Search for content in message boards

STARKS/Any of your family in this one?

STARKS/Any of your family in this one?

Posted: 5 Sep 2003 3:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Mar 2004 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Starks
Adam O. Starks born possibly in Kanawha Co.,Va. around 1829-1832, s/o Samuel Starks and Eleanor Lough, d/o Adam and Mary Lough, Samuel son of John. Adam married a Susan Jones in 1856 had 2 children John E. born 1857 and Elizabeth A. born 1859. Did Adam and Susan divorce? Adam was in the civil war, signed his oathe of discharge from the Office of Military Prisons, he was a pow at Camp Chase, Ohio, January 5th, 1864.
Adam had wife Hannah Catherine Sheffer, born 1843 in Augusta Co., Va., d/o William Bell Sheffer and Catherine Crum. William was son of Daniel. Adam and Hannah had following children: Samuel Galloway Starks born Illinois Dec. 29, 1865, married Annie Mae (Maggie A.) Simmons d/o Jeremiah and Catherine Helmick Simmons. Nellie Catheryn Starks born in Missouri April 6, 1868, married 1st, James W. Glass, 2nd George Mick, Nancy Jane Starks born Pendleton Co., Va 1870 married Thomas M. Kirkpatrick, Mary S. Starks born April 19, 1873 in Augusta Co., Va. Robert Allen Starks born Sept. 27, 1875 in Highland, Va., married 1st, Mary Catherine Arbogast, 2nd Carrie May Hedrick, Joseph H. Starks (twin) born May 10, 1878 in Pocahontas Co., WV., Carrie Lou Starks (twin) born May 10, 1878 in Pocahontas Co., WV, married Carson C. Harper in Pendleton Co. WV, Minnie Elizabeth Starks born 1880 married James Walter Simmons in Pocahontas Co., WV, George Henry Starks born Nov.13, 1882 in Va. married Estee Judy, George died in Darke County, Ohio in 1967.
Please note the states of Illinois and Missouri, I need to find out where in those states did they live.
Anyone have any more information that they would like to share, or if anyone sees anything on here they can use, email me as I may have more information for you.
Thank you,
Sally msstorch@eohio.net

Adam STARKS & Hannah, Greenbank, Poc., WV, 1880

Posted: 5 Sep 2003 3:33PM GMT
We covered some of this, but this may save time for somebody else. FamilySearch database of the 1880 Census, Greenbank, Pocahontas, WV:

Starks, Adam, 51, WV WV WV; wf. Hannah C., 48 {sic} VA WV Hesse Darmst.; ch., Samuel G., 14, b. IL; Nellie C., 12, b. MO; Nancy J., 10, WV; Mary S., 8, VA; Robert A., 5, VA; Joseph H. & Caroline L., both 1, b. WV. {Since two more children were born, 1880 & 1882, Hannah couldn't have been 48 in 1880. Your birth year of 1843 is probably correct for Hannah. Since Adam was a POW early in 1864, they probably married at the end of that year, since Samuel was born at the end of 1865. The twins may have been b. 10 May 1879, since it is more likely a date recorded later would have been a year off. It is unlikely they would not have known the ages of one-year-old twins in 1880.}

Jeremiah SIMMONS, 37, WV WV WV; wf. Catherine, 40, VA WV WV; ch. James H., 15, VA; Julia L., 14, WV; Mary C., 9, VA; Geo. W., 6, WV; Sarah J., 3, WV; & Maggie A., 8 mos., WV. The last child must have been Maggie Ann, aka Annie M., b. 9 Oct. 1879, m. Sam. G. STARKS.

In Union, Barbour, WV, 1880: Abraham WHEELER, 68, WV WV WV; wf. Susan E., 58, EV EV EV [?]; ch. Sophia E., 44; Stephen W., 39; James F., 32; & Jno. W., 28; also Jno. STARKS, 22; Elizabeth STARKS, 21; & Hanah STARKS, 19. {The last three were just listed as children, but they couldn't have been Abraham's. They must have been Susan's. Hanah had to have been either Susan's third child or the wife of Jno.}

Carson HARPER was 3, apparently son of Miles & grandson of Sylvanus HARPER of Union.

In Edray, Poc., WV, 1880: H. J. & Sarah ARBOGAST had dau. Mary, aged 1.

Do you have any information on GALLOWAY?

Re: Adam STARKS & Hannah, Greenbank, Poc., WV, 1880

Posted: 5 Sep 2003 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Starks
Marilyn,
According to their birth certificates, which I have copies of Joseph and Carrie Lou was born May 10, 1878.
I have not found anything on the surname Galloway/Starks, but some have told me to look in CT.
Carson C. Harper was born Dec. 20, 1875 at Riverton, WV a son of Nicholas Miles Harper and Christina Ruth Lawrence. He is a descendent down from a Johannes and Anna Herper. Thanks to Emil Haselberger, Jr. I have the Harper Family Tree, think he has about 30-40 years of research in it.
Also, in the 1900 census Hannah had she had 8 children, two of whom as deceased. I'm wondering if that would of been Joseph and Mary as I have not been able to find anything on them, except for their births.
Thanks for your reply,
Sally

Re: STARKS/Any of your family in this one?

Posted: 17 Sep 2003 11:48PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2003 10:22PM GMT
Surnames: Starks, Behymer, Bixler
The information I have on my family starts with Samuel Starks and his wife Nellie Lon. Sounds a lot like Lough, and Nellie could be a nickname for Eleanor. Do you know any of Adam's brother and sisters names? My gggrandfather, Samuel and Nellie's son was James Grey Starks born January 25, 1834 near Terre Haute, Indiana; died October 11, 1911 at Centerville, Appanoose County, Iowa, where he is buried. I have never been able to find who his brothers and sisters were. Would appreciate any help.

Posted: 25 Oct 2003 4:41PM GMT
Marjorie,
I do not know Adams siblings names, but I'm going to post the names of his children, as back then they usually named children after their parents and siblings.
Adams children:
John, Elizabeth, Samuel Galloway, Nellie Cathyrn, Nancy Jane, Mary S., Robert Allen, Joseph H., Carrie Lou (Caroline), Minnie Elizabeth, George Henry. Do you have any of these names in your family line?
Thanks,
Sally

Posted: 29 Oct 2003 6:41PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2003 10:22PM GMT
That's why I think they are related. James Grey Starks had children named John, Elizabeth, and Mary. His son Earley Marcellus had children named Catherine, Nellie, Elizabeth, and Henry.

Posted: 29 Oct 2003 7:01PM GMT
Marjorie,
Do you know what year Earley was born? As my father James Adam was born 1908 and I remember him talking about a cousin Earley, but I assumed it was the Simmons side, not the Starks. I hope we are on to something here.
Thank you,
Sally

Posted: 29 Oct 2003 10:24PM GMT
Earley Marcellus Starks (how would you like to have that for a name) was born March 26, 1856 near Terre Haute, Indiana. He died December 1945. His first wife was Louisa Jane Wright, who only lived a few years after they married, then he married Mary Ann Bixler, my ggrandma.

Posted: 15 Apr 2004 10:36PM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2004 2:30PM GMT
Wonder how many Earley's there was in the family, as I do remember as a child my father mentioning that name as a relative, but maybe just a coincidence, it may of been from another family. Maybe it was suppose to be Earl, but we also sometimes wondered with the way some named children, someone with name Earley could mean, born in Early hours or was a premie. Be interesting to know where it did come from.
Sally

Re: Adam STARKS & Hannah, Greenbank, Poc., WV, 1880

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 3:41PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2005 3:04PM GMT
Update on Mary S. Starks, as a young child she was taken to Missouri, where she lived with a Henry and Elizabeth Wimer family. After Elizabeth died, Mary and Henry Wimer, Sr. married Oct. 10, 1895. According to their death certificates Henry was 34 yrs. older than Mary. Mary died August 23, 1941. So have no idea what children Hannah was referring to as being deceased in the 1900 census. I am now in search of the parents of a Henry H. Starks from Pocahontas County, WV. Is this my Joseph H. Starks?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic