 18, 1926 and Lucille Bourgeois born April 19, 1928. Jospeph died on February 4, 1029 in a fatal accident where he climbed on a load of logs to stabilize them and fell.

4.Joseph Alphonse Bourgeois was the 2nd child of Joseph Bourgeois and Aurore Lavallee born on April 28, 1926 in Letellier, Manitoba. Joseph married Grace Hossack, in Winnipeg on May 5, 1945. They had 5 children all born in Winnipeg. Alan Bourgeois, born born Feb. 5, 1946, Donald Bourgeois, born Dec. 23, 1947, Mariette Bourgeois, born May 3, 1952, Georgette Bourgeois born April 8, 1955 and Lance Bourgeois born Oct. 30, 1960. Jospeph still lives in Transcona, Manitoba.

Joseph #4 is my grandfather's cousin!

Hope this helps and if you have any additional questions please email me at Terelda@yahoo.com

Muriel Ducharme (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2004 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: BOURGEOIS
Kity, my mom was a BOURGEOIS, whose ancestors were from QC, many of whom emigrated to the New England states, including MA. Unfortunately, JOSEPH & MARIE are very popular names usually given to ALL QC children at baptism, along with other names. Some used the JOSEPH & MARIE, others not; therefore, looking for such ancestors with the little information you gave, it rather difficult. I did check the DROUIN registry & haven't found any JOSEPH who married a MARIE, who would fit the approximate marriage date, which, I presume, was in the early 1920's & may even have been in 1923 if you say that their son, LOUIS, was born about 1924. QC couples usually had a child every year.
If you've the time, you may be interested in looking through our BOURGEOIS albums on Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/murmurd
There you'll find BOURGEOIS ancestors & living relatives, who were and are established in CT, NH and MA. Should you recognize a name, a face or a place, do leave a message in one of the GUESTBOOKS and I'll get back to you.

Posted: 5 Mar 2004 5:28PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2005 7:13PM GMT
Thanks, Muriel. Since I posted that message I found out that Joseph Bourgeois was born in Cheticamp,NS. Marie's maiden name Poirier. Don't have anything more. Thanks again. Kitty

Posted: 30 Apr 2004 2:05AM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2005 4:34PM GMT
Surnames: Bourgeois
Dear Kitty:
this is my grandfather. you have the info correct. If you need to contact me about more info please e mail me.

Posted: 30 Apr 2004 2:10AM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2005 4:34PM GMT
Surnames: Bourgeois
Dear Kitty:
Already alerted you to this Joseph Bourgeois, he is definatly my grandfather, new him well. You may e mail me. Please put kitty Bourgeois in the subject line so I do not delete you.
thanks Beverly

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 6:38AM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Hossack, Bourgeois
Hi Terri:
I am interested in making a connection regarding Joe Bourgeois. He married a cousin of mine..Grace Hossack of Winnipeg. Some time ago I replied to your e-mail address but had no response.

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 2:19PM GMT
i am the grandson of a Grace Hossack need info email me

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 5:58PM GMT
thank you for responding. The Joseph Bourgeois that I was looking for married Marie Poirer. Thanks again

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 12:11AM GMT
Edited: 19 May 2013 12:19PM GMT
You want the following couple:

Joseph BOURGEOIS 26y son of Charles Bourgeois & Marie Romard
Marie POIRIER 25y daughter of Joseph Poirier & Domithilde Poirier
m Cheticamp, NS [St. Peter’s Ch.] 12 Feb 1924

Their certificate can be viewed at (after accepting the conditions page) Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management web site:

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=...

Many people from Cheticamp, NS migrated to Waltham.

Dennis Boudreau

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions