Search for content in message boards

Loamland Plantation

Loamland Plantation

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 11:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have any old photos of Loamland Plantation. The plantation and old house sits at the intersecton of La HWY 566 and La HWY 571 in south Tensas Parish, a few miles northeast of Clayton, La. My grandparents, Jim Lee Morgan and his wife, Mary Jane "Mollie" Leonard and their children, share-cropped on Loamland Plantation from about 1926 to 1934, when they both died. They lived in some "cropper" houses or shacks just north of the overseers house in a grove of trees as told by my Dad (one of 11 children). These share-cropper houses are no longer there. He used to play with the other kids under the porch of the "big house", or overseers house. This old house dated from before the Civil War and was built with two separate square brick rooms on the ground floor which also served to support the main floor of the house which was a story above ground level. A large porch, supported by brick columns, ran the full length of the front, or east side of the house, with wide steps leading down to the ground. A chimney stood on the south end of the old house and allowed for fireplaces in the brick room on the ground floor and also in the large room on the south end of the second or main floor. The porch was high enough off the ground that a wagon could be driven under it and supplies unloaded for storage in the two large brick rooms. Due to inadequate care, the house began showing its age in the 1970’s with sections starting to collapse in 2004. I have pictures of the old house from the 1980's and about 2006 if anyone wants them.
According to one of my uncles, the plantation was owned by Mrs. Mary Eure who lived in Mississippi and was managed by her brother-in-law, John Quinn.
Barry Morgan

Re: Loamland Plantation

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 11:17PM GMT
Although I am not familiar with the house, I did run across a picture you might want to look at of it at:

http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/photo/399528/loamland-p...

Hope it is maybe what you are looking for?

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: MORGAN
Kathleen,
That is exactly the house I was looking for. Thanks so much. I'll get in touch with the owner and see if I can use this in the family history I am writing.
Barry Morgan

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 1:35PM GMT
Barry,
I'm just happy to be of help... I know how hard it is to track down any kind of info. Just be sure to 'pay it forward'if you can... Happy hunting!
Kathleen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions