Search for content in message boards

Michael Duffy of (Montrath?) West Meath

Michael Duffy of (Montrath?) West Meath

Posted: 7 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Aug 2002 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: DUFFY, DUNNE, MANNING, DOOLAN
I have recently discovered that my great grandfather, Michael Duffy, came from West Meath. (On a marriage certificate of his son, the place name looks like 'Montrath'). I would be very grateful if anyone can give me any information at all on Michael or his wife Bridget (nee Dunne) - or their children. I only know of one son, my grandfather James, who moved to Co. Dublin and then on to England in 1878.

I believe Michael Duffy was a coachman and lived to the ripe old age of 104 - although it has been suggested to me that this may be an exageration! I do know that he was blind for the last 30 years of his life though.

Please - has anyone heard of him? Does anyone know where he is buried? Does the address 'Moate' mean anything to anyone? Does anyone have any ideas where I can look next?

I thank you for reading this and hope that someone can help me,

Myra Duffy

Dunne, Duffy etal

Jim Leogue (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dunne, Duffy, Eighan, Leogue
Hi Myra,

I was interested in your posting as I believe my great great grandmother was Anne Dunne born near Rochfortbridge (Mullingar) near Piercetown. She married Thomas Eighan and they sired my great grandmother Elizabeth Eighan.

Elizabeth married John Leogue and one of their daughters, Katherine emigrated to the U.S. and married a man by the name of Duffy in Boston. I am now wondering if she knew him before she left Ireland. I did not know the Duffy name came from Westmeath.

Moate is in Westmeath and there is a Heritage Research Center located there.

The Dunne name spelled with the "E" is very common in Westmeath. I looked through my files but could not find a Bridget in the time frame that you are looking for.

I have not heard of Montrath but then there are a lot of places that I haven't heard of.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck.

Posted: 14 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Aug 2002 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: DUFFY, DUNNE, MANNING, DOOLAN
Hi Jim,
Lovely to get a response about the Dunne family (whether related or not!)
I don't believe that Duffy is common in West Meath - I think it is in Dublin and another area (I can't remember where now), but there was an awful lot of movement about then wasn't there due to the famines?
As for the name Dunne, I didn't realise it was prevalent in West Meath, so thank you for that snippet of info too. I did find a Bridget Dunne on the LDS who was born in Laois Queens county about the right time, but I can't prove she was 'mine', so still trawling!
Michael Duffy & Bridget Dunne married and had children. One was James Duffy (born 1852). He married in Kingstown but moved to England. His eldest (of 10) son emigrated to MA (USA) in 1906 - I don't suppose this fits in with any of your info? (I 'lost' him in 1910! - still in MA.) His name was Michael Duffy too, born 1875. Be very pleased if you know of any info.
Thanks again for your help,
Myra

Dunne

Joe (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dunne, Eagan
I am looking for info on John Dunne m Julia Eagan and had c William,Kiernan,Patrick,Delia,Mary, and Elizabeth.
William John m Teresa Lyman 24 Apr 1901 Drumrary and moved to NY. William is my Grandfather. E Mail if you reply.
Joe

Dunne

Joe (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dunne, Eagan
I am looking for info on John Dunne m Julia Eagan and had c William,Kiernan,Patrick,Delia,Mary, and Elizabeth.
William John m Teresa Lyman 24 Apr 1901 Drumrary and moved to NY. William is my Grandfather. E Mail if you reply.
Joe

Surname: Dunne, Eighan

Posted: 3 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2003 3:07AM GMT
Surnames: DUNNE, EIGHAN, MURRAY
Dear Jim

I have just come across your response to Myra Duffy's posting. I think we possibly have the same Great Great Grandparents & that your Great Grandmother Elizabeth & my Great Grandfather Thomas may have been brother & sister.
My Great Great Grandmother was Anne Dunne & she married Thomas Eighan (born Rochfortbridge) & sired my Great Grandfather Thomas Eighan who migrated to Australia & married Bridget Murray who was also from Co. Westmeath.
I have been doing Thomas Eighan/Egan family tree Ireland -Australia for a number of years & have nearly completed all the Australian descendents.
My records show that Thomas & Ann had 7 children My Great Grandfather Thomas was their fourth child & Elizabeth was the fifth child. This information regarding the number of children may not be correct as it was obtained by a researcher in Ireland & I haven't checked to find out if it is correct.
I would be very pleased to hear from you
Regards
Pat Liebich

Re: Michael Duffy of (Montrath?) West Meath

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 5:14PM GMT
My ancestral Duffys were from Mullingar in Westmeath. They were Peter Duffy and Mary Quade, whose son James Duffy married Catherine Kelly in Mullingar. They immigrated to the United States and settled in Chicago. I know of a few Kelly siblings from church records, but nothing else about other Duffys unfortunately.

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: Duffy
Hi Myra
Montrath is within or beside the village of Rahugh between Kilbeggan and Tyrrellspass.
There are lots of Duffys in Westmeath (including me) and I am from Moate, which is about 9 miles east of Athlone, and about 14 miles west of Rahugh.
I had an uncle Michael died in infancy 1920, no other Michaels further back known to me, however, I did have a Nugent ancestor (on Duffys side) who was a coachman but back in the days of the horse & cart that was hardly uncommon. I am curious as to your 'Moate' query?

TomásD

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 8:12PM GMT
Hi Myra Montrath is beside Rahugh near Kilbeggan .westmeath. My mother was born and reared in Rahugh and I have a cousin married to a Dunne and they live in Montrath . There is also several families of Duffys around there and also near Newtown. I went to school in the 50ties with an Eighan from Tyrrellspass . Jim Hogan Coventry

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 8:17PM GMT
Surnames: Wyer
Hi Myra Montrath is beside Rahugh near Kilbeggan .westmeath. My mother was born and reared in Rahugh and I have a cousin married to a Dunne and they live in Montrath . There is also several families of Duffys around there and also near Newtown. I went to school in the 50ties with an Eighan from Tyrrellspass . Jim Hogan Coventry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic